Pulley and Tune

PRDATR

GT Owner
Jan 9, 2006
Michigan, Upper Peninsula
As they are fond of saying here in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, "Holywah"!! :biggrin
After swearing to myself that I would not tinker with the engine or supercharger, the devil inside prevailed once again. I took Jezabel (my wife's naming of the gt) to Livernois Motorsports in Dearborn Heights, Michigan where they installed the 2.75 Whipple pulley and did a custom tune using the sct Xcalibrator 2. Horsepower increased from 514 to 611 and torque increased from 479 ft. lb. to 596 ft. lb. Baseline conditions were a humid 75 degrees and modified dynorun was at a humid 85 degrees (Dynojet chassis dyno).
Numbers are one thing, but the urgency of the acceleration after the modification. Wow or Hollywah!! Prior to this I would not have believed that such a simple mod could have made this significant of a change.
'Thank-you' to all the forum members who told me to take the plunge :cheers

ETW

GT Owner
Jan 16, 2006
:thumbsup Be careful with all that power!

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
When I got my car, it felt slow. But after the pulley/tune work, the acceleration was thrilling.

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
I've been studying the Tunes and it's a toss up at this point with Bob Ida's chip change or the SCT tuner. They both seem to be hitting about the same end result. The SCT seems to be one of the better tuning systems. Glad to hear you had good results. Lowering the air temp in the engine compartment will also improve your numbers. :biggrin

davefordgt

GT Owner
Feb 10, 2006
I have the SCT tune with no cats and boral. Puts down 630 RWHP. Big gain from stock, but now I am to use to it. Need some more.

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
Must be like drugs. :lol

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Yeah, wait for the "crash."

PRDATR

GT Owner
Jan 9, 2006
davefordgt said:
I have the SCT tune with no cats and boral. Puts down 630 RWHP. Big gain from stock, but now I am to use to it. Need some more.

I still have cats on mine, but I've toyed with the idea of a cat-delete pipe. Have you experienced any part-throttle drivability issues with the cat-delete pipes?

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
davefordgt said:

Does that mean pulley, Ford Racing headeres, and Borla?? Thats what I've got lying in boxes on the floor..:) Then ad the Acufab throttle body fpr an ekstra 5-8 HP...

Well I suppose that will have to do until Whipple get their 3.3 packege released..:)))

PRDATR

GT Owner
Jan 9, 2006
californiacuda said:
When I got my car, it felt slow. But after the pulley/tune work, the acceleration was thrilling.

That's the great thing about the GT's supercharger; you get that huge torque increase very low in the rpm range. With the 2.75 pulley on my GT, 540 ft. lb.'s of torque are available at 2500rpm. That is 140 ft. lb.'s more than with my stock pulley. That does create a thrill! The max torque and hp numbers only tell part of the story. Enjoy, but like ETW says above-- be careful out there(that damn devil inside) :thumbsup

dgussin1

Jul 6, 2006
Chicago, Il
with 600+rwhp on tap, thats a low 10 second car on sticky tires...must be fun. Where did they set your timing to?

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
Anyone know what a pulley-tune costs ...ballpark figure?

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Ballpark 2K

S/C needs to come off for the change.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Anyone know what a pulley-tune costs ...ballpark figure?

DIY's can do it for less than a grand.. Ida Pulley $ 299, Base SCT tuner about $ 600.. I'm finally going to get mine done this week...

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I was thinking the same, but said if I am going to all of the work to removed the superchager, why not replace it with a Whipple. The only difference in the labor is swapping out the superchanger belt, the hardest part of the Whipple install. Of course the Whipple is a little more money. With the pulley swap you will need a pulley puller and press.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Ice man is 110% correct!
Go Whipple and never look back.:thumbsup:biggrin:thumbsup

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
Ello' Gents,
It's been a while but now I'm sort of gettin in the GT modifying grove once again..:)

At this time in space there must be quite a few people with some 3.3 (Whipple) experience, and I myself are very tempted to go that route - so here goes my thoughts.

1: What is the max output one could expect with a Whipple - and is the max boost suggested 19 psi??

2: I remember issues about more heat build-up with the Whipple to a such a state that the power dropped below that of the standard blower. Is this true??

3: How is the Whipple company to deal with - do they have the 3.3 ready to ship at this time??

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
- Mind you that one have the 2.75 pulley and "Torrie-tune" dynoed at 630 RWHP allready...

So should I expect the same "WOW-feeling" from 2.75 to Whipple as I had from std to 2.75??

GFORCE

GT Owner
Jan 14, 2006
Whipple it

Bite the bullet,Did that first then whipple no know kooking back.My other gt
i did the tune and pulley.But after the whipple it just was not the car the whipple was.So that one is being whippled now.

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
OK, whats getting a whipple cost? I promise to keep it a secret from my wife...