Project TTSGT Dyno shakedown began tonight !!

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Hey Dan talk to Peak about reliability of the GT motor.
See this thread.
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8972

Or maybe just look at Torries own GT signature and I know he's been banging on it for some time now.

But I think Joe's was around 1300

Dan Schoneck

Permanent Vacation
Oct 31, 2007
Hey Dan talk to Peak about reliability of the GT motor.
See this thread.
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8972

Or maybe just look at Torries own GT signature and I know he's been banging on it for some time now.

But I think Joe's was around 1300

I think the heffners car made 980 to the tire on pump gas for that shoot out in Michigan and the following texas mile when he went 223.

As far as i know Joe's car has be blown up half the summer and they just got it together again. Trust me 1300 rwhp is NOT going to be reliable PERIOD. If u beat that type of power It will Break. After a thou to the tire U are starting to get into having a racecar maintnace on the engine. Not 40 to fifty thou of nice driving.

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
So far so good :banana

Have to commend Torrie for trying something new. We went down that road as well... it definitely spooled quick :willy

QKSTNG514

Mar 8, 2006
Orange Park FL
Its been a busy Friday and I am just now getting to read all this..

Guess I need to chime in..

I can tell you that Joe's GT was driven harder than any GT on this planet and was run over 180+ more times than I wanted to count not to mention that this same GT was on the Ford Test Track and the Ford Test Driver didnt give it a break for over 30min and it also surpassed the fastest mph ever achieved there by 25mph...

I was there, I tuned the car, I have the datalogs taken at over 200mph that prove without a doubt that even when abused this setup has withstood more that we nor some of the Team Members that built them ever thought it would and survived.

But Joe's car was not built to impress you, me, nor anyone but Joe hmself and with that being said you need to also know that when we started this no one could tell us any known limits therefore we had to find one by one..

I can tell you the limits of the fuel system, the Mass Air System, and how to correct these things to make over 1400hp and still maintain the returnless fuel system and Mass Air.. It would have been easier to make it a return system and go to a standalone, but me, Stage 6, and later Torrie and Mase, approached the build and tuning as if it was our own car.

Jason Heffner himself has done the same things with the GT's he has built and just look at the Vipers and now the Gallardo's!!!! Damn!

I, nor Torrie is out to tear up anything, on the contrary I feel we are a bit conservative but I will continue to push the envelope and work to get by the next hurdle.

TonY G

How long will they live and how long can u hold them wide open for?
I bet they can make more than a thou on the dyno but 331 cubic inch and 30+lbs of boost is pushing it to be driving it like u mean it on the street. Dyno queen yes, Well beaten street car or standing mile car would impress me to see it not burn up or detonate.
Maybe i am wrong but i have alot of data on small cu blower/turbo stuff that tells me otherwise.

I know of a couple of people that have made 1700, 1450 and 1300 rwhp on
E85 fuel which is 105 octane. But i will Tell u the car that made 1700 was tuned by Steve Petty of Proline Race engine and we talk in great legnth about being able to try and race that down a track and he said it probally wouldn't work and neither the 1450 or 1300.

QKSTNG514

Mar 8, 2006
Orange Park FL
Joe's car was not "blown up" it suffered a broken crank right behind the 28lbs balancer and the bearings still looked perfect after "all that abuse".

This problem has plagued the GT500 crowd that are now approaching 900RWHP from them and now the Dampner manufacturers have released replacements that should help avoid this from happening.

Exactly where do we draw the line? Isnt the line redrawn by each indivudual concerning "Street Worthy"?

I will also tell you that I drove Joe's GT to Daytona and back all weekend last year and made over 1140RWHP (Watch the Turkey rod Run DVD) and still got 23.4 MPG there and back. I myself consider that one hell of a street car statement.

TonY G

I think the heffners car made 980 to the tire on pump gas for that shoot out in Michigan and the following texas mile when he went 223.

As far as i know Joe's car has be blown up half the summer and they just got it together again. Trust me 1300 rwhp is NOT going to be reliable PERIOD. If u beat that type of power It will Break. After a thou to the tire U are starting to get into having a racecar maintnace on the engine. Not 40 to fifty thou of nice driving.

Aug 25, 2006
Joe's car was not "blown up" it suffered a broken crank right behind the 28lbs balancer and the bearings still looked perfect after "all that abuse".

This problem has plagued the GT500 crowd that are now approaching 900RWHP from them and now the Dampner manufacturers have released replacements that should help avoid this from happening.

Exactly where do we draw the line? Isnt the line redrawn by each indivudual concerning "Street Worthy"?

I will also tell you that I drove Joe's GT to Daytona and back all weekend last year and made over 1140RWHP (Watch the Turkey rod Run DVD) and still got 23.4 MPG there and back. I myself consider that one hell of a street car statement.

TonY G

Well said and "THUMBS UP"

Now with all that you shared I can also share that the crank for these gals was out sourced by Ford and the first round of them had issues; now whether Joe was the recipient of one of these one can only speculate nevertheless it appears to me that a work around has been created to help insure that this does not happen again.

I saw the pictures of the crank failure and it was in front of the bearing indicatiing that the extended snout simply gave up the ghost.

Great work TonY G, Torrie, Stage 6 aka Dwight, Masse, and thank you for your comments

Shadowman

GFORCE

GT Owner
Jan 14, 2006
Whipple and TTs

I had pulley and bla bla.Then very quicky went to the whipple.I thought
I would leave the other gt alone but i did not.I had mine set up for 93
plus lucas.And that is a pain in rear end.I like the idea of getting the best of both SC and TT.

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
I know some of you know about this already, but I don't think I've seen it in these discussions yet. The Innovators West balancer. On the Modular Ford Forum it was discussed as a cure for this kind of failure. I am just curious if there is a crank problem or a balancer problem, albeit at 1400 HP its hard to call these things problems, more like hurdles.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Thanks Tony for redirecting the thread and resounding the voice of logic. Both TTGT's that we have had our hands on one being my own test mule are far from dyno queens. I am about to hit 21000 miles with mine and it was stock for 2 days. (Yes Shadowman you beat me with the 50 mile Whipple conversion) I have had a laptop in the passenger seat of my GT datalogging the vitals more then an actual passenger. I have spent month’s worth of time going over the code translating the data and perfecting the calibration for my vehicle and many many others. It’s not as though we just got into this yesterday with one stock GT. A lot of time, a lot of theoretical modeling, a lot of real world R&D goes into every aspect of how we approach all of this.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Holy shit! 21,000 miles already? That's awesome! :cheers

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Holy shit! 21,000 miles already? That's awesome! :cheers

Almost, when I dropped it off a couple of days ago it was 20,6xx. But that will be eclipsed shortly. From the begning I don't think I have been able to mask my enthusiasm for these vehicles in all forms. But I am not highlighting anything new in regards to that. :lol:lol:lol

I bought my GT to enjoy and that I have and shall continue to do as much as I can. I can't give a big enough thumbs up to the great people that were able to come together and build this vehicle for us. :cheers:cheers

KRAZYPSI

Permanent Vacation
Jan 13, 2007
Its been a busy Friday and I am just now getting to read all this..

Guess I need to chime in..

I can tell you that Joe's GT was driven harder than any GT on this planet and was run over 180+ more times than I wanted to count not to mention that this same GT was on the Ford Test Track and the Ford Test Driver didnt give it a break for over 30min and it also surpassed the fastest mph ever achieved there by 25mph...

I was there, I tuned the car, I have the datalogs taken at over 200mph that prove without a doubt that even when abused this setup has withstood more that we nor some of the Team Members that built them ever thought it would and survived.

But Joe's car was not built to impress you, me, nor anyone but Joe hmself and with that being said you need to also know that when we started this no one could tell us any known limits therefore we had to find one by one..

I can tell you the limits of the fuel system, the Mass Air System, and how to correct these things to make over 1400hp and still maintain the returnless fuel system and Mass Air.. It would have been easier to make it a return system and go to a standalone, but me, Stage 6, and later Torrie and Mase, approached the build and tuning as if it was our own car.

I, nor Torrie is out to tear up anything, on the contrary I feel we are a bit conservative but I will continue to push the envelope and work to get by the next hurdle.

TonY G

Well said Tony.

Dan Schoneck

Permanent Vacation
Oct 31, 2007

TonY G

I can tell u that detonation(Pump Gas) could of caused that crank to break along with the problem of the 22lb balencer, Not 28lbs. I talk to dewayne James from hellion and he agrees along with me that u guys are crazy to be toying with pump gas and these types of power levels. U guys can afford a 160,000 car but want to use 3 dollar pump gas to make racecar horsepower levels.:frown There is too much cyclinder pressure in these small cube motors and that is the problem. Along with the 3hp+ per cubic inch these engines are reaching.
Mod motors have been around longer than the ford gt and there are many Knowledgeable people out there that know what a mod motor can handle on pump and race gas and the GT isn't some special unit that is above and beyond any other ford mod motor. It has a 800 dollar crank, 1000.00-1200.00 set of rods and a 800 dollar set of pistons. (3000.00 block also and that is the main differance)
Innovators West has a 10lb SFI balancer that is 10% overdriven. I posted something about his here before sema but DBK thought i was a outside vender and removed it. I simply placed it to let u guys know that are making huge power how that the stock balencer is a problem. Also it will come apart after 7200rpm and innovators is good to 12,500 rpm.

I have allready got one of these balencers on my 07 GT500 With a procharger f1r as they share the same balancer except 100 offset inbetween the 10rib and the 6 rib. Innovators makes them both and they are a very nice piece. Contact Brad Wadle out there at Iw

Anyways good luck too all

BTw how much timing, how much boost, any methonal inj on joes car? What are inlet temps @200?

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Is anybody successfully running water/meth injection in a supercharged Ford with the integrated air/water in the intake manifold?

jj1987

Jun 9, 2006
I can tell u that detonation(Pump Gas) could of caused that crank to break along with the problem of the 22lb balencer, Not 28lbs. I talk to dewayne James from hellion and he agrees along with me that u guys are crazy to be toying with pump gas and these types of power levels. U guys can afford a 160,000 car but want to use 3 dollar pump gas to make racecar horsepower levels.:frown There is too much cyclinder pressure in these small cube motors and that is the problem. Along with the 3hp+ per cubic inch these engines are reaching.
Mod motors have been around longer than the ford gt and there are many Knowledgeable people out there that know what a mod motor can handle on pump and race gas and the GT isn't some special unit that is above and beyond any other ford mod motor. It has a 800 dollar crank, 1000.00-1200.00 set of rods and a 800 dollar set of pistons. (3000.00 block also and that is the main differance)
Innovators West has a 10lb SFI balancer that is 10% overdriven. I posted something about his here before sema but DBK thought i was a outside vender and removed it. I simply placed it to let u guys know that are making huge power how that the stock balencer is a problem. Also it will come apart after 7200rpm and innovators is good to 12,500 rpm.

I have allready got one of these balencers on my 07 GT500 With a procharger f1r as they share the same balancer except 100 offset inbetween the 10rib and the 6 rib. Innovators makes them both and they are a very nice piece. Contact Brad Wadle out there at Iw

Anyways good luck too all

BTw how much timing, how much boost, any methonal inj on joes car? What are inlet temps @200?
Re-read Tony's post about driving to various shows across the state (sometimes a few hundred miles such as cars for the cure), and tell me if you can figure out why he wouldn't want to use a gas that's not readily available at most gas stations.

Dan Schoneck

Permanent Vacation
Oct 31, 2007
Is anybody successfully running water/meth injection in a supercharged Ford with the integrated air/water in the intake manifold?

Not a problem and would be no different that doing it in a 03-4 supercharger cobra.

Best results are -25 windshield washer fluid and a bottle of propal/some gas treatment stuff in a yellow bottle(Brain fart) per 1 gal of windsheild fluid.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Not a problem and would be no different that doing it in a 03-4 supercharger cobra.

Best results are -25 windshield washer fluid and a bottle of propal/some gas treatment stuff in a yellow bottle(Brain fart) per 1 gal of windsheild fluid.

Yes, but where do you install the injectors? I read it would be best to install it after the intercooler.

Dan Schoneck

Permanent Vacation
Oct 31, 2007
Re-read Tony's post about driving to various shows across the state (sometimes a few hundred miles such as cars for the cure), and tell me if you can figure out why he wouldn't want to use a gas that's not readily available at most gas stations.

O i read it and the pump gas crusing isn't the problem with 1000+rwhp, the full throtle part is with the cars. I know its being done but I also know aftermarket valves are being used over 1000 hp and different pistons and the even better Manley rods. I would not try and make over 900-950 on pump gas with a stock motor. My thoughts though and every one can do as they please.

Dan Schoneck

Permanent Vacation
Oct 31, 2007
Yes, but where do you install the injectors? I read it would be best to install it after the intercooler.

Install the nozzles before the throttle body. 90% of the time the fluid is killed by the heat so there isn't much that goes through the cooler. (Depending on what kit and what nozzles are used)
I did see a picture in 5.0 mustang or muscle mustang and fastfords of some GT pistons that Al papito said had gone through exteme use of Methonal and that making this much power with these motor REQUIRES MAINTANCE. I don't know how much that gt user was using but maybe they could chime in.