registration in california/where is EPA Sticker?

best2xford

GT Owner
Sep 27, 2006
San Diego
I was told today (since I got my car in texas, originally sold in flordia) that in order to register it in California, that they'd need to see the sticker in hood that shows that it's all 50 state legal and california? Anyway, I can't seem to locate it, can anyone tell me if they know anything about this topic and if yes, where can I find the sticker?

Thanks!

(So wierd--I flew to Texas to buy the car from a dealer in Houston, who bought it from a Dealer in California (10 miles from my house), who took it on a trade from a lady in Flordia.) I was at that dealer a month after they sold it and missed seeing it in San Diego!)

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
From what I understand, you need to get it smogged. I smogged mine after reading everyone else having to smog theirs. It states that it is 50 state legal on the Certificate of Origin. Also, I could not register it at AAA, I had to go to the DMV and have a vehicle inspection. Make sure you bring all your paperwork with you.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
ROCMAN said:
From what I understand, you need to get it smogged. I smogged mine after reading everyone else having to smog theirs. It states that it is 50 state legal on the Certificate of Origin. Also, I could not register it at AAA, I had to go to the DMV and have a vehicle inspection. Make sure you bring all your paperwork with you.

On the MSO it states the car is 50 States Legal. Find an in floor dyno smog station so they don't damage the defuser. First step is go to DMV and they will give you the form for smog and vin verification. Good luck.

Also, be sure to register with Awsum for the California GT Club.

Welcome :biggrin

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
The sticker is in the engine compartment on the drivers side. It is in the area behind your neck when you are sitting down. It is a silver sticker so it blends into the silver color engine compartment.

BlackICE

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
bony said:
On the MSO it states the car is 50 States Legal. Find an in floor dyno smog station so they don't damage the defuser. First step is go to DMV and they will give you the form for smog and vin verification. Good luck.

Also, be sure to register with Awsum for the California GT Club.

Welcome :biggrin

Yikes!!!

I didn't know any of this. I saw the CA sticker in the photo, and I thought that was enough. So, everyone in CA has to bring their GT to the DMV and also have the smog done before that? I'm expecting delivery this weekend, and I scheduled my DMV registration appointment for Tuesday morning. I guess I better smog it Monday then. Can others confirm? I'd hate to bring it to Santa Ana for nothing - that DMV is a mad house. Parking lot with no where to park...

vyprgt2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2005
CA
SYCO GT said:
Yikes!!!

Can others confirm? I'd hate to bring it to Santa Ana for nothing - that DMV is a mad house. Parking lot with no where to park...

Just to be clear...this is ONLY for cars purchased outside of CA and then "imported into" CA:

Yep, it is the sad truth. You will need to have the car smog checked, at the one -in -a -thousand place that has an in-ground dyno (start calling every place in the phone book now!), then take it to the DMV for them to visually verify the CA emissions sticker, write down your VIN, and collect your 18K or so sales tax and registration money. :ack

Worth all the hassles though!!

Hammer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 10, 2006
San Diego, CA
Bony, of course, is right. You have to go to the DMV, with all your paperwork and the Certificate of Origin (which says it's 50 state legal on it), and pay all taxes (which may amount to $12K or so, depending on your purchase price). You do not necessarily need to take the car on that trip. They gave me something like 2 weeks or so to bring the car back to get it inspected (which takes only a few minutes, and you never need to leave it in the parking lot), and they gave me 2 months to get it smogged. You do need to check with the smog place to see if they can deal with exotic cars with low clearance. You then go back to the DMV with the smog certificate, and they give you the plates. You then wonder what to do with the front plate (which I keep in the netting behind the driver's seat, along with the registration - no glove box). Yes, it's all a hassle, but what an incredible car! People at the DMV even love it! :thumbsup

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Thank you Gentlemen, this is helpful and appreciated. Particularly, the specific DMV process.

My car is on its way from Pennsylvania, passing through Iowa yesterday, and should be in California in a couple days.

I think I found an in ground dyno roller in Huntington Beach (HB Smog).

Thanks! I wish I had $12,000 in pennies to give them.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Hammer said:
Bony, of course, is right. You have to go to the DMV, with all your paperwork and the Certificate of Origin (which says it's 50 state legal on it), and pay all taxes (which may amount to $12K or so, depending on your purchase price). You do not necessarily need to take the car on that trip. They gave me something like 2 weeks or so to bring the car back to get it inspected (which takes only a few minutes, and you never need to leave it in the parking lot), and they gave me 2 months to get it smogged. You do need to check with the smog place to see if they can deal with exotic cars with low clearance. You then go back to the DMV with the smog certificate, and they give you the plates. You then wonder what to do with the front plate (which I keep in the netting behind the driver's seat, along with the registration - no glove box). Yes, it's all a hassle, but what an incredible car! People at the DMV even love it! :thumbsup

I had to get a vin verification, went to the CHP ( I'm a 1199 member) and back to DMV only to be told the officer missed a couple of blanks. Went back to the CHP, they corrected the form and back to DMV where I finally got my plates. Yup, no need to bring the GT on your first DMV visit, just your check book....ouch :thumbsdow

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
VIN verification can be done while at the DMV so there's no need to get it done elsewhere. I just went through this with my Heritage which I got from Vegas. The actual process is actually pretty painless, except towards the end when I had to pay the sales tax and registration. :ack

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
HeritageBruce said:
VIN verification can be done while at the DMV so there's no need to get it done elsewhere. I just went through this with my Heritage which I got from Vegas. The actual process is actually pretty painless, except towards the end when I had to pay the sales tax and registration. :ack

your correct the DMV can do it, I just did not want to leave my car for 5 seconds in the DMV parking lot... maybe it is a Fresno thing?

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.
SYCO GT said:
Yikes!!!

I didn't know any of this. I saw the CA sticker in the photo, and I thought that was enough. So, everyone in CA has to bring their GT to the DMV and also have the smog done before that? I'm expecting delivery this weekend, and I scheduled my DMV registration appointment for Tuesday morning. I guess I better smog it Monday then. Can others confirm? I'd hate to bring it to Santa Ana for nothing - that DMV is a mad house. Parking lot with no where to park...
Go to the DMV in El toro by Leisure world it is usually fast.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
My local DMV as a large parking lot, so I parked far away without another car within 150 feet. I made two trips. The first to try to register without a smog test. No go! I had to go back after the complete smog test. Interesting note that the lady asked me if I had made a mistake on the price, believing it was to high. My response is unfortunately the price was correct. She didn't look at the price on the bill of sale I supplied.

BlackICE

isaakgt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Wilder, Idaho
My car does have the Cal/EPA emmissions sticker in the engine compartment. My car was originally shipped from the factory directly to Manteca, Cal. I have not had an issue with the DMV regarding registration.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
isaakgt said:
My car does have the Cal/EPA emmissions sticker in the engine compartment. My car was originally shipped from the factory directly to Manteca, Cal. I have not had an issue with the DMV regarding registration.

If your car is bought from a California dealer you don't have to deal with the smog check or vin verification. :thumbsup

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Gotta love Santa Ana DMV.

Claudia, at the DMV counter drives a 2002 manual Mustang GT with the license plate GIDDY UP. At first, she told me I could only bring the GT to her DMV for inspection. I was like "really?" and she said she was kidding, because she really wanted to see the car.

Then, I get outside to find two guys jumping a battery right behind the Commander (pictured in the foreground).

Then, the white Minivan backs right into the car being jumped.

Uh, I won't be bringing the GT back there for verification...The parking lot looks like a used car lot, it's so packed.

Wrote the big check, and now just have a Smog check and a verification, which she said I can do at any DMV, AAA, or law enforcement office, and I will have plates. She gave me a temporary red sticker, so I can drive it around. My Pennsylvania transport expires tomorrow.

Going to the ///M Performance School tomorrow at California Speedway to drive the M3, and new M5, and M6. My last car was a 2001 M5, with 395.5 rwhp, so I'm interested in trying out the new M's, but would likely never buy one.

Photo_10.jpg

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
shades of Fresno's two DMV's...
That is why I went to the CHP to get my vin verification done, just make sure they fill in every possible blank.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
bony said:
shades of Fresno's two DMV's...
That is why I went to the CHP to get my vin verification done, just make sure they fill in every possible blank.

Yes, after this morning's experience, I am going to go get smogged, and then to the AAA to get VIN verified and finish the registration.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
SYCO GT said:
Yes, after this morning's experience, I am going to go get smogged, and then to the AAA to get VIN verified and finish the registration.

can AAA do a vin verification?

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
bony said:
can AAA do a vin verification?

I never found that out. I got the smog check, and then went over to AAA, the lady looked at the paperwork and asked, "Did you buy this from a dealer?," and I answered in the affirmative. Then she told me that AAA is not equipped to handle dealer transactions, and that I would have to go to a DMV.

So, I went to the Costa Mesa DMV, got a Vehicle Inspection by a nice gentleman that asked me if I got soaked on the taxes, at which point I showed him my receipt from this morning's registration and tax, and then he immediately asked if I would adopt him.

Then inside, I was asked if I purchased out of state, and a yes, allowed me to write another check for $16.00 this time, much less painful then this morning. And I received my new sequential license plates.

The GT was admired by many in the parking lot of the DMV as well as at the Smog Test Center. Comments such as "that car does 65 mph in 1st gear," "I hear those go for $500,000," and my favorite "I saw a Viper go up against a GT on TV and the Viper was demolished."