Protecting Carbon Fiber - Question

550rwhp

GT Owner
Nov 6, 2012
North of Dallas, Texas
I have some carbon fiber pieces (center tunnel, e-brake bezel, door rings and more) made by Kip and want to protect them from scratching. I am worried about scratches to the center tunnel and door rings from the seat belt hitting them and door sills when getting in and out of vehicle. I picked up some vinyl at a local hobby store, made some patterns and cut the vinyl to fit.

My question is, will the vinyl cause the carbon fiber any harm or cause discoloration?

I am super careful, it is the people that ride with me that I am concerned with. If my wife is reading this, yes, I am talking about you and love when you dress up and wear high heels.

Any comments about how the carbon will wear with vinyl protecting it would be appreciated.

Jack

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Have you considered clear film (bra)? I have some I used on my OEM interior where scuff points are. I saved scraps from the initial installation.

cetro

GT Owner
Jan 14, 2012
Calabasas, CA
I would not put clear film on it. I purchased a car that had clear film on the interior carbon and when my installer tried to remove it to put on a new piece, the clear coat started to come off with the film.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Clear film is quite low tack, so if that caused the finish to lift, I would think a higher tack adhesive on vinyl would be a lot worse??