RIP Chris Amon

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Dead at 73. Great, though often unlucky driver.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
That's a shame. I read a recent interview with him, so at least he was around for the fiftieth anniversary. He and Bruce were both class acts.

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/17207172/f1-great-chris-amon-dies-aged-73

From Ron Dennis:
"It was with profound sadness that I heard the news this morning that Chris Amon had passed away," Dennis said."Chris started 96 Grands Prix but won not one of them -- and it is safe to say that he was the greatest racing driver never to have won a race at the very highest level. He nearly won a fair few, but always it seemed that his luck would run out before he saw the chequered flag.

"However, he won at Le Mans, in a mighty 7.0-litre Ford, exactly 50 years ago, his co-driver his friend and fellow Kiwi, Bruce McLaren, whose name still graces the team to which I have devoted my working life. I have not met Chris for many years, but, even so, I have extremely fond memories of him, and indeed I would describe him as one of the most likeable men I have met in my long racing career.

"For all those reasons I want to take this opportunity to extend the heartfelt sympathies of all 3300 of us at McLaren to the family and friends of a great New Zealander, a true gentleman, and one of the fastest racing drivers there ever was: the one and only Christopher Arthur Amon.

"May he rest in peace."

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
I heard this news first thing this morning. I immediately thought of this year's Le Mans and how both Bill and Edsel Ford made mention of him. I am sorry to have never had the privilege to meet the man. God's Grace to him and his family.

Vince H

Last edited:

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Perfectly put Vince.

Condolences to the family.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
RIP Chris, and condolences to his family.

If there is an afterlife, I could see an interesting 'Le Mans past' dialogue between Ken Miles, Chris and Carroll.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Sad news indeed. Was hoping to meet him at lemans .. Not too many left from that era..

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Yes, very sad indeed. So many of my boyhood sports hero's have passed.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
I heard this news first thing this morning. I immediately thought of this year's Le Mans and how both Bill and Edsel Ford made mention of him. I am sorry to have never had the privilege to meet the man. God's Grace to him and his family.

Vince H

+1 Well said.