rattles/vibration

jrsjc

Mar 21, 2006
newport beach, CA
Have a rattle or vibration sound at 1800 to 2000 rpm in every gear. If I didn't know better it sounds like a bearing noise. Ford dealer says they all have it, which I din't believe for a minute. I had one mechanic that thought ot might be the heat shields rattling against the exhaust manifold. Anyone have a similar experience???

ETW

GT Owner
Jan 16, 2006

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
Its enough to drive you nuts!

PHXGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
Got home from the rally and had to go for a ride. Only one problem.....developed the "rattle snake". I have just spent the last hour searching the site and reading all the posts. Mine seems to be a rattle that occurs only when the A/C is on and at about 1400 RPMs. It sounds like it is coming from low behind, or underneath, the passenger seat.

Tried the tubing fix behind the seat in the engine compartment and the passenger footwell. Not coming from either of those locations.

Any new ideas or successes???

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
I have a 1400 to 1500 rpm noise and then a 2000 to 3000 rpm noise. Completely different noises though.

quick time

GT Owner
Jul 27, 2006
Abolfaz: Are you still keeping your car?

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
quick time said:
Abolfaz: Are you still keeping your car?

Consider since 1/06 I've had my car at the dealer for over 2 months and almost all of the problems (except the axle issue) have not been fixed, in most cases the dealer has done more damage (scratches, parts not going back together the same, interior parts damaged, etc) than what the car had before. As far as the rattle noise issue is concerned, they've replaced the evaporator, boost gauge (the new one is brighter than the rest of the gauges at night) and most recently an a/c flap/door and I still have the same noises as well as some new ones. My doors make so much noise I get a headache driving the car, my dealers fix? A can of silicone spray! To add insult to injury the last time I picked up the car, I got it back with a 2" scratch on the drivers door that the driver did practically in front of me!

Even with all of this, I still think the car is one of the greatest cars on the road, the only reason I haven't gotten rid of the car is because I don't think there is anything else that I could think of to replace it. I must say despite all the problems, my service writer (Brian @ Maroone) at the ford dealer is the BEST! He's gone above and beyond the call of duty every time I've taken my car in, I just don't think the rest of the people at the dealer are equiped to deal with this type of car and its owners.

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
I wonder if the problem of ill equipped and poorly prepared dealers was addressed with Ford management and representatives at the recent rally.

Anyone reading this that was an attendee at the rally, please update us on this issue.

Eric

quick time

GT Owner
Jul 27, 2006
Thanks for the reply. I do not know if I would have the patience to deal with all that you have had to put up with. Most likely I would have made the car go away.
Is it possible that your car was unusual, that is atypical in all the problems you have experianced or is this representitive of the car. Or, is the inability of the dealer to provide the needed technical expertise the "Real" problem as all cars will develop problems along the way.

QUOTE=abolfaz]Consider since 1/06 I've had my car at the dealer for over 2 months and almost all of the problems (except the axle issue) have not been fixed, in most cases the dealer has done more damage (scratches, parts not going back together the same, interior parts damaged, etc) than what the car had before. As far as the rattle noise issue is concerned, they've replaced the evaporator, boost gauge (the new one is brighter than the rest of the gauges at night) and most recently an a/c flap/door and I still have the same noises as well as some new ones. My doors make so much noise I get a headache driving the car, my dealers fix? A can of silicone spray! To add insult to injury the last time I picked up the car, I got it back with a 2" scratch on the drivers door that the driver did practically in front of me!

Even with all of this, I still think the car is one of the greatest cars on the road, the only reason I haven't gotten rid of the car is because I don't think there is anything else that I could think of to replace it. I must say despite all the problems, my service writer (Brian @ Maroone) at the ford dealer is the BEST! He's gone above and beyond the call of duty every time I've taken my car in, I just don't think the rest of the people at the dealer are equiped to deal with this type of car and its owners.[/QUOTE]

lthlvpr

GT Owner
Mar 8, 2006
If I were you I would send my car to Saleen and have them go over everything. Now that they are factory authorized to do repairs, and since they know the car inside and out, that would be my first choice for fixing anything major.

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
At this point, I think Ford/Saleen may well pay for shipping both ways and get that thing all fixed up. Then again, they may not. Saleen did indicate that they are an authorized repair center and can take care of ANY issues.

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Rattle fix

I also had the A/C rattle. The tech at my dealer traced it to an errant fuel line retaining clip on the rear bulkhead. He re-installed the clip and properly fastened the line. The resonant vibration with the A/C went away and had not re-appeared. I have no other rattles, buz, or vibes going on.

Roger Vincent

GT Owner
May 31, 2006
Bowling Green, KY
A picture please?

Tim,

Anyway you can post a picture of the location of that fuel line clip?
Thanks,

Roger
2005, 1490

PHXGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
Yes. a picture would be great. Also, do you have to remove the under trays to get to the clip location?

rsilverman

GT Owner
Mar 25, 2006
new jersey
Hey Tim
Can you describe your rattle? Was it at a certain RPM, was is the deadly "Rattlesnake" sound...
Rob

RickM

GT Owner
Oct 15, 2005
Boise, ID
Something to try:

I had a vibration rattle coming from the dash at rpm's in the 2k range.
First instinct was to apply pressure to the gauges (one by one) to see if the noise stopped...Didn't work.

However, pulling outward on the gauges did the trick.
I was able to pinpoint the noise to the Tachometer.
(When the vibration started, I pulled outward on the Tach, and it silenced the vibration.)
Now I know the source of the noise, so no need to have the dealer attempt to troubleshoot. I have not fixed the problem yet...but got quite a bit of satisfaction at least being able to pinpoint the problem.

Suggest those with vibration/rattles from the dash try pulling outward with slight pressure on each gauge one by one to confirm if your problem is similar.

-Rick M

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Did you do this while you were driving?

Gruntled

GT Owner
Dec 11, 2005
PHXGT said:
Yes. a picture would be great. Also, do you have to remove the under trays to get to the clip location?

You don't have to remove undertrays. The clip is in the engine compartment, right behind the passenger seat.

Earlier thread and picture: (post #8)
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1561

Attachments

• Rattle_Fix_AirCond_Eng_640.jpg
    Rattle_Fix_AirCond_Eng_640.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
Which clip?

quick time

GT Owner
Jul 27, 2006
abolfaz said:
Which clip?

Abolfaz: I would also like to know which clip. Not to hijack this thead but can you tell me if you prefer your GT to your 6.0? I believe you once mentioned that you had one? thanks.