Rear bearing / hub replacement

SAcobra427

GT Owner
Nov 15, 2010
Pa
I'm replacing my one rear wheel bearing/ hub assy. The manual makes it seem like all i do is remove the brakes & rotor, remove the 4 retaining bolts and then pull it out of the knuckle as it comes off of the splined axle. Am I missing something here ? I cant get a socket on those retaining bolts because they are to close to the outer C/V joint inside the knuckle. Anyone here replaced one of these lately and remember how you got those bolts out ? I'm sure if I removed the entire axle assy. I can get at them but the manual does not seem to say all thet extra work needs to be done.

Thanks for the help, TP

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
Someone has hacked into Kingmans account! Someone with some knowhow:eek

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I believe he is asking about the other side of the half shaft, why the photos of the transaxle side?

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
I believe he is asking about the other side of the half shaft, why the photos of the transaxle side?

Yep...some knucklehead did indeed hack into Kingman's account.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Yep...some knucklehead did indeed hack into Kingman's account.

At least those photos were nice.

SAcobra427

GT Owner
Nov 15, 2010
Pa
Thanks Kingman for the nice pics and details but I am indeed looking to replace my outer wheel mounting flange/ bearing assy., do you happen to have the details on that side too ?

Thanks guys, TP

Aug 25, 2006
It is an easy repair

Let me know if I can assist

Takes care

Shadowman

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
It is an easy repair

Let me know if I can assist

Takes care

Shadowman

Easy for Shadowman to say. Easy to him is usually hard for of the rest us mortals.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Easy for Shadowman to say. Easy to him is usually hard for of the rest us mortals.

That's why he's called the Shadowman.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
IMHO, the community is not served well by answers of "call me" or "it's not hard to do". One, five, ten or twenty months from now someone will search and find this thread... and how are they helped?

Bill Briley

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2005
Valley Forge PA.
IMHO, the community is not served well by answers of "call me" or "it's not hard to do". One, five, ten or twenty months from now someone will search and find this thread... and how are they helped?

yeah,what he said.

GTFUN

GT Owner
Aug 19, 2009
Atlanta,Ga

Yea but how lucky are we to have a guy so willing to help and give his time for free?
Shadowman is one of a kind and we are so blessed to have him here..

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005

Excellent point!

I will wait for you, Shadowman or the GT Guy to post step by step instructions with photos. However in my experience having photos and written instructions only go so far and is not a replacement for having an expert on the phone walking you through the process. Shadowman has done that for me numerous times which was a tremendous help over the years. Can owners call you at your www.cooltechllc.com contact number for help as well? That would be awesome!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Ice - Trust that owners call us ALL of the time. I'm sure it is the same for the GT Guys as well. And of course we call each other. The only difference is that we aren't necessarily so compelled to post everytime such assistance is rendered.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Ice - Trust that owners call us ALL of the time. I'm sure it is the same for the GT Guys as well. And of course we call each other. The only difference is that we aren't necessarily so compelled to post everytime such assistance is rendered.

Ouch!

Ed

H

HHGT

No one calls me... Ever....

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005

Kendall, good to know, I will add your number to my phone. Since Shadowman never answers before 12pm, you will be my go to guy in the mornings. Thanks for your kind offer of assistance.:thumbsup

Last edited:

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
No one calls me... Ever....

That neatly organized call list on my iPhone says otherwise. And Lauren says she thinks about you when she's rippen' around in the 335d... Don't you feel the love???

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
That neatly organized call list on my iPhone says otherwise. And Lauren says she thinks about you when she's rippen' around in the 335d... Don't you feel the love???

I think Sam doesn't answer any calls originating from a iPhone. :lol

Aug 25, 2006
I mean not to leave a question unanswered but rather to make clear that one is not without someone to help.

There are times that I simply do not have the time to stop and draft a blow by blow "how to" however I will always take a call and walk a person through a project. Whenever I see a thread such as this one I respond as quickly as I can because I know that folks are needing some sort of direction if for no other reason so that they can relax a bit.

Furthermore; over the years I have found that often times when discussing a project it can be conveyed in a more relaxing and confidence instilling manner when compared to one reading and looking at pictures. For many the mere idea of massaging their gal creates a level of fear/nervousness so I do my level best to take the “rocket science” out of the processes and present a road map that make them relaxing, enjoyable, and personally satisfying.

Takes care

Shadowman