Racing # on the Heritage/Gulf cars?

trackmeister

GT Owner
Jan 19, 2007
Does anyone know how the racing numbers for the Heritage cars were chosen? Did all of these cars come with numbers inside the white circles or were they blank?

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Does anyone know how the racing numbers for the Heritage cars were chosen? Did all of these cars come with numbers inside the white circles or were they blank?

They all came blank along with a sheet of numbers for owners to chose which numbers they wanted to put on to thier machine.

I chose to put the # 6 on to mine - as have quite a few others.

Fred

:cheers

trackmeister

GT Owner
Jan 19, 2007
Fred, thank you for the info. Can the sheet of numbers be purchased through Ford parts? I wonder how difficult it is to remove the numbers if they are already stuck on :confused

Please excuse my ignornace but why the #6? Was that one of the LeMans winners?

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Fred, thank you for the info. Can the sheet of numbers be purchased through Ford parts? I wonder how difficult it is to remove the numbers if they are already stuck on :confused

Numbers come off pretty easily. A heat gun helps but be careful since the white roundel sticker could be damaged. You can buy the numbers set and the white roundel stickers from Ford parts.

The original #6 GT40 Gulf car has Lemans racing heritage thus the popularity of the number. I also liked using the #6 on my car since if I messed it up when I applied it I could use one of my spare #9s turned upside down as a replacement. In fact, the number you see on the side of my car in the signature below is actually one of those upside down nines...:frown

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter

Chris is right on the money in his explination to your questions.:thumbsup

Actually, I still have the original number sheet unused that came with the machine.:wink

Another option as far as the numbers go; is go to a sign and graphics shop and have the numbers made. I think the 4 numbers, for the car cost me $20.00; can't beat it.:biggrin

:cheers

Fred

ItsOnlyMoney

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
Celina, Tx

P1075 (The famous Gulf GT) won LeMans in 1968 ( wearing #9 ) and 1969 ( wearing #6 ). I chose to put 9 on my car. That's why you see these two numbers used most often.

David

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
Chris I did the same thing..I tried to put them on myself and screwed up the 6 so I resorted to a sign shop and number 9 upside down.

Don't let David Lie the reason he took 9 is because the more appropriate #6 was already on my car and he knew he couldn't live up to the reputation :)
(I can give him shit...he came with me to the rally and then bought the same car as me :) )

Matt