Rally 8 SoCal to NorCal "Trip of a Life" - Planning Thread

on d bit

Jul 20, 2008
maricopa az
If you need any help with hotels let me know. The Flamingo in SR is a good hotel and was a favorite of Jayne Mansfield back in the day. Pierre its owner is a car guy driving for a Ferrari Le Mans team and more recently Team Audi R8 LMS ultra #14 at Nurburging.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Haha! Great pictures Ralphie!

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Randy - that's luxurious, compared to the WWII fleet submarines!

:wink Ohh, please also show us some of your pictures from when you participated in the first big war :wink

:biggrin:rofl:facepalm:

:cheers
Anders

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
:wink Ohh, please also show us some of your pictures from when you participated in the first big war :wink

:biggrin:rofl:facepalm:

:cheers
Anders

:frown :frown :thumbsdow :frown :frown

:facepalm:

:lol

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
Noise. That's all I'm saying. Noise.

You'll understand later.

on d bit

Jul 20, 2008
maricopa az
Car Wash in Sonoma was brought up in another thread, I just wanted to update whoever is interested?

While on the topic of transport/ancillary services, does anyone know of a good handwash place in the area? Some of us will be driving 3-500 miles and more just to get to the Rally. Cars will be looking a bit worse for wear at that point. Call my crazy, but I'm not taking the car through the Chevron drive thru car wash.

There are some full service car washes, however I do not know of one that is completely hand wash. I will do a little research and let everyone know what I find.

There is a local mobile auto detailer who is available for those interested. Complete hand wash at the Fairmont or somewhere else. The detailer is Andrew Luzaich and his contact info is quickcarwash@gmail.com, 707.836.3040
His website is finaltouchautomotivedetailing.com

I spoke with him tonight and did mention a rebate from his normal prices if he knows exact number of cars to be washed.

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
I now have my plan together and no Socal to Sonoma cruise for me this time. I´ll pick up car in AZ and go via Las Vegas.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Just found out my brother is getting married and I'll be honored to be his best man. So I'll already be in Northern Cal, and won't be joining the group in the road trip from So Cal.

Have a great drive and I will see you at Rally VIII

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
All- I just updated Post 1 in this thread. Departure will be TUESDAY, September 3. Note that Monday marks the end of the Labor Day holiday weekend and there will be a lot of traffic.

We need to get an early start on Tuesday. Lunch stop will be in Cambria, CA and there will be one planned bio-break on the way. After lunch we will continue up the scenic Highway 1 up through the San Francisco area and then to the hotel in Sonoma, CA. The after lunch drive will bit a bit longer than the morning drive and we may plan 2 bio stops.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
All- I just updated Post 1 in this thread. Departure will be TUESDAY, September 3. Note that Monday marks the end of the Labor Day holiday weekend and there will be a lot of traffic.

We need to get an early start on Tuesday. Lunch stop will be in Cambria, CA and there will be one planned bio-break on the way. After lunch we will continue up the scenic Highway 1 up through the San Francisco area and then to the hotel in Sonoma, CA. The after lunch drive will bit a bit longer than the morning drive and we may plan 2 bio stops.

Kendall
In the event that I can join you guys for the drive up and for those coming in from out of state, can you recommend a place to stay on Monday night that would also be safe to park the GT's?

EDIT: Just reread the first post. Any problems with parking a GT outside at any of those hotels or are you aware if any of them have covered parking?

Last edited:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Not sure if we will make it for dinner on the 2nd, but we will need tow car and trailer parking.

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
Kendall,

Please change my dinner reservation to 1 person for dinner and no special parking for me.

Thanks for your work on this trip. Can't wait.

Aloha

GEE-TEE

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 1, 2009
Calabasas, California
By Bio dont you mean Gasoline too??? We will need many of those stops...

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Kendall,

My wife and I will drive up to your place the morning of. We plan on driving the GT both ways.

Thanks,

Vince H

AMB

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2005
San Diego,Ca.
Where is everybody meeting at 6am on Tuesday 9-3-2013?? Also put me down for one for dinner!!!

I would like to join you on September 3 on the North side of Santa Barbara for the trip to Sonoma. I assume that you will be coming North on the 101. If you would confirm the estimated time that you will be passing through Santa Barbara, (probably at about 9:30 AM), I would love to join up. John Scanlon, email 1940jes@gmail.com or 239-246-8708. Please excuse my first time attempt at communicating via the forum.

If you will be coming up the 101 from L A, I would like to join the group on the north side of Santa Barbara. All that I need is an idea of what time the group will be going through Santa Barbara. John Scanlon

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
All - regrettably, I will not be able to attend the Rally due to some commitments (wedding) that I have to attend the following Friday and Saturday. I've already spoken to Dave about it and I am still committed to help make the SoCal trek to Napa a very memorable one. We're lookng for a volunteer with whom we can collaborate with and discuss the various route options - and who will ultimatley be the leader for this caravan. Who wants to volunteer? Please PM me!

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
Hey Kendall,

I’ve decided that caravanning with your group is just not going to give me enough seat time this year. I’m going to drive up to Sacramento on Saturday, 8/31, and go on the Golden Gate - Yosemite run with our Northern California brethren.

Please take me off of the list for dinner, etc.

I’m sorry you won’t be able to make the Rally, itself, Kendall. I’ll ask Dr. Frank to buy everyone a round in your honor.

Thanks for all of your work on setting up the trip.

Aloha,

Dave

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Hey Kendall,

I’ve decided that caravanning with your group is just not going to give me enough seat time this year. I’m going to drive up to Sacramento on Saturday, 8/31, and go on the Golden Gate - Yosemite run with our Northern California brethren.

Please take me off of the list for dinner, etc.

I’m sorry you won’t be able to make the Rally, itself, Kendall. I’ll ask Dr. Frank to buy everyone a round in your honor.

Thanks for all of your work on setting up the trip.

Aloha,

Dave

Dave
Where is the info on the Sacramento/NorCal run? Would make more sense for me to go up and travel with the NorCal'ers rather than go down south and back up north.