R Compound Tires?

Clax

GT Owner
Mar 22, 2006
R Compound Tires? (street legal)

I am looking to add R Compound tires to my GT that are street legal (have the optional BBS rims). Anyone aware of which companies offer R compounds in the proper size? Thanks.

Last edited:

TrackDay

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2006
Clax,
The only track tire currently available in the US that I know of is the Hoosier R6.
Call the Tire Rack and order the Hoosier race slicks 245x40x18 R6 and 315x40x19 R6
They fit the stock rim and this tire combination has already been worked out on the Ford GT.
Check here for more track use details:
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16742#post16742

Clax

GT Owner
Mar 22, 2006
TrackDay said:
Clax,
The only track tire currently available in the US that I know of is the Hoosier R6.
Call the Tire Rack and order the Hoosier race slicks 245x40x18 R6 and 315x40x19 R6
They fit the stock rim and this tire combination has already been worked out on the Ford GT.
Check here for more track use details:
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16742#post16742

Oops, I should have been more specific in my post. I am looking for a street-legal R Compound tire (like Corsas, Pilot Sport Cup, etc.). I'll edit my original post.

TrackDay

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2006
The Hoosier R compound tires listed above are DOT (street) legal but for all intensive purpose are slicks.

John B

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2006
I've been looking for the same thing and haven't found a suitable replacement for the Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercars. I think they are the weak link in the whole car. Michelin makes some PS2's that on first pass look like they might fit but on closer examination they would decrease the rake in the car by 3". Thats WAY too big of a change.

I have a set of Hossier R6 compounds on a spare set of wheels for track days. They work great for that but I wouldnt run them as street tires.
God help you if you got caught in serious rain.

Clax

GT Owner
Mar 22, 2006
If anyone has info on truly streetable R compound tires for the GT, please let me know. It needs to have some form of rain tread in the tire.

TrackDay

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2006
Pirelli Corsa and Michelin Sport Cup tires list something like 6/32 inch tread depth and are DOT street legal. However, in all honesty you can not run these on the street. They will wear so quickly that for all intensive purpose they will be slicks in no time and just as dangerous on the street when cold or wet. Yes the Hoosiers have even less tread depth (or lack there of). The tread depth is not listed on the Tire Rack web site but from the looks of the tire it is perhaps 3/32 of an inch. So, all three are track only tires and should not be used on the street. Keep in mind even on a track it takes about one lap or perhaps even more if it is a cold day to get enough heat in all three of the above tires to get grip out of them.
Ha, and you thought your car was tail happy with the Goodyear tires on a cool day or in the rain (it's not just about tread, getting enough heat in the tire is perhaps even more important).
The Corsa, Sport Cup and Goodyear “slicks” are not available in the stock size so it’s all just idle talk.

For an alternative street tire we need to be patient for the Michelin Pilot Sport, Pirelli P-Zero, etc. and then see how they stack up against the Goodyear. Keep in mind Goodyear worked hard, hand and hand with Ford to construct a tire as best as possible for the GT.

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You know, this months Motor Trend has a comparison of the tuner cars vs the Z06. All the cars were shod in Michelins. I haven't been able to find what we need yet either, but they must have them since they used them in the article.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
I have pirelli p corsa's 345 x19 on the rear of my car. I havent checked mileage, but i've been road racing twice and to the 1/4 mile once and at least 1500 reg street miles and the tires still seem to be ok. so at least so for now they seem to be ok.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
californiacuda said:
I have pirelli p corsa's 345 x19 on the rear of my car. I havent checked mileage, but i've been road racing twice and to the 1/4 mile once and at least 1500 reg street miles and the tires still seem to be ok. so at least so for now they seem to be ok.

I take it the the wider Pirelli's at 345 vs 315 fit the car without any clearance problems? I never tried the P corsa tires but my guess would be they are alot stickier than the Goodyears.

BlackICE

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
If you track the car and are an agressive driver the wider tires may rub against the liner in a couple of places.

Dave

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
The wider 345's fit fine on the wheel and I had no problem with the tire rubbing anywhere, they have much more grab than the stock tires. We ran a 10.97 with the Pirellis.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
californiacuda said:
The wider 345's fit fine on the wheel and I had no problem with the tire rubbing anywhere, they have much more grab than the stock tires. We ran a 10.97 with the Pirellis.

A trip down the strip is not the type of track I was referring to. STraight line racing will not impact the wheel wells.

Dave

TLP

Jan 21, 2006
barondw said:
A trip down the strip is not the type of track I was referring to. STraight line racing will not impact the wheel wells.

Dave

I believe he stated he has tracked the car twice ( road course) and went to the strip once. No rubbing problems at all. Then simply states they have a lot more grip and states the 1/4 mile time to show how much more grip is truly in them. :cheers

TrackDay

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2006
Cal-Cuda,
What rim size / offset and tire size you are using with the Corsa in the front?
What rim size / offset are you using with the Corsa and what profile for the rear 345x __ x19?
Please also confirm you did not see any signs of rubbing after running your car on a road race track due to spring compression and lack of clearance of the rear inner liner.
How is the balance of the car with this combination?
Thanks.

MR2Race

FGT The Velvet Hammer
Apr 6, 2006
Northville Mi.
Please be careful. When switching tire sizes around.

Guys
Please be careful. When switching tire sizes around.
If you do not stay with the designed tire circumference ratio front to rear.
You could trick the ABS system in to a failure mode.

I know for a fact the Hoosier is correct.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Wow, I didn't know that we different tire sizes could trick the abs. I have put the 345 pcorsa's on the rear, and for some strange reason I have some michellins on the front. With this setup the car was on two different road racing tracks with a top speed of 160 and no tire rub. It also ran a 10.97 in the quarter.

The Gt with the twin turbo from stage 6 runs 305 18" nittos and I think that they are substantially less tall then the stock tires and I don't think their abs has been tricked yet.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Oh, I forgot, I'm using stock rims with the 345 pirelli pcorsas

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
MR2Race said:
If you do not stay with the designed tire circumference ratio front to rear.
You could trick the ABS system in to a failure mode.

This is not correct...
Also - what happens then when you spin the rears?? ha ha

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
californiacuda said:

Hey CalCuda,
Could you post a picture of your car with the Pirelli's??

Thanks