Power loss?? Dyno near Chicago

metalman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 22, 2006
My GT has 6500 miles now and it seems that i've lost power. It runs stronger when the air is cool of course, but during the last 60 mph - 140 mph runs, starting in 2nd gear, it just doesn't have what it used to. I don't think this is because I am used to the power, because I have a new 2007 Corvette (not a Z06) and it feels almost as quick as my GT. The GT used to feel like a rocket.

Any ideas would be appreciated. I have never had any problems at all with this car and it runs great, it just doesn't pin me back in the seat like it used to.

Does anyone know of a Dyno near Chicago who has done GT's, I would like to have it checked there also.

Thanks,
Tony

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
They do run noticeably stronger in the cool weather but it sounds like it's pulley time...:biggrin

Omega_man

GT Owner 2005 #248
Mar 19, 2007
S. Florida
They do run noticeably stronger in the cool weather but it sounds like it's pulley time...:biggrin

Agreed!!! I have the pulley & tune on mine now. Its great. Last Friday night we went to the local car show/Viper club meeting, my wife was driving the FGT & I was driving my stock 06 Viper. We played around a bit on the highway on ramp & a few places around...the FGT smokes the Viper even with my wife driving it :eek:eek:eek

Aug 25, 2006
My GT has 6500 miles now and it seems that i've lost power. It runs stronger when the air is cool of course, but during the last 60 mph - 140 mph runs, starting in 2nd gear, it just doesn't have what it used to. I don't think this is because I am used to the power, because I have a new 2007 Corvette (not a Z06) and it feels almost as quick as my GT. The GT used to feel like a rocket.

Any ideas would be appreciated. I have never had any problems at all with this car and it runs great, it just doesn't pin me back in the seat like it used to.

Does anyone know of a Dyno near Chicago who has done GT's, I would like to have it checked there also.

Thanks,
Tony

Hi Tony

The only mechanical suggestion that I will make is for you to verfify that the intercooler pump is coming on; with the gal running after warmed up; sooner if programmed to do so you should be able to look at the site glass on the tank and see the water whipping around inside. If yes then go to step 2; either a smaller pulley, a Whipple, or ........... TT.

All the best

Shadowman

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Agreed!!! I have the pulley & tune on mine now. Its great. Last Friday night we went to the local car show/Viper club meeting, my wife was driving the FGT & I was driving my stock 06 Viper. We played around a bit on the highway on ramp & a few places around...the FGT smokes the Viper even with my wife driving it :eek:eek:eek

Ok Kim, Now that your wife can keep the GT straight how does the GT do against the Lambo??? :biggrin Tell you wife I'm only joking I think it's great that she gets to enjoy the cars as well!!! See you soon, Brian

TifosiTed

GT Owner
Jul 30, 2007
Chicago Burbs
In addition to what Shadowman suggested, I would check the induction system. Airfilters clean? Flex hose colapse?

Does the boost gauge still regester the same amount of boost?

I remember one FGT owner reported a mouse nest in the air filter assembly.

Rgds,

kosupply

GT Owner/Board of Directors
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 27, 2006
Houston
I have the pulley and tune on mine and it did not take long to get use to the extra power. I thought mine had lost some snap. Mine dyno'd 642 when installed. I had it back in for the IDA to Hefner swap and had them redyno the car. 630 but in hotter weather....you can get use to that power !

metalman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 22, 2006
Thanks for posting your ideas. I'll check the intercooler pump and air filters tonight and the boost gauge still goes to 12psi.

Other than that, it seems that I may just need more power.

Thanks again,
Tony

Jason's Auto Spa

May 22, 2007
IL & AZ
Other than that, it seems that I may just need more power.
Now you've got it! :banana