Question for you owners

racer959

Aug 23, 2010
Hello guys, I'm pretty new here. I have owned a couple of corvettes ( 1 Z06 ) and a few porsches. I currently own a porsche 993 twin turbo with over 600 HP, the performance is incredible. My question is, I am looking to buy a Ford GT eventuality. I love the look of the car, but I am a little worried about the performance compared to my porsche. Will I be disappointed as far as handling, reliable, and power. Thanks for your help.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
:lol

Come on now...

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
Post your area and one of our owners who drives seriously will get together with you, run rings around you and then we will watch for your Porsche in the want ads the next day. :lol :cheers

disclaimer......Porsche's are very nice cars and I like them, but as DBK so aptly stated.........Come on now....

racer959

Aug 23, 2010
A stock Ford gt, bring it down Old Bridge NJ. :rofl

GTViperman

GT Owner
Jun 18, 2009
Northern California
If you put a twin turbo and some better tires on a Gt it would be as good as it gets in the sports car world. Hell, in stock form it is hard to touch as far as performance is concerned. I have owned many Vets (including a Z06), an Nsx, and 3 Vipers and now a Ford Gt. I have no regrets at all with buying my GT. If money is not an issue I would say go for it!

racer959

Aug 23, 2010
Viperman, thank you for your kind reply, sounds great. The other two are looking to start a war, but that's ok when ever a stock GT want's to meet up with me I'm ready. No hard feelings guys, just asked a simple question. :thumbsup

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
No

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
While I have limited track time in my GT, I still think I can comment regarding the overall performance of the car vs other high perf contemporaries. The first time I took the GT to Autobahn in Joliet, the track was shared with the local Porsche club. My on board instructor who races an SCCA BMW M3 was really impressed with the GT abilities, particularly on the 1400 ft straightaway. After 6 20 minute runs of the track, I had really improved my times, and could basically run down nearly anyone ON THE STRAIGHTAWAY. This was not wheel to wheel racing; however, with the instructor, I was really able to keep pace on more experienced cars/drivers because of the GT's abilities. My car is stock the than the X pipe. With a pulley, the car's acceleration would be even zanier.
I think the issue for many Porschephiles is the size of the GT; certainly most courses are too small for it's width and capabilities. Additionally, the GT has stayed relatively expensive, but after a year or two, only the rarest of Porsches haven't plummeted in price.
My advice is if you can afford one, go for it. Much more visceral than the Italians, and far greater soul and passion than the German cars.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I wasn't trying to start a war; just look who you're asking. It's fordgtforum.com. I highly doubt anyone will say "yes, you will probably be disappointed with one of the most universally revered and well received supercars ever compared to your 993 Turbo." :lol These things easily make 600 rwhp, have bulletproof engines and we have members with mileage totals way over 50,000. I'd say you wouldn't be disappointed.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
A stock Ford gt, bring it down Old Bridge NJ. :rofl

Racer959,

A stock 993 has about 400 hp so yours has been modded for a 50% power increase. That brings it close to the power of a stock GT. My Ford GT, like your 993, has twin turbos and a 50% power increase. The sum total of my repairs in 5 years has been 1 gas gauge. Stock to stock, or modded to modded, the 993 (a great car in its day) doesn't even come close. The TTGT will go from 0 to 200 MPH in 18.9 seconds on pump gas. Time your highly modified 993 from 0 to 200 and if it's quicker than that, you have your answer. If it's not, let me be the first to welcome you to the Ford GT Forum.

Chip

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
My response was playful as well. I need to get to know someone to start a war. I have owned a few cars and this is the very first one I can't see selling.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
perhaps I should chime in, seeing thatI I owned a 993tt that was making about 560hp to the wheels, up until last month. I had it for 7 years, and when I bought my ford gt I didnt drive it for the last two years, hence why I sold it, anyway to answer your question, its not even close and Im willing to bet that you will put your car up for sale if you buy a gt. if you are making 600 on a 993 that mean you had to go through a lot to make that kind of power, when you buy a gt you will spend less that 1K to go from 550 rwhp to 640, and with about 10K you will make close to 800hp to the wheels, you will have to spend three times that on the porsche to make 800 and it will break at that level, the gt on the other hand is just getting started at 800 :)

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
.......when ever a stock GT want's to meet up with me I'm ready.

It appears that you insist that the matchup be between your HIGHLY MODIFIED 993 and a BONE STOCK Ford GT as you already know that's the only way a 993 could match up. OK I've got a 2007 Mustang GT with a "few" mods, and it would annihilate any stock 993. I don't think that means the Mustang is a better car than the 993 or that I wouldn't enjoy owning a 993 as I think they are really cool cars. I suppose if you modify it highly enough, a 1968 Chevy Nova could outrun my Ford GT. But that still wouldn't make me want to run out and buy a 1968 Nova. Cheers.

Chip

Last edited:

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
I have a modified 911 turbo. When I got my GT, the Porsche became a really great car that I like to drive as my daily, everyday, drive it in the rain or whenever I need to get groceries kind of car. If you're a diehard PORSCHE guy, your opinion may differ, but if you're a diehard CAR guy, I don't think you'll find the experience any different than I did. Don't get me wrong, I love my 911, but the GT is in another league and is a car that makes me happier than ANY other car I've been in.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Racer959, if one us posted on a Porsche website that we had a Ford GT and were considering buying a Porsche, what do you think the response would be? No one here is trying to pick a fight. I suggest you use the search button and you will find almost any and all answers.

ROCK

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2006
Miami
I would put it this way, the ONLY Porsche I would give my Ford GT for at this point, is a 2011 911 GT2 RS.

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
Here is some personal experience added to this thread! I owned a 2006 GT for three years and sold it last year, big mistake! I am currently looking for the right GT to buy and keep this time! As for your comparison my first question would be what year is your 993? What type of comparison are you looking for? I currently own a 2011 GT3RS and have to say it is in a class by itself when it comes to the track, ease to drive and all around fit and finish and engineering is about as good as it gets! That being said my car really is designed to be a track rat and has the latest technology possible where as your 993 even though modded is still out dated! What has been done to the chassis, susp., brakes, how heavy are the wheels? Are you looking for a straight line monster or a road course car? Lots of questions to be answered! The FGT is like no other car ever built especially for the money, a mid engine super charged super car for around 150-160. Now their are cars that are great values as many Viper owner's here know but for all around performance, exclusivity, aura, iconic status, ease to mod, looks, reliabilty etc. their is no car made that compares to the FGT IMO.

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Here is some personal experience added to this thread! I owned a 2006 GT for three years and sold it last year, big mistake! I am currently looking for the right GT to buy and keep this time! As for your comparison my first question would be what year is your 993? What type of comparison are you looking for? I currently own a 2011 GT3RS and have to say it is in a class by itself when it comes to the track, ease to drive and all around fit and finish and engineering is about as good as it gets! That being said my car really is designed to be a track rat and has the latest technology possible where as your 993 even though modded is still out dated! What has been done to the chassis, susp., brakes, how heavy are the wheels? Are you looking for a straight line monster or a road course car? Lots of questions to be answered! The FGT is like no other car ever built especially for the money, a mid engine super charged super car for around 150-160. Now their are cars that are great values as many Viper owner's here know but for all around performance, exclusivity, aura, iconic status, ease to mod, looks, reliabilty etc. their is no car made that compares to the FGT IMO.

Variety is the spice of life, that's why I own Porsches (among them a 2008 GT3RS), Vipers (two ACR's), Ford GT's and other cars. They all "Do What they Do" well, but are all suprisingly different.

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
Variety is the spice of life, that's why I own Porsches (among them a 2008 GT3RS), Vipers (two ACR's), Ford GT's and other cars. They all "Do What they Do" well, but are all suprisingly different.

Tim if the mood ever strikes you get the new RS, a far superior car then the 07-08 version's with the 3.6! I also own an ACR and of all the Viper's I've ever owned it's the best! You are right though, variety is a great way to experience it all for yourself and not have to rely on other's opinions albeit here they are very valued!

Attachments

• DSC01793.jpg
    DSC01793.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 240

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I have owned and raced Porsches for 20 years .They are wonderful cars .
But the Ford Gt is the greatest! I mean the Great in so many ways ,LOOKS , FUN , RARITY, PERFORMANCE,SMILE FACTOR , LOVED BY EVERYONE !DID I MENTION SEXY .
You will find yourself going to your garage just to stare at it ! I have even had a word or too!