reverse question

jkgt

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2006
Colorado
I searched and could not find any info on why it is so hard to get it into reverse. Does anyone else have this problem or is it me or am I doing something wrong? Thanks beforehand.

joe

canuck

GT Owner
Mar 4, 2006
It is meant to be a difficult venture in order to prevent you from putting it in reverse accidently. It is meant to be a both arms effort so don't worry. It is normal.

jkgt

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2006
Colorado
Thanks. I thought so but had to make sure. :willy

BigsGT

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 8, 2006
Austin Texas
I've heard people have this problem but I haven't. I've gotta push mine over but it goes without two hands and without a great deal of effort. Do I need to send it back? :biggrin

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
Mine required two hands when new. Now it still takes effort but I can put into reverse with one hand. I suspect it will get easier as you put miles on the car.

Eric

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
I can do my with one arm, but it's not easy. I usually use two.
I'm sure any guy with a fair amount of muscle could do it one handed.
I think the point is that it's not nearly as easy as most cars, and that is normal.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I have never had to apply force, does not sound right...

prmoldoaks

GT Owner
Jul 31, 2006
I have always need both hands, but it goes in every time. I think its standard and as you all say to prevent you hitting reverse by mistake!

Being a Brit, I'm use my left hand (normally) to chage gear, although my right hand is stronge, this car does need both hands.

Blue Moose

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Chandler,Arizona.
My muscles must be more developed than I thought - it goes into reverse fairly easily for me (Just don't tell hubby I've been driving it) :biggrin
Mrs. Blue Moose

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
No Moose Lady, something is dead wrong if it takes two hands. :wink

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
it's tight but have only used 1 hand

jkgt

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2006
Colorado
Ok you have me worried no. I am a pretty big guy and (I might be a little to gentle on my baby but..) i do have to use a soft two hands to get into reverse. I would not say a lot of force is needed but it does not just slip in. I will have to call the dealership in denver and ask their tech to look at it when I get the oil changed.

joe

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
If I start in neutral and give it a good pull, I go right past the 1st-2nd slot and into the reverse slot. A little practice and you can get the force needed down pat.

TACHY

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 4, 2006
Fort Myers, Florida
Mine has only 100 miles on it and also difficult to get into 2nd, but not two handed.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
My reverse is definately not a two armed effort....regarding second gear I've found the lighter and smoother I shift into all gears the better the tranny likes it. A heavy hand and hard throw just does not shift near as clean and quick. :thumbsup

griffbl

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 8, 2006
Dallas, TX
Reverse and Second

NEVER any problems going to Second gear, but that may be in part to the fact that even when the car is cold, it is HOT in Dallas, and the transaxle and fluid stay warmer than in other areas.....as for reverse, it requires deliberate effort, as it should, and by design, on my car.....but it is certainly NOT a two handed affair. Sometimes I let it roll a bit from neutral if there is any incline whatsover, and it always goes right in.

Griffbl

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
KJRGT said:
My reverse is definately not a two armed effort....regarding second gear I've found the lighter and smoother I shift into all gears the better the tranny likes it. A heavy hand and hard throw just does not shift near as clean and quick. :thumbsup

...that is how I see it, agreed. :wink

sandman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 10, 2006
Gardnerville, Nv.
Are we talking about the effort required to move the shifter left to position so it will slide forward into reverse. Or an actual problem inside the trans engaging reverse? If it's the former mine takes a little effort moving all the way left. The wife uses the two hand method to get the shifter all the way to the left.

GT Owner
Jun 26, 2006
I've driven four different GT's, all new, and it just takes a "slap" to get over into reverse. Never needed two hands.

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
1827 said:
I've driven four different GT's, all new, and it just takes a "slap" to get over into reverse. Never needed two hands.

I agree with that... Just go as far right as possible with the leaver and use the spring effect back across. Sometimes the box is a the point where the gears are "tooth against tooth" but then I just go forward a few inches and try again.