RE: Clutch Replacement

gitarzan

Jul 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
RE: Clutch Replacement

Hi,
I'm looking fro some recommendations for a clutch replacement on my 06 GT. Stock clutch is worn out. I see options from Stillen (expensive) and SPEC Racing (reasonable). I'm looking at the SPEC SS-trim clutch:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spec-Super-...iter_Display:5.4L&hash=item48409fdea6&vxp=mtr

sold through ULTRAREV on E-bay.

Any opinions would be welcome. We are tuned to a bit higher HP than stock with a 200 HP nitrous shot, too :)

Thanks,
Chris

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
You'll get better informed opinions from some of the vendors here, but the Spec clutches are good in my book. They don't slip much and some people don't like the on/off engagement.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
That is a screaming deal on a Spec SS clutch and flywheel. I just had the GT Guys put one in my car, and I think it is great. I prefer the feel of a clutch with higher clamping power in this sort of car. I don't think that the engagement is TOO abrupt. Not as smooth as stock, yes, but certainly not unreasonable. When I was shopping around, the Stillen and the Spec weren't priced that differently. I guess I should've checked eBay!

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Stillen (AP) clutches are not currently available.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
That clutch on Ebay is for a GT500, not a Ford GT - hence the price.

The Spec Ford GT Part Numbers are referenced here: http://www.specclutch.com/cars/Ford/GT/2006/Super_Twin

Dolph

GT Owner
Dec 25, 2012
Ruston, LA
and some people don't like the on/off engagement.[/QUOTE]

I have the Stillen clutch and love the short engagement, but takes a little getting use to.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Kendall put Spec SS in my car. It's great!!!

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
OEM clutch is smooth as silk

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
I went with a SPEC clutch. Feels just like stock to me. Installed by ADS in Chandler AZ.

gitarzan

Jul 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
Thanks. A deal too good to be true usually is :)

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
So what is the cost to rebuild a spec ss trim? $3k for the initial clutch

dtomaso1

GT Owner
Dec 6, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
While killing some time at Road Atlanta earlier this month, I talked at length with David Norton, the Spec owner, about his various clutch/flywheel options for both the GT and Boss applications. It was a lengthy technical discussion and I came away quite impressed with their hardware offerings and ability to tailor a pressure plate, multi plate disc and flywheel combination to suit nearly any owner's needs. There was a large display of the various options offered by the company.

Dave seemed ready to answer any technical questions and offer assistance to anyone interested in exploring the clutch options available. I would give them a call if interested, 800-828-4379.

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
Just off the phone with spec clutch company. Quoted 1500 for a replacement clutch after the initial spec clutch wears out . They said they need about 2 days lead time to supply a new or rebuilt