Recommended Launch Technique

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I am moderately familar with motorcycle clutches and performance riding, but consider myself somewhat new to performance driving.

Sure, I have driven for a couple decades, done club track days, performance driving school, with cars, but still I consider myself a novice to exotic car ownership, and definitely new to the Ford GT.

So, I would like some input on recommended launch technique from those that have had the GT for a while. I'm not looking to quarter mile the car, but just some advice on ideal RPM's / Throttle Input and clutch release technique specific to the GT for (1) rapid launches, as well as for (2) general spirited driving, also I want to preserve the clutch reasonably and do not want to abuse the car (on a regular basis).

Any thoughts on the GT's clutch design and robustness would be appreciated also. I've never had wear problems on any of my manual clutches in my prior sportscars, but I do want to use every bit of the car as it's builders intended, just don't want to improperly abuse it.

Thanks!

Last edited:

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
Randy,
Try 2000 RPM and use your nose. And don't it in front of cops or when not in a straight line right next to a bunch of parked cars and people (i.e. Car and Coffee exit)

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
It is all a mater of personal preference. I use to like 4000 rpm and a hard drop (of course I need new rear tires). I recently changed the pulley on my GT and would probably change that to 3000 rpm but I haven't gone out "testing" sense the new pulley. I'm sure you know, but the big thing is never ride the clutch. Just get in gear and let the motor do its thing. I think you would call that a "rapid launch."

The GT has such a long 1st gear that I try not to get into launch situations. The hardest thing for me to do was learn to shift into 2nd gear at 80mph. It just goes against everything I know. Second gear is the right race gear for 80mph though. Try that one day. With my new pulley in place the GT will go sideways at 80mph... that's so awesome.

Last edited:

oskie100

GT Owner
Nov 23, 2005
Simi Valley, California
Launch

I Have Only Made One Timed Pass And Used John From Accufab's Advise On Launch. 2500 - 3000 Rpm And Smooth Release On Clutch Worked Real Well. Ran A 11.4 With Great Traction At Calif. Speedway. I Feel I Could Have Run 11.1 Or 11.2 With More Passes. My Gt Has About 640rwhp With Race Gas.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
2nd Gear

FUBAR _ Agree wholeheartedly. 2nd gear is the fun one.

Great two lane road passing gear -without shifting!

And you have 4 more to go.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
With stock power, from a dead dig you basically keep it at about 4k and dump it. Anything less and you will bog the car out, much more and you'll roast it. It's pretty easy once you've got the hang of it. If you get a moderate spin-stick launch you can run an 11.6x repeatedly.

The clutch on the GT is very resilient, but it's not good for drag racing. If you piss it off, it will be squirrelly until it catches its breath. Street, strip, wherever...don't get yourself in a situation where you are slipping the clutch excessively. You have to let it grip and really use the throttle to do the dirty work as opposed to modulating the clutch to get a smooth/quick take off...

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Hey Guys!

This is all very helpful information, and I appreciate the various perspectives. I will take the time to practice and find the right launch for me and my GT.

Again - thanks for taking the time to help me out.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
So what's the preferred gear for smokey burnouts....first or second?

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Don't forget, Spec makes an upgraded clutch if the existing gets tired.