Rattle snake noise at 2000 rpms

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
I think John Mark Karr has something to do with this noise.

Joseph Tomarchio said:
Well guys I've tried just about everything on this forum with regard to my above problem. I have removed the floor panel on the passenger side and insulated the copper tubes and anything else that looked like it could vibrate. I also removed both brush aluminum door trim panels that were lose and reinstalled them with 3M commercial double sided tape. The rattle snake / jingling noise is still there and hard to define exactly where it's coming from. When I push the clutch in the noise goes away but the noise does not appear to be coming from the drive train. My best guess is something / somewhere on the passenger side. Anymore suggestions?

Thanks,

JT

Great News!!! :banana
Well guys I think my dealer has finally found and killed the
dreaded "Rattlesnake noise"! First the Super Charger was replaced but that only eliminated the noise at idle (this took two weeks). After returning to the dealer they used what they called "electronic ears" to find and isolate the noise. Believe it or not the noise was coming from a combination of the Serpentine Belt (4G7Z*8620*BA) and the Tensioner (1L2Z*6B209*AA) which were both replaced (this took 8 days). I found it very hard to believe that these parts/problem could create such an annoying noise in the passenger cabin. The Service Manager explained that the shift linkage cable runs under the Intake Manifold to the transmission which allows this sound to resonate into the passenger cabin. Bottom line is I don't really give a dam what caused or cured this noise as long as its gone and stays gone! My only concern is will it return again? After all the bullcrap that I have been through with my GT (that is now only a year old with 4,600 miles) is it now time to unload it? :confused

JT

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
Joseph Tomarchio said:
After all the bullcrap that I have been through with my GT (that is now only a year old with 4,600 miles) is it now time to unload it? :confused

JT

Don't sell it! Look at it this way: at least you've go a bunch of very expensive, brand new parts. It's like you have a new car! :biggrin

Thanks for the update. I have a strange resonance/noise/vibration at about 3500 rpm when the engine is under load. I'm still trying to isolate it, but it sounds like it may be similar to the vibration that has been described here in great detail. The noise is very repeatable, and seems to get worse after the car is fully warmed up. I've been working on the pipes and lines that run from the engine bay forward, with the theory that it is a "fluid buzz".

Have any others who have complained of the noise solved the problem?

H

HHGT

w. mitty said:
Don't sell it! Look at it this way: at least you've go a bunch of very expensive, brand new parts. It's like you have a new car! :biggrin

Thanks for the update. I have a strange resonance/noise/vibration at about 3500 rpm when the engine is under load. I'm still trying to isolate it, but it sounds like it may be similar to the vibration that has been described here in great detail. The noise is very repeatable, and seems to get worse after the car is fully warmed up. I've been working on the pipes and lines that run from the engine bay forward, with the theory that it is a "fluid buzz".

Have any others who have complained of the noise solved the problem?

I insulated the copper lines at the footwell of the pasenger seat and tried to zip tie anything that could make a noise. Occasionally I still get the noise when the temperature is up, never when cold.

I too have a ticking noise that appears to be coming from the pulley of the SC but that goes away when it warms up and then gets substituted by the other rattle snake noise at 3500 RPM

When the noise gets to be a bit too much, I call the wife while she is watching her recorded shows on TIVO (I keep a copy of the schedule in the car) and ask her why we dont talk anymore etc.. - then she yells at me and I can't hear any more noises.

Life is good!

Sam

"It is said that if you line up all the cars in the world end to end, someone would be stupid enough to try and pass them." :biggrin

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
HHGT said:
When the noise gets to be a bit too much, I call the wife while she is watching her recorded shows on TIVO (I keep a copy of the schedule in the car) and ask her why we dont talk anymore etc.. - then she yells at me and I can't hear any more noises.

:biggrin I just roll down the window and listen to the accufab, although your idea would work just as well. My favorite trigger is this: Wife (suspiciously, on cell phone): "I noticed that the GT was gone. When will you be home" Me (lovingly): "Well love pumpkin, I am on ______ right now (insert name of great driving road), so it might be a little while" Wife (cold, sharp daggers coming through phone): Well that's just FINE. I hope you have a great time ALONE." Me, faintly: "What-honey-I'm losing you there we must have a bad connection ok love you bye." Hit accelerator.

w. mitty said:
:biggrin I just roll down the window and listen to the accufab, although your idea would work just as well. My favorite trigger is this: Wife (suspiciously, on cell phone): "I noticed that the GT was gone. When will you be home" Me (lovingly): "Well love pumpkin, I am on ______ right now (insert name of great driving road), so it might be a little while" Wife (cold, sharp daggers coming through phone): Well that's just FINE. I hope you have a great time ALONE." Me, faintly: "What-honey-I'm losing you there we must have a bad connection ok love you bye." Hit accelerator.

"FINE" is female for "F-U"!

JT

HHGT said:
I insulated the copper lines at the footwell of the pasenger seat and tried to zip tie anything that could make a noise. Occasionally I still get the noise when the temperature is up, never when cold.

I too have a ticking noise that appears to be coming from the pulley of the SC but that goes away when it warms up and then gets substituted by the other rattle snake noise at 3500 RPM

Life is good!

Sam

"It is said that if you line up all the cars in the world end to end, someone would be stupid enough to try and pass them." :biggrin

Sam,
You describe the same problems that I had. :willy There now gone! :banana
JT

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Joseph Tomarchio said:
Sam,
You describe the same problems that I had. :willy There now gone! :banana
JT

Wife included? You can still afford the GT? You must have been super rich! :biggrin

SteveA said:
Wife included? You can still afford the GT? You must have been super rich! :biggrin

My wife can not afford to divorce me because she can't live on half my income.

JT

H

HHGT

Joseph Tomarchio said:
My wife can not afford to divorce me because she can't live on half my income.

JT

Thats CLASSIC!

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
That is a good one...!

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
I'm glad your snakes are gone, but mine have gotten much worse. I also have a noise comming from the front of the car that sounds similar to a mcpherson strut car with a bad upper strut bushing. The dealer has had me on hold for two months waiting for parts...

usmcfred

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 26, 2006
Massachusetts
Snake Noises

I've read all the posts on this problem and its various iterations. I too noticed this "hissing" at lower RPMs while driving the first 600 miles from PA to my home in MA after taking delivery at Apple Ford two months ago. I was convinced it was simply a loose vacuum hose connection on the boost gauge until I learned the gauge has no vac hose ... it's electronic not mechanical. I decided not to take it back to a local Ford dealer as most know far less about these cars than we do. Rather, I've decided to accept the GT for what it is, an EXOTIC low volume fabulous looking and performing vehicle. Yes, it would be nice for $166k if everything worked perfectly and/or if every Ford dealer knew how to fix every problem the first time in one day, but those of us who have owned other exotics know these sometime annoying ideosyncracies are just part of owning these machines. So, unless you think a noise, rattle or vibration is possibly unsafe or is causing costly damage, my advice is to just DRIVE and enjoy your GT, roll down the window and listen to the exhaust note, or do what I used to do in other cars with strange noises ... turn up the volume on the stereo. After all, you paid $4 grand for those MacTunes!

And BTW, if you think the GT is bad, you should have owned a new Pantera in '72 as I did. It took years to solve all the gremlins that car had when delivered ... from extreme overheating to rust as the Italians never painted anything that didn't show back then. Updates and improvements were made by owners over time and eventually most were solved or we learned to live with it. usmcfred [/B]

Last edited:

RSR1975

GT Owner
Sep 11, 2006
Yardley, PA
"Great news" didn't work

Originally Posted by Joseph Tomarchio, Jr.
Great News!!!
dreaded "Rattlesnake noise"! First the Super Charger was replaced but that only eliminated the noise at idle (this took two weeks). After returning to the dealer they used what they called "electronic ears" to find and isolate the noise. Believe it or not the noise was coming from a combination of the Serpentine Belt (4G7Z*8620*BA) and the Tensioner (1L2Z*6B209*AA) which were both replaced (this took 8 days). I found it very hard to believe that these parts/problem could create such an annoying noise in the passenger cabin. The Service Manager explained that the shift linkage cable runs under the Intake Manifold to the transmission which allows this sound to resonate into the passenger cabin. JT

My local service tech, who is excellent and reads this board, was also able to identify the passenger-side serpentine belt tensioner as a source of the "rattlesnake' vibration resonating into the cockpit. We replaced the tensioner, but unfortunately the pronounced rattle that occurs from 2100 to 2400 RPMs remains.

Has anyone else had any success at eliminating this???

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Yes, I never drive between 2100 and 2400 rpm. 1900 puts me at 85 mph, faster means I should go live in Texas.

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Originally Posted by Joseph Tomarchio, Jr.
Great News!!!
dreaded "Rattlesnake noise"! First the Super Charger was replaced but that only eliminated the noise at idle (this took two weeks). After returning to the dealer they used what they called "electronic ears" to find and isolate the noise. Believe it or not the noise was coming from a combination of the Serpentine Belt (4G7Z*8620*BA) and the Tensioner (1L2Z*6B209*AA) which were both replaced (this took 8 days). I found it very hard to believe that these parts/problem could create such an annoying noise in the passenger cabin. The Service Manager explained that the shift linkage cable runs under the Intake Manifold to the transmission which allows this sound to resonate into the passenger cabin. JT

My local service tech, who is excellent and reads this board, was also able to identify the passenger-side serpentine belt tensioner as a source of the "rattlesnake' vibration resonating into the cockpit. We replaced the tensioner, but unfortunately the pronounced rattle that occurs from 2100 to 2400 RPMs remains.

Has anyone else had any success at eliminating this???

If I remember correctly, one of the Forum Members had this "Rattle Snake" noise you are referring to, and it was solved by replacing the oil pump and it's drive belt.

You might want to investigate this.

Yes, I never drive between 2100 and 2400 rpm. 1900 puts me at 85 mph, faster means I should go live in Texas.

Come on Down !! :cheers :biggrin :cheers

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
My rattlesnake noise is gone, it was a bad oil pump. I have other noises, but at least this one is gone (one of the worst ones was the defective shock).

Does anybody know what was wrong with the oil pump?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
My rattlesnake noise is gone, it was a bad oil pump. I have other noises, but at least this one is gone (one of the worst ones was the defective shock).

Early on there seemed to be a few failures, glad they resolved that issue for you.

matthew shaw

GT Owner
Mar 23, 2007
I cured a similar noise which was the oil dip stick rattling in the oil resevoir. Try shaking the top of the oil dip stick whilst it is in situ and see if it rattles against side of black resevior.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina

Mike, I had the same problem. Took my service guy about a day to find it. Fixed occured last fall. Frist they tried to put a "damper" on the oil return line but that did not solve the problem which is that ~2k rpm the oil pump has a valve that allows higher velocity volume to flow at greater than 2K.

Anything less - low pressure. You can see this when the car is idling and the oil pressure typically drops below 40 lbs. The noise is caused by this valve fluttering between high/ low positions.