Pulley and Tune California smog question

GTViperman

GT Owner
Jun 18, 2009
Northern California
Has anybody on the forum passed a smog check on a Gt with a pulley and tune in California without going back to the stock tune first? I am getting tired of adding extra miles and waiting for my car to return to the stock tune just to get a smog check. If anybody has had success with keeping the performance tune and passing a smog test without going back to stock please let me know. Thanks.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Gee, mine with a GT Guys setup passed with flying colors here in CO. The FRPP setup is supposed to be 50-state compliant. What do you have on it? Or have you not tried to take it in with your mods installed?

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
I'd be really surprised if it did not pass as is.

I have a Ford pulley and tune on mine and have to get the first smog check with this set up in a couple weeks. Hope I'm right!

Last edited:

sandman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 10, 2006
Gardnerville, Nv.
The FRPP GT Power Upgrade is 50 State compliant.

A canned or custom tuned car in my experience will need to be returned to the stock tune then put through a start-up and driving cycle.

GTViperman

GT Owner
Jun 18, 2009
Northern California
Sandman,
I am running a tune that Shadowman uses. I do not believe he uses the FRPP tune. Did your car not pass with a custom tune? Thanks,
Alan

A canned or custom tuned car in my experience will need to be returned to the stock tune then put through a start-up and driving cycle.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

If a tune disables any of the O2 sensors that is true because the code will be logged. No cats, no pass. Even the FRPP pipes with the bump outs are known to be no cat by Colorado. They told me when I pulled up that if I had them I'd just as well turn around. It surprised me because they also said they'd never had one but did their research while I was in line. They also didn't do a dyno test because they knew it would rip it apart.

sandman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 10, 2006
Gardnerville, Nv.
Sandman,
I am running a tune that Shadowman uses. I do not believe he uses the FRPP tune. Did your car not pass with a custom tune? Thanks,
Alan

No neither of mine do with a custom tune. I have to return to stock then reset the P1000 code and all but 1 OBD II monitors cleared before it can be smogged. It has taken from 20 to 200 miles.

sandman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 10, 2006
Gardnerville, Nv.
If a tune disables any of the O2 sensors that is true because the code will be logged. No cats, no pass. Even the FRPP pipes with the bump outs are known to be no cat by Colorado. They told me when I pulled up that if I had them I'd just as well turn around. It surprised me because they also said they'd never had one but did their research while I was in line. They also didn't do a dyno test because they knew it would rip it apart.

Where I live in Northern California the GT is not put on the dyno, just idle and 2500rpm static test. The visual so far here has been a non-issue as the techs are more interested in taking pictures with the cars than actually looking too closely. It's good being in the sticks!

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
Mine passed no problem in SoCal with a pulley and tune......FRPP.....

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Mine passed with a pulley and tune just last month.

Vince H

drof gt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 10, 2006
Los Angeles
I have the pulley and the tune, my GT passed the smog check a while back. I also have the GT Guys X Pipe.

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Now in NY the dyno and sniffer are gone.
They only check for codes.
For years it was a major hassle to get my Superformance Cobra inspected.
Mark

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The FRPP tune is, for a fact CARB compliant and has a specific EO number that can be referenced. However, virtually all tunes will pass a CA smog test without problem - as long as the CATS are there and the downstream O2 sensors are functioning. The reason is that the CA Smog test regime never puts a load on the car and the car stays in closed-loop mode during the entire cycle. Tuner mods only come into play in open-loop mode and since open-loop mode is never engaged, the car will pass. Again, this is true for cars that have retained their EGR and O2 components.

GTViperman

GT Owner
Jun 18, 2009
Northern California
From what I have heard so far it looks like the Ford racing tune kit will pass a smog test as is in California, but a custom tune like mine will not. It looks like I have to go through and change back to stock every 2 years. Thanks for all of your input on this issue.
Alan.

GTViperman

GT Owner
Jun 18, 2009
Northern California
The FRPP tune is, for a fact CARB compliant and has a specific EO number that can be referenced. However, virtually all tunes will pass a CA smog test without problem - as long as the CATS are there and the downstream O2 sensors are functioning. The reason is that the CA Smog test regime never puts a load on the car and the car stays in closed-loop mode during the entire cycle. Tuner mods only come into play in open-loop mode and since open-loop mode is never engaged, the car will pass. Again, this is true for cars that have retained their EGR and O2 components.

Kendall,
Thanks for your comments on this. I will check and see if the 02 sensors are still functioning with Shadowman's tune. I still have the Cats on the car so I know there will be no problem there.
Alan.