Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Well said.

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
I'm with you joe. My dealer has replaced gauges, evaporators, expansion valves and all kinds of other things that I can't remember and still the noise is there. My car has been down a total of almost two months since I purchased the car last January.

I love the car, but I'm running out of patience.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
albo - I'll talk to you in detroit... have a thought

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
MAD IN NC said:
albo - I'll talk to you in detroit... have a thought

Sorry, I'm not going, unless a last minute spot opens up...

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
Abolfaz

Given the patience and perseverance you've demonstrated, and the contributions you've made to the forum through your ordeal, they should CREATE a spot for you.

Eric

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
EasyEric said:
Abolfaz

Given the patience and perseverance you've demonstrated, and the contributions you've made to the forum through your ordeal, they should CREATE a spot for you.

Eric

Thanks.

Roger Vincent

GT Owner
May 31, 2006
Bowling Green, KY
Rattle while in neutral

My GT has a rattle when in neutral, but I can't hear it when I am sitting inside the car. On the outside, it is easy to hear. When the clutch is depressed it goes away. In my C4 Corvette days, last year, something similar happened. When we modifed the engine, often we would add an aluminum flywheel. This is turn created a bit of a rattle in the transmission, and it didn't hurt a thing, just a bit intrusive at first. However, for those of us "in the know," it was a signal that the car had been modified and was somewhat admired, again by the "in crowd group." Anyway, back to the point, this sound that I hear from my GT is identical to what we heard with the aluminum flywheels on the ZF transmissions of the C4 Corvettes. The GT is new, and has had this sound from day one, and today is day nine. I will mention it to the dealer, but at this point, I am not worried....well maybe a little. Could this be the source of the mysterious rattle, i.e., an aluminum flywheel. Any technical types that can offer more on this?

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Roger Vincent said:
My GT has a rattle when in neutral, but I can't hear it when I am sitting inside the car. On the outside, it is easy to hear. When the clutch is depressed it goes away. In my C4 Corvette days, last year, something similar happened. When we modifed the engine, often we would add an aluminum flywheel. This is turn created a bit of a rattle in the transmission, and it didn't hurt a thing, just a bit intrusive at first. However, for those of us "in the know," it was a signal that the car had been modified and was somewhat admired, again by the "in crowd group." Anyway, back to the point, this sound that I hear from my GT is identical to what we heard with the aluminum flywheels on the ZF transmissions of the C4 Corvettes. The GT is new, and has had this sound from day one, and today is day nine. I will mention it to the dealer, but at this point, I am not worried....well maybe a little. Could this be the source of the mysterious rattle, i.e., an aluminum flywheel. Any technical types that can offer more on this?
Roger,

Sounds like you are experiencing the infamous “neutral gear rollover noise”.

I have had the same on my car since day one. Mine is really quite loud. No apparent damage to date at 5,000 + miles. However it is annoying, and does give concern as to consequences over the long haul.

I had a long conversation with GT TECH while at Wixom in regards to this and he gave me some tips on what possibly may be done to improve or reduce this phenomenon. I have not had time as of yet to try out his suggestions.

Seems like a lot of our cars have this quirk.

Maybe GT TECH could post a detailed description of the procedure that could be of help to those with this concern. Rich, I know all would be very appreciative of your expert knowledge and assistance on this topic.

Roger Vincent

GT Owner
May 31, 2006
Bowling Green, KY
The nature of the beast or build variation?

Spirit:
If some do and some don't, then there must be build variation which is not cool. If all of the GT's do this, then OK, just the nature of the beast. But apparently that is not the case. Did he say there was a simple procedure or was it more involved with internal adjustments, etc? Have you spoken to your dealership (or do you trust them?)? Thanks for your input. I look forward to Rich's input / solution.

rsilverman

GT Owner
Mar 25, 2006
new jersey
Roger
I'm with you. It's not in all the cars, and to make matters more complicated, there are many different "rattles", all hard to diagnose and seemingly impossible to treat. Some are at idle, some at certain RPM's, different qualities...
The only thing they have in common is that they're all IRRITATING to no end.
Rob

Last edited:

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Roger Vincent said:
Spirit:
If some do and some don't, then there must be build variation which is not cool. If all of the GT's do this, then OK, just the nature of the beast. But apparently that is not the case. Did he say there was a simple procedure or was it more involved with internal adjustments, etc? Have you spoken to your dealership (or do you trust them?)? Thanks for your input. I look forward to Rich's input / solution.
Roger,
You used my exact words, “there must be a build variance”.
Yes, I did mention it to my dealer, and they too said “it is just the nature of the beast”.
This seems to be the standard line. But, I do now have it on record with Ford.
According to Rich, adjustment in the cable where it is attaching to the release arm that goes into the trans-axel “could be the culprit”. If there is tension on this cable when the shift lever is in the neutral position, it could be allowing the tolerances between the gears to be a little too tight.
This makes sense to me, thus explaining why there is such a difference in the amount of noise coming from different machines.
As I mentioned, I am going to try to adjust mine myself being so far my dealer has been pretty good, I am not really impressed by their technical expertise when it comes to the GT and it’s idiosyncrasies.

Rattlesnake noise; the continuing saga.

Well guys, after five more long days with my GT back at the dealer they have informed me that they believe the Rattlesnake noise is coming from a bearing in the SUPERCHARGER pully and some type of damage to a Key-Way? They are now going to replace the Supercharger. My son (who owns a 2003 Cobra Mustang which is also Supercharged) and I thought that the noise might be coming from the Belt Tensioner. All of this (read my other remarks on this thread) from a car that I have never raced, abused or even driven in the rain. I am frustrated :willy beyond my patience and I am starting to believe that "FORD" is not a name or a brand; it's an acronym. :ack Need I go there?

JT

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
I feel your pain Joe.

rsilverman

GT Owner
Mar 25, 2006
new jersey
Joe (JT)
From what I read with your original thread, your "rattlesnake" sound is not reproducible with the car in neutral? Mine, I can mimic whether I'm in gear or neutral.
Thanks
Rob

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
I can do mine in gear or not.

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
I've got the snake as well with AC on or off.

rsilverman

GT Owner
Mar 25, 2006
new jersey
Did you guys see the thread rattles/vibration from today? The last post talks about pulling on the guages one at a time. He isolated the tachymeter as the source.
I'm going to try it later and let you all know.

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
Good luck!

rsilverman

GT Owner
Mar 25, 2006
new jersey
Do I detect a bit of sarcasm /skepticism that "good luck"?

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
That elusive rattle snake seems to have bitten me and left some of its venom.