removing passenger fender

rick430

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
boston
Has anybody removed the passenger side fender. Rather than fight with the dealer I am considering changing the fuel filler pipe myself. If anyone has, are there any tips and do you have to also remove the hood. I have the shop manual but the removal procedure seems vague.

thegtguy

*Supporting Vendor* GT Owner
Apr 20, 2006
MI
Lots of tape to protect everything.

davisp

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 18, 2006
New Jersey
I have personally observed this procedure performed on two cars. That said, I would not trust the manual and I would definately not recommend anyone doing this themselves. On the other hand, I would also not trust the dealer unless the service tech has done this procedure before!! PD

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
two failures in a row

Mine (fuel filler) needs to be replaced again. The dealer would like to take the car to the body shop and let them pull the fender. The first time the dealer pulled the fender, they ended up with small chip in the paint. I am NOT blaming the dealer for this, however they felt that they should pull the fender and properly touchup the chip (it's very small). I would rather have the dealer do the R & R on the fender though. I hate leaving my cars at body shops, since funny things can happen to them when no one's watching. Like, extra miles magically appearing on the odometer... :mad

In an ideal world, I would get the GT Guys to do it, however, it would be impractical.

Jay
GTsaver

Added later...
NOTE: After reading further info on this post, I really do NOT want some body shop in posession with my car. Life is complicated enough, so I think that my Ford dealer is going to have the car at their shop and the fender will be delivered to the body shop for the paint chip touchup. The fuel filler pipe has problems again. It may have a design problem, since I have had two failures in a row.

Jay

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I hate leaving my cars at body shops, since funny things can happen to them when no one's watching. Like, extra miles magically appearing on the odometer... :mad

'Zactly. 'Friend caught body shop employees taking his 502 powered '78 Malibu street machine out for what could only be described as a "road test" of the body work they'd done.:mad Their excuse was the 502 was "loading up" moving it from shop "A" to shop "B", so they took it out to "blow the carbon out".:thumbsdow

That shop has lost MUCHO business since because of that lil' stunt. Trust me.

Pete S.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
MA
The GTGUY's

If you haven't already, find out from Rich and Denis if they will be anywhere closer to you in the future. I am certain they could perform any service flawlessly with no worry about chipped paint, etc. I see and agree that it may be impractical, but as it looks like you are in the Northeast, (Lynn Lynn city of Sin by birth here), so your miles are about to become restricted by snow anyway, I'd definitely think about that option. For what it's worth.

Pete S.

isaakgt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Wilder, Idaho
What is the deal with the fuel filler pipe? I have quite a few miles on my car and numerous fuel refills and have not had a problem yet. Is it the seal on the sliding fuel door that is causing some problems? Is there anything that we should do differently when refueling? Thanks

rick430

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
boston
The way I"m looking at it is that I would be a lot more careful. I"ve got a buddy who works at Ferrari of New England who has helped in the past on both Ferrari and the GT. He"s very good and really cautious. If he thinks we can handle it I think I"ll do it. The other reason is I think this problem will happen again after so many miles, I feel the issue is due to the seal at the fuel filler failing over time. I think is"s a poor design.

Pete S.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
MA
?

. . . .I think this problem will happen again after so many miles, I feel the issue is due to the seal at the fuel filler failing over time. I think is"s a poor design.

Okay, I am wondering how many miles you've logged as that may give some indication as to how often you've added fuel. And why are you changing the filler pipe? I'm all for it of course, the more one does, the more one learns.

Thanks,
Pete S.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Rick, there are old posts on this. If you look at the old posts, there is alot involved. The dealer MUST RUN A TEST CYCLE AND A POSSIBLE SMOKE TEST. There is alot involved. From present memory,
1. lift car
2. take off wheel.
3.take out inner fender with the push in clips!:eek
4. dont destroy delicate fender lip paint when removing the huge inner fender.:eek
5. Get this now , horns,vapor canisters, head lite assembly complete:eek all must come out ,DONT MESS WITH THE ADJUSTMENT SCREWS!!!!!!!!
6.HAVING FUN YET?
7.NOW the bottom spliter must be removed
8.lower valance screws all taken out
9.all the fender screws taken off, then fender removed!
10. dont forget the fender , hood and front facia must all be taped before removal.
11. oh , before that ,the fuel filler flap CABLE MUST BE UN CLIPPED AND REMOVED BEFORE THE PIPE COMES OUT, A REAL PAIN CAUSE IT WRAPS AROUND THE PIPE.
12. Yes it can be done with the hood not being removed.
13.DO YOU HAVE THE GTGUYS NUMBER YET:biggrin:thumbsup
14. NOW remove the screws holding the pipe and the lines, remember theres a gasket and 3 screws under the fender that hold the cap!!! YOU CANNOT PUT ALL 3 BACK WITH THE FENDER BACk IN PLACE THE BACK ONE IS BEHIND THE FRAME SUPPORT:thumbsdow
15. THE GT GUYS NUMBER IS 1 734 658 9498 THATS RICH'S CELL:thumbsup
16. INCASE YOU DONT TAKE # 15 ADVISE, WHEN THE PIPE IS REMOVED BLOW IN THE BOTTOM END,There is a series of 3 flaps ,if its defective air will pass through from the bottom up.
17. remember ,you have an excellent shot of scratching , the fender, front glass, area around the head lite,front facia to chin spoiler, fender to center body panel.
18 . Good luck , my advise take option #15. been there done that it is a tremendous amount of work.
19. Ive seen them do it in less than 2 hours!!!:eek it will take you 2 full days and a lot of hail marys.
20. Its a huge safety issue besides, believe me. Leave it to the pro's.:thumbsup
ope this helps gtjoey 1314 annnd loving it1

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Move in with DBK hee's only an hour from the GT guys:biggrin

M

Mark O

I can tell you first hand that his front fender was sitting on his living room floor as the Patriots clobbered the Cowboys. :cheers

glord

GT Owner
Mar 25, 2006
Los Gatos California
Fender does not have to be removed

I've mentioned this in previous posts but Frontier Ford in San Jose California was able to fix the filler pipe problem without removing the fender. If you want to PM me I can put you in touch with my service advisor at Frontier. I'm sure his is open to sharing with you or your dealer how this was done.

Regards, Gary

MWG

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Northern California
I've mentioned this in previous posts but Frontier Ford in San Jose California was able to fix the filler pipe problem without removing the fender. If you want to PM me I can put you in touch with my service advisor at Frontier. I'm sure his is open to sharing with you or your dealer how this was done.

Regards, Gary

Gary,

Thanks for the post. Nice to know there's another local dealer with experience working on these cars.

--Mike

rick430

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
boston
I called Frontier Ford and talked with them about the fuel filler issue. They said that the fender did have to be removed. If you look at the way the filler neck is attached it is impossible to unfasten it without first removing the fender.The difficult part is getting the inner fender panel out.Removing the other components including the fender is relatively easy and strait forward. The only problem I had is the new part was delayed until Monday so as a result I had to have the car stay apart over the weekend.

glord

GT Owner
Mar 25, 2006
Los Gatos California
Interesting

I called Frontier Ford and talked with them about the fuel filler issue. They said that the fender did have to be removed. If you look at the way the filler neck is attached it is impossible to unfasten it without first removing the fender.The difficult part is getting the inner fender panel out.Removing the other components including the fender is relatively easy and strait forward. The only problem I had is the new part was delayed until Monday so as a result I had to have the car stay apart over the weekend.

(nt)