Question Regarding Alingment Shims

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
Question Regarding Alignment Shims

My poor dealer doesn't have a clue regarding the shims the GT requires for camber adjustment. The alignment shop is similarly without experience. Here's my situation: after lowering the car with the adjustable spring perches from T&A, the camber on the front right side is -1.01 degrees, while the front left is -.25 degrees. The right side has BLUE shims, the left silver. I want to be at -1 degree on both fronts.

The question: If I want to get close to -1.00 degrees of camber on the left front, what color shim should I use? Should I assume blue and remove the silver? HELP!

Also, does anyone have the Ford part # for the GT shims?

Last edited:

MR2Race

FGT The Velvet Hammer
Apr 6, 2006
Northville Mi.
shims

It is a slight gamble. But the blue shim to replace the silver. Is the best choice for a wild guess? We are lucky, this cars frame, a-arms and uprights are all CNC machined parts so the tolerance stack-up that affects wheel alignment is small.

By any chance did you check the alignment before starting work on your car?

I think there is a page with all the shim thickness in the service manual.
Unfortunately there is no hard fast rule defining the amount each shim will change the alignment.
You will end up using your best judgment. Make a change then evaluate the change. And possibly repeating as required.

I will check for more info available to ease this problem.

Keep us updated

Thanks

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Call Rich at the GT Guy. He and Denis have installed lots of those lowering kits and can probably answer your question. 734-658-9498.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You might check with BaronDW as well.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Sorry do not the the color for various shims. Suggest the GT Guys.

Dave

tunedup2aGT

Oct 27, 2006
Michigan
I recommend the red shims. the silver should be the same thickness as the blue and will not change your angle.

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
tunedup2aGT said:
I recommend the red shims. the silver should be the same thickness as the blue and will not change your angle.

Doh! I raised the GT this evening to prepare for the shim install, and realized that I have BLACK shims on the left side, not silver. Now that I have the replacement shims in hand, I realize that black are thinnest, then blue, and red is the thickest.

So, the same question applies: I need to gain about -1 degree, should I go from black to blue, or from black to red.

Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the help.

Part two of my DOH! it takes four shims to adjust camber on one side, not the two I ordered. Haste makes waste. Shooda looked at the factory manual before I got started.

Last edited: