Pulley Change - Real Effect

hboyle2003

GT Owner
Oct 23, 2006
A number of folks have replaced the stock pulley with a 2.7" pulley and increased the HP by about 100 (with a tune). My question is do you really notice the difference other than the shorter E.T. / MPH. That is to say, does the car really feel different with the extra HP.

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
Absolutely!

Black2003Cobra

Mar 4, 2006
NY
Actually, what you’ll feel is the added torque. Torque at the flywheel is multiplied through the transmission and differential (by the overall gear ratio) to an even larger torque at the rear wheels, (rwTQ = fwTQ*GRtot). The torque at the rear wheels results in a force at the contact patch, which goes as the torque divided by the radius of the tire, (F = rwTQ/Rtire). The higher this force, the larger the acceleration (a = F/m). The acceleration, and hence torque, is what you feel. Torque represents the ability to do work. Power is just the rate at which work is done, (P = TQ*angular_velocity). Putting a smaller pulley on the supercharger forces in more air at any given engine speed, (which also means more fuel gets injected), so torque goes up. Therefore, the answer to your question is yes…you will definitely “feel” the difference!

Terrence

GT Owner
Jul 23, 2006
Los Angeles
In a word, "YES" :banana

RWTD

Oct 14, 2006
Mobile, AL
worthy.gif
Black2003Cobra

FordGTGuy

Aug 1, 2005
Norfolk, VA
cobra just fing PWNED me. :ack

:cheers

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I think Cobra is saying that HP is a function of torque (of course I failed quantum physics so Cobra might have just said that HP stands for Hokey Pokey and we should all turn ourselves around but I digress). So consequently, whatever you feel must be torque. We laymen prefer the use of the term Horse Power because it has the word "Power" in it.

At any rate, the general consensus is you can feel the pulley in the seat of your pants. 100 HP or 100ft/lbs torque is roughly a 23% increase in engine output.... that’s huge.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
hboyle2003 said:
A number of folks have replaced the stock pulley with a 2.7" pulley and increased the HP by about 100 (with a tune). My question is do you really notice the difference other than the shorter E.T. / MPH. That is to say, does the car really feel different with the extra HP.
big time !

Big Carrot

GT Owner
May 13, 2006
Dallas
Feels like a totally different car! HUGE difference.... HUGE!

Aug 25, 2006
Yes; HP is an extrapolated number.

As for the pulley swaps and the HP gains; likely I have seen and yet I ask; what is the torque increase and where in the power curve does it come into play. I suspect being a mechanical air pump that comes in sooner and runs a bit longer.

All the best

Shadowman

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
It feels like how I would have guessed the car would feel before I drove it.

blkdiablo33

Nov 27, 2006
los angeles
what exactly is done to acheive 100 hp?what is the stock supercharger psi putting out?what is the psi after the pully?any exhaust mods and ecu tunning to acheive the 100 hp gains?where do you get all the parts from?
thanks

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
If you go to the Kenne Bell web site there is a chart that shows hp/tq with different pulley size, good info.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
pulley, chip, acufab exhaust = 602rwhp
see dyno chart on other pulley thread
big whipple,chip,aufab = 750rwhp :cheers :banana :cheers

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Go Whipple!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
californiacuda said:
It feels like how I would have guessed the car would feel before I drove it.

I'll agree 100% with this statement... my car now feels like I was expecting it to feel outta' the box. Still is very drivable down low, but now the boost comes on more quickly and makes a big difference in the acceleration factor.

mardyn

blkdiablo33

Nov 27, 2006
los angeles
awsome 600 rwhp with just bolt ons insane

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Just for comparisons sake, a stock GT takes about 19 seconds to hit 250kph according to this test. With the 2.7" and tune, it can be done in about 15. You can see this is significantly faster than any other car in this test except for the Veyron. Unfortunately, I haven't got a chance to verify the 300kph time, but I suspect the gain in time is even more significant. The difference in how hard the car pulls over 155 is astronomical.

index.jpeg