Pulley Upgrade, the details

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
I'll have my white/blue GT in Heffner's shop next month doing the pulley mod. Can't wait! :thumbsup

Chris, Just curious, what ALL are you doing along with the pully. I am considering the Wipple for my white car, but want to do an economic analysis (because that's what I do) for the effort/cost/H.P. gain via various routes.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I'll have my white/blue GT in Heffner's shop next month doing the pulley mod. Can't wait! :thumbsup

Jason has my Whipple sitting on his workbench right now just waiting for me to get my red car to him. Now if I could just find a truck that wasn't broke down or too busy delivering Barrett-Jackson cars maybe we could get this show on the road!!:willy :willy

P.S.... Race 'ya Chris!!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
The stock Eaton twin screw blower is actually make by Lysholm in Sweden. If you google Lysholm, there is a lot of info on their 2300 series blower, which is the stock GT unit repackaged by Eaton.

Thank you, Sir.

E.P.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Chris, Just curious, what ALL are you doing along with the pully. I am considering the Wipple for my white car, but want to do an economic analysis (because that's what I do) for the effort/cost/H.P. gain via various routes.

I am installing Heffner's exhaust before taking the car in for the pulley and tune. I do already have the factory trans cooler on the car. At the present these are the only engine mods I have planned. But you know how that goes Tim...ask me again in a month or two. :wink

Jason has my Whipple sitting on his workbench right now just waiting for me to get my red car to him. Now if I could just find a truck that wasn't broke down or too busy delivering Barrett-Jackson cars maybe we could get this show on the road!!:willy :willy

P.S.... Race 'ya Chris!!

Hmmm. Does that mean if I get to Jason's shop before you I can have a Whipple installed???

Always up for a race...Sebring is a great track for GTs...maybe after your install?? :lol :lol

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Hmmm. Does that mean if I get to Jason's shop before you I can have a Whipple installed????? :lol :lol

Everything has a price....how much is it worth to you?:biggrin

The way things are going, by the time I find a truck to Florida I can probably have another Whipple delivered anyway.:frown

samthejeepman

Permanent Vacation
Oct 14, 2005
new jersey
well i got #1451 back today from "ida automotive"
even with 18 degree weather, it was worth the trip home from his shop
final corrected dyno numbers:
744 hp crank(15%)
632 rwhp
585 torque
16 lbs boost
it was an animal(tamed)
now a untamed beast

big thx to ida automotive

sam #1451 red/white

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
744 hp crank(15%)
632 rwhp
585 torque
16 lbs boost

sam #1451 red/white

What size pulley did you use, and the octane of the gas please?

H

HHGT

744 hp crank(15%)
632 rwhp
585 torque
16 lbs boost
it was an animal(tamed)
now a untamed beast

sam #1451 red/white

Sweeeeeeeeeeet.

samthejeepman

Permanent Vacation
Oct 14, 2005
new jersey
hi
used a steel 16lb boost pulley(not sure on the size--according to ida secret--calls it a 16 pounder)--i had it in my hand before the install, looks close to a 2.7 ????
93 or better octane
etc, etc, etc, etc

sam #1451 red/white

Last edited:

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
744 hp crank(15%)
632 rwhp
585 torque
16 lbs boost
it was an animal(tamed)
now a untamed beast

sam #1451 red/white

Congrats sam..... Looks like you have to move down south where it is warmer to drive the beast more:biggrin

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
I am installing Heffner's exhaust before taking the car in for the pulley and tune. I do already have the factory trans cooler on the car. At the present these are the only engine mods I have planned. But you know how that goes Tim...ask me again in a month or two. :wink

I just PM'd Bony offline to get his advise. I too have the transcoolers on both cars, and that's all. It would be nice to have one of the cars making silly housepower. (forgive the typo's, just had two Martini's). Anyway, I am leaning to the Whipple, but am considering going with the pulley and pipes as I believe it will yield more H.P. per dollar.

On another note, will you be in town March 28 through the 31st? Look at Stormcat's thread on "getting together". I hope to hook up with you guys for dinner, cruise-in, etc. while I am in Boca relaxing. I'll PM you with my dates, etc. (I'm rambling now, it's Friday night, just got back from the Motorcycle Show and the Martini's my buddies and I drank at dinner are doing their dirty deeds in my head..........):cheers

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
There is no doubt that horsepower is a game of diminishing returns. The first hundred horses is always the easiest and cheapest to achieve.

$2000 for pulley gets you an extra 100 HP (650+ or -) Best value.

$11000 for a Whipple gets you the next 100 HP (750 + or -)Best investment IMO

$25000 for a twin turbo gets you the next 100 (safe) HP (850+ or -) Questionable return on investment.

Rebuild the guts of your engine for even more $$$$ along with the TT gets you crazy HP. (1000 ++) Strictly for when money is no object.

Where will it all end??:biggrin

Disclaimer: All prices are approximate. Don't sue me.:eek

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Everything has a price....how much is it worth to you?:biggrin

The way things are going, by the time I find a truck to Florida I can probably have another Whipple delivered anyway.:frown

Just buy your own. Never wait again

Roadtrip

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2006
Will the pully/exhaust void the warranty? Does anyone know of a quality shop in IL capable of the install? And correct me if I'm wrong but they way I read it, the pully can be changed without an exhaust upgrade, but the ECU will need to be re-mapped?

-Mike

Aug 25, 2006
Will the pully/exhaust void the warranty? Does anyone know of a quality shop in IL capable of the install? And correct me if I'm wrong but they way I read it, the pully can be changed without an exhaust upgrade, but the ECU will need to be re-mapped?

-Mike

Warranty..... this is between you and your dealer; certainly there could be issues and yet there are laws attempting to protect the end user i.e. you as the example however if pushed to use those measures it can be a PITA. So I repeat this remains between you are your servicing dealer.

As for doing a pulley swap, yes a supporting software tweak is advised however you can certainly leave the OEM muffler and enjoy most of the gains without the "sweet" music; but why would you?

Shadowman

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Roadtrip, might be better to take a "roadtrip" to Detroit and let the GTGuys do the work. Haven't really heard of anyone in the midwest that wants to do these mods.

trackmeister

GT Owner
Jan 19, 2007
We all know that increasing blower speed at a given RPM creates more heating of the air at that rpm ...which at SOME point will create a LOSS in HP, not a "gain".

So, my question is: was the STOCK pully ratio on the STOCK blower as it came from the factory actually underdriven as far as "optimum" boost/air temp/ HP, etc. were concerned?

In other words - at what point ...what pulley "ratio"... is one "overreving" the blower?:shrug

This is an excellent question that never really got answered. Anyone :confused

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
The supercharger on the GT is made by Lysholm of Sweden and repackaged by Eaton. On the Lysholm website, their 2.3L blower is listed with a max rpm of 13,500.

trackmeister

GT Owner
Jan 19, 2007
The supercharger on the GT is made by Lysholm of Sweden and repackaged by Eaton. On the Lysholm website, their 2.3L blower is listed with a max rpm of 13,500.

Great, now can the math expert tell me what RPM the blower is spinning at 6000rpm with the stock pulley and with a 2.76" pulley?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Great, now can the math expert tell me what RPM the blower is spinning at 6000rpm with the stock pulley and with a 2.76" pulley?

I think you can do the math, no need for an expert. I think the stock pulley is 3.25 and the crank pulley is 7.1 or 7.2"