Removing Black Rear Window Side Vents

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
I'm in the process of replacing both side vents next to the clamshell window.
Each one is held in place with 5 sheet metal type screws that screw into the vent from underneath. The first four are easy access, but the last one on each side (at the rear of clamshell) is behind those black curved vent covers placed on each side of the clamshell.
I proceeded to use a T-20 bit to take the four or five bolts out to remove the vent cover and found each one was REALLY locked in tight.
Not wanting to bust anything, is there something I need to do other than be careful and slowly try to back them out? I assumed they were just threaded into the clamshell.
Much appreciated!

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
There is nothing special with the torx screws. Nothing will drop as they come out. Just be REAL careful taking the last louver screw. It's very short, and has a washer. If you drop it, it could end up inside the lift gate. (not fun getting it out).

:thumbsup:thumbsup

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
If you drop it, it could end up inside the lift gate. (not fun getting it out).

Do you get the feeling he has been there and done that. :biggrin

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
Fubar,

If you've got a minute, let me tell you a little insiders tale. Keep this between us. :wink:wink

We had an issue at the shop one time. When Saleen sent the cars to us, they would come with strips of masking tape around the back lite. They used it to help hold the glass in place till the butyl set up. We would pull it off at Wixom. For whatever reason, We had a run of cars that, when the tape was pulled off, the paint on the louver came with it. That led to changing a more than a few louvers. Need I say more? :wink:wink

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Thanks much TFG.:thumbsup
Fubar...what made you think that???:lol

LarryS

GT Owner
Aug 6, 2008
Fremont, CA
I'm also replacing my side window vents.
I'm attempting to remove the metal plates for access to the hidden screw.
Do I have to remove the 2 screws that don't appear to be holding the plate?
I have the other screws removed, but the metal plate does not want to
come off.
thanks.....Larry

Attachments

• metal plate.jpg
    metal plate.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 226

RV King

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2007
Laguna Beach, CA
I'm also replacing my side window vents.
I'm attempting to remove the metal plates for access to the hidden screw.
Do I have to remove the 2 screws that don't appear to be holding the plate?
I have the other screws removed, but the metal plate does not want to
come off.
thanks.....Larry

I had to replace mine as well. I had quite a few discussions with nota4re (a great help) on this. You just gently have to work it out. You are going to love how Ford has put these together once you get them out. (fit & finish at it best) You will have to grind off the melted plastic that hold the metal vents in place and then you will have to melt the new plastic piece on to metal to get it back together. I took the pieces to my Ford dealer and had them melt the two pieces back together for me. They were happy to do it. I was under warranty though.
Good Luck!

H

HHGT

I had to replace mine as well. I had quite a few discussions with nota4re (a great help) on this. You just gently have to work it out. You are going to love how Ford has put these together once you get them out. (fit & finish at it best) You will have to grind off the melted plastic that hold the metal vents in place and then you will have to melt the new plastic piece on to metal to get it back together. I took the pieces to my Ford dealer and had them melt the two pieces back together for me. They were happy to do it. I was under warranty though.
Good Luck!

And like there is no plastic in BMWs. Paaalllleeese....:bored

LarryS

GT Owner
Aug 6, 2008
Fremont, CA
You just gently have to work it out.

After removing the other 2 screws, they are loose,
but just don't seem to want to come out
(and I don't want to break or bend anything).
Seems they are attached to some screening inside?
Do I pull harder?

ps....service manual sure is useless

RV King

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2007
Laguna Beach, CA
Larry here is a shot of what you will have to deal with...

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 218

RV King

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2007
Laguna Beach, CA
Do I pull harder?

Yes you need to pull a little harder. There is a plastic rectangular tray in there with foam strip attached to the tray. They get hung up in there. Just be gentle!!!

LarryS

GT Owner
Aug 6, 2008
Fremont, CA
Larry here is a shot of what you will have to deal with...

I understand that (I have the new parts)
I am trying to remove the metal plates.
thanks....Larry

RV King

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2007
Laguna Beach, CA
And like there is no plastic in BMWs. Paaalllleeese....:bored

Hey....Mr, Fit & Finish...I am referring to the method of assembly used by your Union Brothers, not the material.

:slap

H

HHGT

Hey....Mr, Fit & Finish...I am referring to the method of assembly used by your Union Brothers, not the material.

:slap

:tongue

Aug 25, 2006
Do I pull harder?

Larry

There is an air duct attached to the screens and yes they will slide out

As for the installation of the new pieces; as shared you will need to swap the screens from one to the other; NBD simply removed the old screens and if you have a soldering iron with a pad tip attachment you can melt the studs once the new screen is in position. You could also do it with a traditional soldering iron tip however it will not be as nice looking. Now when reinstalling the vents do "NOT" over tighten the small screws or you will see evidence of them in the form of little dipples in the top surface. I found this out the hard way long ago as such I remove the tip of the screws on the belt sander before installing them thus insuring that this does not happen.

Takes care

Shadowman

Last edited:

LarryS

GT Owner
Aug 6, 2008
Fremont, CA
Thanks Shadowman
I did notice that my screws had double washers,
I will take off the tips anyway.
Larry

Larry

There is an air duct attached to the screens and yes they will slide out

As for the installation of the new pieces; as shared you will need to swap the screens from one to the other; NBD simply removed the old screens and if you have a soldering iron with a pad tip attachment you can melt the studs once the new screen is in position. You could also do it with a traditional soldering iron tip however it will not be as nice looking. Now when reinstalling the vents do "NOT" over tighten the small screws or you will see evidence of them in the form of little dipples in the top surface. I found this out the hard way long ago as such I remove the tip of the screws on the belt sander before installing them thus insuring that this does not happen.

Takes care

Shadowman