Racing Fuel added

GEE-TEE

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 1, 2009
Calabasas, California
There is a gas station near my home which cells racing fuel I beleive up to 103 Oct. Is it safe for me to add to regular 91 in my tank? Is 50/50 safe?

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
If your car is in stock form you will be fine with 91. You will see no benefit (and most likely a loss of power) from adding race fuel.

GEE-TEE

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 1, 2009
Calabasas, California
Thanks. yes my car is totally stock. I was just curious since it really made a difference in my last Carrera as well as the Mustang Saleen. But if you say it wont make a difference, Ill blow off the idea. Just thought once in a while might be good for the engine...?

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Thanks. yes my car is totally stock. I was just curious since it really made a difference in my last Carrera as well as the Mustang Saleen. But if you say it wont make a difference, Ill blow off the idea. Just thought once in a while might be good for the engine...?

I can make you some tunes that will net you more power in the octane of your choice (91, 93, 99, 103 etc) a good bit over stock if your interested.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I'm not sure about the Carrera but the Mustang should not have gained power. A car would need a knock sensor and the ability to advance timing based on knock feedback in order to take advantage of different fuels. Even with that technology most manufacturers limit how much the computer can advance the timing.

There are folks here with a great deal more knowledge about the subject than me and I am sure they will chime in. With a modest tune you can get 50 more hp on pump gas. If you tune the GT to run on 103, I bet you can get 100+ hp.

Good luck, have fun.

DWR46

GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 20, 2008
Before buying race gas, note if it contains lead. Unleaded race gas can be used in your stock car without potentially damaging the catalytic converters, but leaded race gas can ruin the converters and this could be a problem in states where the cars have to pass emissions testing.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN

Effer-Man
The above guidance from Mark and others is correct. Do not waste your money thinking higher octane gasoline will do anything for your stock tune GT engine. It will not do anything but pull dollars out of your wallet for no return. See parallel octane discussion in post:

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15351

Let me quote author Edward Obert, in his book “Internal Combustion Engines and Air Pollution”, Section 8-18, Summary of Gasoline Characteristics:

“If the designed compression ratio is low in order that cheaper low-octane fuels may be used, the purchase of high-octane fuels will give NO (my emphasis) better performance and is an economic waste.”

(MouseCatcher, I saw your reply in the previous thread and am working on a response. Frank is waiting with bated breath…)

GEE-TEE

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 1, 2009
Calabasas, California
Thank Y'all. As it is Im just loving the power as is. I will not track my car until one day I get a second GT whic will be after my present wife. I am in love with my low maintaenance car for now. But as we men always want more will keep y'all posted.

Thnaks,
Arya