Pulley change on stock blower

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
Can it be done on the ground easily - or does the car need to get on a lift to get the smaller pulley on there?

Lorenzo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2008
U.S.A.
Since you have the word easily in your question I am confident in my answer of NO.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Don't need a lift but the blower needs to come off. Not a particularly hard job for a competent mechanic. Took me about 3 hours all in but I took my time.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Don't need a lift but the blower needs to come off. Not a particularly hard job for a competent mechanic. Took me about 3 hours all in but I took my time.

I agree. Also, the supercharger snout must come off to press the new pulley on. Make sure you have the correct supercharger oil on hand.

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
It depends on the kit. Some pulleys require shortening the belt by spacing out the PS pump. It would be a real P.I.T.A. lying on your back. As JC has said, you need to pull blower. You also need a press to push off the old and on with the new. Nothing really trick about it, but IMHO, it would be a nightmare without a lift.

Good Luck

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
The shim thing has been debated a bit. I did not bother, the tensioner is near center of its range and there is no belt slip to past 16psi. I did insist on a steel pulley not aluminium due to slip issues but have not had need for the shims at the PS pump. Replaced the belt at the 20k service just for good measure but the original was fine.

Some have said their pulley slipped without the shim or that the tensioner was near the end of its travel. Must be some production tolerances in the design somewhere either in the mounts or belts.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Shims are not difficult to install without a lift IMO.

As stated you will need to remove the SC, then the snout, and press the pulley off/on.

Instructions:
http://www.fordracingparts.com/download/instructionsheets/FordInstShtM-2005-GT.pdf

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Supercharger fluid available on ebay and amazon.
Arbor press needed to remove and install pulley.
Remove aft S/C bolts last, that's what allows the S/C to tilt off the belt - reverse for re-install.
If you do have a lift you can reach the tensioner and relax it and restraint it with a 1/2" drive long breaker bar and a short extension.
End of tensioner has a 1/2" drive square hole for that. You can't see it, but you can reach between firewall and pulley side above oil pump housing. That makes life pretty easy with the S/C and belt. Put some foam pieces around belt so it won't fall slack below.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
Thanks to everyone for the replies! It was for a buddy of mine who's car is going in tomorrow and we were wondering if it could be done in the Dyno bay...