Recommended Dehumidifier

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
Anyone have recommended dehumidifer they use?

Winter is coming in MI and I need to get my garage dry for the GT.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
A few months ago I got 2 for our garages in Florida off amazon. Whats cool about them is they have pumps built in that pump the water up and out.

Last edited:
Reactions: drilling

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
I recently got 2 for our garages in Florida off amazon. Whats cool about them is they have pumps built in that pump the water up and out. Was around $200 each. I think they were 2000sqft rated.

Which one did you get? What humidity do you keep it at?

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I edited my initial post to include a link. If I recall at around 40-45%

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
I seem to remember ~45% otherwise things can dry out ... to the point of damage.

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
You guys are the best

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
A few months ago I got 2 for our garages in Florida off amazon. Whats cool about them is they have pumps built in that pump the water up and out.

Just bought it!

Reactions: Specracer

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Just make sure you have a drain close by and connect the drain hose to it with a wire tie or something similar. They produce more water than you think. Is the room air from a furnace with a humidifier?

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Not too useful because I can't remember brand, but I had an industrial strength unit that you could hang from rafter, joist. or ceiling. Had a built-in pump, or you could use gravity. Application was crawl space - very humid - of 1500 plus square feet, and easily kept to 45% RH.

I have not had much luck with cabinet units from discount or big box stores. Only last 1 - 2 years. Well worth it to find a commercial grade unit.

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
Do you want to dehumidify the entire garage or just concerned about the car’s interior?

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I dehumidify the entire garage, and even leave car windows a open (at least drivers door). No need for desiccants. Dehumidifier also of course has a fan to help circulate the air.

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
Do you want to dehumidify the entire garage or just concerned about the car’s interior?
Entire garage

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
I have placed dehumidifiers in my garages for years ( live in NE). Run 9 months a year ( dry in my cold climate in winter). Amazing amount of water comes from them. Distilled and use to water the plants) one has drain hose attachment which exits outside), 2 were recalled in because of risk of fire ( made guess where?!).
Not sure hanging it from rafters works as well since humid air tends to sink unless heated. My garages tend to remain cool with dehumidifier unless I leave the doors open.
My 2c and experience

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I installed the Mitsubishi heater, air conditioner and dehumidifier
Works great

Biginch Blake

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 4, 2008
Rockville, Indiana
I did the same as Rocket Man when I built my new garage. Before that I had a “Golden Rod” gun safe dehumidifier rod in each car. Did an excellent job but only did the cab.

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
I edited my initial post to include a link. If I recall at around 40-45%

I just got it but i dont see any water coming out 😭