Proper way to deal with error codes on check engine light

BELIZE91

GT Owner
Sep 7, 2006
Hartland MI
My check engine light came on a few months ago on my 06. I drive it very little, only 4300 miles so far, it ran ok except for slight delay when you hit the gas then it seems ok, but power seems less. I don't have much experience in dealing with a code reader or how to deal with it. It came up with codes P1115, (air intake temp sensor) P0102, Mass air flow circuit low input) and P2198 02 sensor a/f ration sensor In doing some reading some say change parts in the order of the codes. Then check again, some say change first part delete bad codes and see if it repeats, Is this correct? Seems odd I have 3 sensors bad, looking for some advice on how to proceed.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I would start with clearing the codes then start the emissions drive cycle. You need to run the drive cycle because clearing (any) code will reset the monitor readiness indicators. If you don't have one you should get an OBDII bluetooth reader and an app for your cell phone (the one I got only works with Android). In the reader you will be able to see the codes, pending codes and monitor the various systems as they come ready all of this in real time (obey cell phone driving laws). If they reappear then it's time for a service call.

Good Luck

BELIZE91

GT Owner
Sep 7, 2006
Hartland MI
So you're thinking by doing the drive cycle procedure issues caused by cat not getting hot enough for example the only problems that are left would be the sensor that is bad?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
As you already have the codes, I don't see the logic of resetting it and waiting until they appear again. I think we need to deal with the codes. Based on the codes you received, I highly suspect the MAF sensor. (Inlet air temp is also build into this same sensor so it becomes even more of a candidate.) This sensor is also very easy to access and service. It's right on top of the airbox near the inlet accordion.

As you have very low miles, the first thing you may want to check is to see if you have any rodents that may have made the home in the airbox!!! You may want to use a flashlight and see if you can see anything out of the ordinary.

OK, assuming no unwanted companions, I'd remove the MAF sensor. Pull up the red tab on the wiring harness and then pinch and pull it up. Then you can remove the two screws on the MAF. At a local auto parts store you can find some MAF cleaner spray. It is probably worth a try before you replace the sensor itself.

Let us know how it goes.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
As you already have the codes, I don't see the logic of resetting it and waiting until they appear again. I think we need to deal with the codes. Based on the codes you received, I highly suspect the MAF sensor. (Inlet air temp is also build into this same sensor so it becomes even more of a candidate.) This sensor is also very easy to access and service. It's right on top of the airbox near the inlet accordion.

As you have very low miles, the first thing you may want to check is to see if you have any rodents that may have made the home in the airbox!!! You may want to use a flashlight and see if you can see anything out of the ordinary.

OK, assuming no unwanted companions, I'd remove the MAF sensor. Pull up the red tab on the wiring harness and then pinch and pull it up. Then you can remove the two screws on the MAF. At a local auto parts store you can find some MAF cleaner spray. It is probably worth a try before you replace the sensor itself.

Let us know how it goes.

Are these codes that will clear themselves (assuming they are MAF and the MAF gets cleaned/replaced) or do they have to be cleared first? I know that some (like evap) are self clearing. Others are hard codes until they are reset.

68Rcodeman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2008
Spring Hill, FL.
As Kendall said the MAF is the main input for the PCM to know air flow into the engine and will effect air fuel ratio causing O2 sensor lean or rich codes. There is a wire in the MAF that is heated with voltage and the cool air rushing past it helps the PCM determine air into the intake to the engine. Any obstruction or debris stuck in the MAF will cause the wire to not heat up and cause your faults. After Fourty cycles of the key with the fault no longer present the computer will clear the codes it's self .

thegtguy

*Supporting Vendor* GT Owner
Apr 20, 2006
MI
I plan to be out your way later this week to deliver a car back to an owner. Let me know if you would like me to stop by and take a look.

Feel free to call or send me an email. Info is in my signature.

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
You should take Rich up on his offer.

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Are you using aftermarket air filters such as K & N?

Jay

Tomcat

GT Owner
i plan to be out your way later this week to deliver a car back to an owner. Let me know if you would like me to stop by and take a look.

Feel free to call or send me an email. Info is in my signature.
do this!!!