Possible tranny issues... Input would be appreciated

ogc

GT Owner
Apr 5, 2006
Hey guys,

Ford GT with 250 miles on it.

putting the car into 1st gear at a stop is difficult and shifting into second is really notchy, it almost feels like it is about to grind. Its not smooth at all.

The Clutch also engages really high up in the pedal travel, again not sure if this is all normal, or if the tranny/clutch needs to be broken in a little.

Thanks, any input would be helpful.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
There are several threads that discuss this in some detail. Two at least are listed just under your post.

Dave

ogc

GT Owner
Apr 5, 2006
barondw said:
There are several threads that discuss this in some detail. Two at least are listed just under your post.

Dave

Yah sorry about that, I didnt really check until after I posted...

So it seems normal, just need to wait for it to get up to temp.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
ogc,

Yes, there appears to be some normal "newness" to the gearbox which tends to improve with add'l miles - especially the 1-2 shift. Theses "symptoms" appear to always be present until the trans fluid has reached operating temperature.

However, at least one owner had reported improvement after an "adjustment" by the dealer. My assumption is that the clutch is hydraulic as opposed to cable (don't have my manual yet) in which case I assume there might have been some add't bleeding of the system to remove air. Notchyness and grinding will occur if the cluth is not fully depressed - either by user error or by a mis-adjusted clutch system.

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Air in clutch line?

This is good advice, since air in the clutch line could create the symptoms that you're experiencing. Jay

nota4re said:
ogc,

Yes, there appears to be some normal "newness" to the gearbox which tends to improve with add'l miles - especially the 1-2 shift. Theses "symptoms" appear to always be present until the trans fluid has reached operating temperature.

However, at least one owner had reported improvement after an "adjustment" by the dealer. My assumption is that the clutch is hydraulic as opposed to cable (don't have my manual yet) in which case I assume there might have been some add't bleeding of the system to remove air. Notchyness and grinding will occur if the cluth is not fully depressed - either by user error or by a mis-adjusted clutch system.

ogc

GT Owner
Apr 5, 2006
What about the clutch engagement point? Where is it on your cars? This is literally right up at the top.

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Air in clutch line?

Yes, that's why I feel that you have air in your system. My engagement is about 40% from the floor.

Please keep us informed, Jay
ogc said:
What about the clutch engagement point? Where is it on your cars? This is literally right up at the top.

BigsGT

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 8, 2006
Austin Texas
Good thread, I've thought mine needed adjusting since the engage point is right at the top. Unfortunately I don't have much confidence in my GT tech... :(