Radio tuning frequency

Gimbal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 11, 2007
Queenstown, New Zealand
In some countries the radio station frequencies end with even numbers (92.0, 101.4, etc.) In the USA they end in odd numbers (92.1, 102.3).
Does anyone know of a solution to this problem short of replacing the radio? Is there a way to program radios or a hidden switch to change the tuning?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
In some countries the radio station frequencies end with even numbers (92.0, 101.4, etc.) In the USA they end in odd numbers (92.1, 102.3).
Does anyone know of a solution to this problem short of replacing the radio? Is there a way to program radios or a hidden switch to change the tuning?

???????????

'Not sure exactly what the issue is here or just what it is you're trying to accomplish...

(Yup. I'm dense as they come...)

Gimbal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 11, 2007
Queenstown, New Zealand
Some newer digital car radios in the USA tune only into odd number frequencies. If that radio was brought to and used in New Zealand, for example, then it won't be able to tune into local stations because local stations broadcast in even number frequencies. A station here at 92.4 can not be tuned in at 92.3 or 92.5 so unless the radio can be re-programmed it would need to be replaced. It's just another incompatibility issue between other countries. I'm not sure but I think European countries broadcast in odd and even frequencies which might cause some interference between two stations with a separation of only .1MHz instead of .2MHz
Anyway, just wondering if someone knows of an easy fix without having to replace the radio with a local one.

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Some newer digital car radios in the USA tune only into odd number frequencies. If that radio was brought to and used in New Zealand, for example, then it won't be able to tune into local stations because local stations broadcast in even number frequencies. A station here at 92.4 can not be tuned in at 92.3 or 92.5 so unless the radio can be re-programmed it would need to be replaced. It's just another incompatibility issue between other countries. I'm not sure but I think European countries broadcast in odd and even frequencies which might cause some interference between two stations with a separation of only .1MHz instead of .2MHz
Anyway, just wondering if someone knows of an easy fix without having to replace the radio with a local one.

If your referring to the McIntosh radio, then I can tell you contacting McIntosh will get you next to nowhere. I spoke to 3 people there about the McIntosh radio in the Ford GT and they new less than nothing about it. Other than that I don't have an answer.

John

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

Aaaaaaaah, now the light dawns.

About the only thing I can think of that you can do is get the exact model of the radio and "Google" for some kind of 'hack' regarding the installation of a switch or jumper that'll accomplish what you wanna do. According to a techno geek friend of mine - those do in fact exist.

Aug 25, 2006

Gimbal

I will chat with Jay who has a contact within Macintosh and see what if anything can be done

Takes care

Shadowman

Aug 25, 2006
*** UPDATE ***

I just chatted with Jay and all is good

The Macintosh unit can be modified; I will have the specifics next week as I am told that it is a on board jumper, trim pot, or ?

Takes care

Shadowman

Gimbal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 11, 2007
Queenstown, New Zealand
Thanks all, I've done some internet searching with no luck so far. Others have asked the question but no answer yet. I'm sure there is a solution, I can't be breaking new ground here. I also have a 2007 GMC Denali pickup truck here in NZ with the same radio problem with no fix or solution so far. I don't want to replace the stereo because it is integral with the ceiling DVD player and the GPS moving map (even though I have not got that to work either down here yet).

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Worst case, if you open the case you may find a tuner IC with jumpers for frequency settings. Of course the radio would have to use an off the shelf IC so that you can get a datasheet from the web.