Replacing Trunk Latch

AJK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
If your remote doesn't release the trunk latch but the manual cable release works there could be something broken in the latch. The replacement latch comes with the cable attached but you can remove the cable and attach your existing cable so you don't have to deal with the fender liner to get at that end of the cable to remove it. The following are instructions and pictures that I hope will help to understand the process.

1) remove the electrical connection from the latch by forcing the clip retainer from the bottom so it can be pulled out of the latch and the plastic cover that slides over the receiving end of the latch
2) remove the 3 bolts holding the latch in its mount and slide it out
3) now pull as much cable as you can to make it easier to work on the latch
4) the pictures are of the replacement latch before installing it in the car but the process of taking the latch apart in or out of the car is the same although more difficult when attached to the cable in the car
5) the first picture is what the latch looks like out of the car
6) the second picture is the opposite side where you must remove the two screws that attach the metal part of the latch to the plastic part
7) the third picture shows the plastic part that slides out of the metal part
8) next you have to remove the remaining screw from the plastic part of the latch and use a flat blade screwdriver to push the plastic spades starting at one end and working your way around the housing to get it apart
9) the fourth picture shows what is inside
10) you can now remove the cable from the housing and the latch from the car and after taking the new one apart exchange it
11) assemble the plastic part of the latch in reverse order
12) before sliding the plastic part back into the metal part MAKE SURE YOU MANUALLY PUT THE LATCH IN THE CLOSED POSITION
13) the last picture shows the broken plastic part that was found in the latch after taking it apart

I think this got broke as a result of an improper adjustment of the trunk latch such that it had to be closed with force. I have it adjusted now so that I can set the lid down and use hand pressure over the latch area and it closes

14) after installing the latch back in the car test both the remote and the cable release by closing the latch by hand before closing the trunk

AJK

Attachments

• 28hn3tt.jpg
    28hn3tt.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 140
  • de5kds.jpg
    de5kds.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 142
  • 2v3k8xx.jpg
    2v3k8xx.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 141
  • 213hzdk.jpg
    213hzdk.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 137

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Hey, is your car out of warranty, or is retirement that boring you have to tear your GT apart? I let the dealer fix mine (it was the little slot car motor that went bad). You don't need to remove the fender liner to get at the cable. But it is nice to see it torn apart (mine was wisked away back to Ford). New one made in Mexico, like mine?

AJK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Hey, is your car out of warranty, or is retirement that boring you have to tear your GT apart? I let the dealer fix mine (it was the little slot car motor that went bad). You don't need to remove the fender liner to get at the cable. But it is nice to see it torn apart (mine was wisked away back to Ford). New one made in Mexico, like mine?

I wish I was retired then I'd have more time to enjoy the GT. The part was a warranty item but I like to keep it away from the dealers as much as possible. To get at the cable by the fender release lever at a minimum you have to remove the liner plugs and wrestle with the liner to get between it and the fender which isn't fun (been there done that). :thumbsup

New one from Mexico.

Last edited: