RM Auctions - GT40

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Likely I am late to the show, but RM Auction on a high def. channel tonight showed #73 GT40 go for $2,250,000 plus $225,000 fee.

- doc

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
Just stumbled across this - does anyone know the proper serial # for that car? I'd like to check it against the Spain book

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
eshrink said:
Likely I am late to the show, but RM Auction on a high def. channel tonight showed #73 GT40 go for $2,250,000 plus $225,000 fee.

- doc

which sale was this? I have most all their catalogs.

06VistaBlueGT

Aug 30, 2006
Red Rocket said:
Just stumbled across this - does anyone know the proper serial # for that car? I'd like to check it against the Spain book

I can help you out on that one. That car is GT-103, the oldest existing GT40 known to man. GT101 & GT102 both crashed and burned so this is the oldest left. History on this is HUGE!! This was the first GT40 to ever finish a race for Ford, AND win a race for Ford (driven by Ken Miles, and Lloyd Ruby). Bruce McLaren also had some time behind the wheel on this car. It won its race after Shelby America got ahold of it, and reworked things to make it better at racing.
Eventually it as sold to a very good friend of my father, back in the mid to late 60's. He had it since then, up till the spring/summer of 2004, as he finally sold it. He never thought the place who bought it (Symbolic Motor Cars in La Jolla, who repainted it Blue & white, back to original race specs, when it won its 1st race) would ever meet his "non-negotiable number". The family friend routinely vintage raced it up till mid 70's then retired it. He did take it to all the GT40 meets, and its in that big panaramic picture of the GT40 reunion at the Glen in 1989. If any of you on here has that pic, its the red car at the very front of the pic, with the 03 on the side, signifying its the 3rd car ever built. Pretty much he took it to local cruise nights, (had a plate for it too, lol) once he was done vintage racing it. Funny thing, most people thought it was a kit. Little did they know they were looking at the oldest and most important GT40 ever built.
I could go on and on about it, but if any of you has the GT40 books by Legate, or Spain, you can read all about GT103 in there. Quick funny story. Year was 2000, the very first time I saw this car, I was at a picnic with my dad mom, and a bunch of my dad's buddies from the AACA. This picnic is a by invitation only thing, and I never miss it. Great food, and wonderful cars galore. Anyhow, I heard this LOUD ROAR, of an engine and exhaust. When it pulled in, I couldn't believe my eyes, a GT40, and it was real. My dad saw my expression (a holy *&^% look on my face) and asked "what was it?". My dad knows old cars, just not race cars. If you need a Model A rebuilt, or a Model T fixed, he's the man for the job, he just isn't into old race cars. Regular antiques ,and classics is his thing. Super mechanic, old school.
Anyway, I tell him "its a Ford GT40, and I thnk its real!!!" Now, I had never saw a real one in person. To make this short. I chatted with the owner for a whlle. Nicest guy in the world, bar none. Wnen the picnic wound down, and I thanked him for his time, in showing me the car, I walked back to my dad's 66 Mustang ( I drove that over, he took his '29 A roadster). Dad said, "Hey Jeff, you know that guy who owns the GT40? He grew up down the street from me. He was good friends with your grandfater!!" You got to be kidding me!! Small world. Needless to say, I became good friends with him, and went ot check out his collection of cars. Needless to say, he has some rare things. If anyone wants some more info on the GT40, feel free to respond. I just figured since I saw the post, I could add some info for those interested. I do miss that car though. :thumbsup

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
great post... thanks!

cudacharlie

Dec 21, 2005
SoCal
Cool post!

Err.... not to hijack, but ... 06VistaBlueGT.... does your username indicate that you have a Ford GT in VISTA blue, as opposed to MIDNIGHT blue? If so.... oooooohhhh....

.... pics? maybe? please? pretty please?

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
cudacharlie said:
Cool post!

Err.... not to hijack, but ... 06VistaBlueGT.... does your username indicate that you have a Ford GT in VISTA blue, as opposed to MIDNIGHT blue? If so.... oooooohhhh....

.... pics? maybe? please? pretty please?

Vista blue...Mustang color...my guess is he is owns a Mustang GT. Nice car BTW.

Great post 06VistaBlue, thanks.

06VistaBlueGT

Aug 30, 2006
Hey Charlie, Chris. :cheers . Sorry to disappoint, but I have a 2006 Mustang GT. Its customized. Vista Blue, with painted Performance White LeMans Stripes, ducktail spoiler, sequentials, Borla exhaust, Airaid CAI, among many other mods. I only wish I could afford a Ford GT. And if I could, I probably would send it to Genaddi to get it repainted Vista Blue. That color is so good in the sun with the stripes.

Guys, to me the Mustang GT is my Ford GT. Its something I could afford, modify within my budget, and have fun with, and take to shows. Now, if I could only win the powerball. Then I'll have a Ford GT in my garage, right next to it. :biggrin

Back to the GT40. I figured some of you would love that story. I really do miss that car. Just to be near a true piece of american racing history was amazing, albeit it a short time. At least it went to a good home. :thumbsup