Removing the fender liner is a real b#*$!

dtomaso1

GT Owner
Dec 6, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
I R&R'd the fuel filler nozzle this weekend. Job went smoothly, except for that damned fender liner! Lots of time and skinned up knuckles trying to remove and replace the F liner.

My method... I removed all fasteners then grabbed the lower right and lower left inner (closest to rotor) portions of the liner (Being careful to not bend the fender lip or pressure ding the fender) I curved them away and outwards from the wheel well, pulling these curved pieces up over the rotor. This allowed the liner just enough give to peel away from the fender lip. Then one side of the liner can be shifted around the rotor and the rest of the liner follows.

Is it really this difficult? I must be missing something. Does anyone have an easier way to get the liner out?

Thx, Tom

Aug 25, 2006
I R&R'd the fuel filler nozzle this weekend. Job went smoothly, except for that damned fender liner! Lots of time and skinned up knuckles trying to remove and replace the F liner.

My method... I removed all fasteners then grabbed the lower right and lower left inner (closest to rotor) portions of the liner (Being careful to not bend the fender lip or pressure ding the fender) I curved them away and outwards from the wheel well, pulling these curved pieces up over the rotor. This allowed the liner just enough give to peel away from the fender lip. Then one side of the liner can be shifted around the rotor and the rest of the liner follows.

Is it really this difficult? I must be missing something. Does anyone have an easier way to get the liner out?

Thx, Tom

Tom that which you experienced is the norm as such I created a two piece system that makes the process easy and painless resulting in an OEM integrated system.

I will gladly share the processes; in fact as I recall there is a thread that I created on this very subject long ago.

Takes care

Shadowman

dtomaso1

GT Owner
Dec 6, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
Thanks shadowman, saw your past post about piecing two halves of the liner together to make an easily removed unit. Great info.

Short of doing that, I was just curious what the pros do to remove the liner. Judging from your earlier response, they basically do the same thing...muscle it out.

Aug 25, 2006
Thanks shadowman, saw your past post about piecing two halves of the liner together to make an easily removed unit. Great info.

Short of doing that, I was just curious what the pros do to remove the liner. Judging from your earlier response, they basically do the same thing...muscle it out.

You are welcome

I remove and reinstall many one piece too and you do not need to "muscle them out"; in fact they will come out nicely however it can be tricky; the greatest concern is secondary damage to the inner fender lip if you are not careful; always take your time and use plenty of blue tape. If frustrated walk away and then return when composed.

Takes care

Shadowman

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
With the expert help of the Shadow, I found them easier to remove than I thought. The key to me was getting the car to the proper working height so that you can get the arm leverage to curl them inward. I set the axle height to around the mid torso level. If I had to do them while kneeling, or sitting on the ground, it would have been more difficult.

Having a lift is a big plus when working on the car.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Versatile advice.

If frustrated walk away and then return when composed.

This is the only technique that works with Veronica as well.

Chip

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I used Chip's two favorite tools - Rich & Denis :thumbsup

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Not to bring this back from the dead, but can this be done without a lift?

I assume the front splitter and front belly pan need to come off first?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Not to bring this back from the dead, but can this be done without a lift?

I assume the front splitter and front belly pan need to come off first?

Yes. You don't need to take of the front splitter, or any belly pans. Need to loosen the side skirts under the rocker panel and drop the front edge, take of the wheel, remove all of the plastic retainers, tape up the fender edges, punch/push the liner up and in to get it out of the fender lip, then bend and coil the liner into a smaller diameter while rotating it out towards the rear and bottom of the car. Might help to get the car further off the ground for clearance. The advantage of the lift is it makes it easier to coil up when it is at a good working height for us weaklings.

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Thank you.

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
It might help to use a heat lamp for awhile to soften them up.

HIRISC

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 14, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
You can swing by and use my lift Jason :)

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Do yourself a favor and when you finally get the liner out, stick it out in the sun and let it bake naturally for an hour or more. It will be a whole lot more pliable when you go to put it back in.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Do yourself a favor and when you finally get the liner out, stick it out in the sun and let it bake naturally for an hour or more. It will be a whole lot more pliable when you go to put it back in.

Not needed it TX and only works in the summers in MN.

Last edited:

Team Jeff

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2007
I use a heat gun, it's quick & localized. I don't like the idea of leaving a heat lamp unattended while I'm inside the house cooling off. :)

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
I used Chip's two favorite tools - Rich & Denis :thumbsup

Ah yes.....with the right tools, any job is easy.

Chip

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Ah yes.....with the right tools, any job is easy.

Chip

Yep and at 12.50 per hour they are a great deal

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I have the 2 piece DA set up by Shadowman. No more problems.

Ed