Recommended Motor Oil

hemidoc

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2006
Ottawa, Canada
Visited my SVT dealer to get oil today and was told Ford has changed its recommended FGT oil to regular Mobile 1 5-50. They could not show me a TSB or other documentation. Has anyone else heard this? Thanks, Allan

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Visited my SVT dealer to get oil today and was told Ford has changed its recommended FGT oil to regular Mobile 1 5-50. They could not show me a TSB or other documentation. Has anyone else heard this? Thanks, Allan

I don't think Mobile is available in the US. I would bet the dealer had Mobile in stock, but not the Ford oil, or higher margins on the Mobile stuff.

hemidoc

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2006
Ottawa, Canada
Sorry. Mobil 1. Typo.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
I just use the dollar store cheapie oil.

;)

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I just use the dollar store cheapie oil.

:rofl:rofl:rofl :thumbsup:thumbsup

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Castrol Syntech 5w50 meets all Ford specs. That's what I use in nearly all my exotics, with a few exceptions where I stick to Mobil1.

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Mobil 1 is not the oil is used to be............

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Boy, In the big horse Marine Engine world, The major players are moving to Amsoil or Joe Gibbs proprietary Racing Synthetic oil.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
After all the previous discussions and posts, I really don't want to put anything but Ford Motorcraft XO-5W50-QGT in my car. Have a Service Directives come from Ford to the dealers, and if they have, wouldn't they show them to their customers. As long as XO-5W50-QGT is available, that's what I plan to use.

Aug 25, 2006
"only" OEM oil

I follow the OEM program based on the marquee

Takes care

Shadowman

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Order your oil from Torrie. The dealer is feeding you BS. Do a search. There are long, involved threads here about oil.

hemidoc

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2006
Ottawa, Canada
Thank you for the help. I will continue to use the OEM. Allan

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Order your oil from Torrie. The dealer is feeding you BS. Do a search. There are long, involved threads here about oil.

Hey thanks again Frank, Yeah I stock it !

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
Dodge recently changed the Viper from Mobil 1 to Pennzoil. I don't know if that means anything but maybe worth mentioning.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
FWIW, I am not convinced auto manufactures always specify the absolute best available lubricants for their vehicles, even their halo cars. I believe they have a requirement for the minimum specifications needed to keep the motors alive and well under expected use conditions. Then they shop this requirement to different suppliers for the best deal.

Doesn't Conoco make this oil? How many race car motor builders are using Conoco? Who actually finds the upper limits of a engines capabilities as well as the lubricants? I would venture to say Race engine builders. Does Accufab use the factory spec'd Motorcraft oil in Peak's engines? If so, I would sure put a lot more faith in it.

All IMHO. No offense or aggravation intended. :thumbsup

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
IMO oils are chosen by race teams not on technical merit alone, but sponsorship $$$ have play a large factor in the decision as well.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
IMO oils are chosen by race teams not on technical merit alone, but sponsorship $$$ have play a large factor in the decision as well.

Agreed.

But there is sure a lot of good buzz about Joe Gibbs oil and it was his secret proprietary oil for some time before he decided to cash in on the successful formula.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Agreed.

But there is sure a lot of good buzz about Joe Gibbs oil and it was his secret proprietary oil for some time before he decided to cash in on the successful formula.

I would guess that Joe Gibbs didn't manufacture a single CC of oil, but had a major oil company to produce a line of oil for him!

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I would guess that Joe Gibbs didn't manufacture a single CC of oil, but had a major oil company to produce a line of oil for him!

Actually I am told it is made by the biggest manufacturer of the critical additives put into most HI-PO synthetics like Amsoil and Mobil 1. I believe from the Cleveland area. I forget the name at the moment.

I wasn't under the impression he was making in his back 40, just to his specs. :biggrin

I will try to find the manufacturer again.

andymlow

GT Owner
May 17, 2007
Sarasota, FL
Keep in mind what a race team uses has no bearing on what your everyday driver should use. They change to oil after each event and they have very consistent parameters that the engine operates under. I would submit that oil requirements for your street car are much harder to meet.