Port Jeff-BP Ferry

RADGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 31, 2006
Connecticut
Anyone here driven their GT onto or off the ferry in Port Jefferson. As I recall it has a bad angle...would I scrape the bottom of the GT trying?

Stu

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Anyone here driven their GT onto or off the ferry in Port Jefferson. As I recall it has a bad angle...would I scrape the bottom of the GT trying?

Stu

'Not trying to be a wise guy here, Stu, but, assuming you're referring to a salt water ferry, wouldn't that angle depend on the height of the tide at any particular time? IOW, the approach angle may be FINE for the 4 o'clock run...but LOUSY for the one before or after?

Another thing to consider re: ferries is the ROOM available to open your GT's door & get out once you're onboard. (Many ferries I've taken here in the Pacific N.W. have very little.) You do NOT want to be trapped in your car if the ferry goes down. Jus' sayin'...

(Yes, you could go thru the window IF you have an average waist size.)

Paranoid Pockets

Last edited:

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
'Not trying to be a wise guy here, Stu, but, assuming you're referring to a salt water ferry, wouldn't that angle depend on the height of the tide at any particular time? IOW, the approach angle may be FINE for the 4 o'clock run...but LOUSY for the one before or after? ....

Doesn't the ferry connector float on a stationary floating barge to allow the ferry to dock to it? Thus, the angle would not change, as the barge rises and falls with the tide too.

RADGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 31, 2006
Connecticut
Thanks people. I contacted the ferry. The angle is worst at both high and low tide. Best is mid tide still do not know if there is enough to clear the GT, Guess I'll just make the drive around.

Stu

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Doesn't the ferry connector float on a stationary floating barge to allow the ferry to dock to it? Thus, the angle would not change, as the barge rises and falls with the tide too.

Wouldn't one still hafta negotiate the drop from the fixed surface of the roadway/parking lot to wunna these floating barges regardless? 'Same drop angle issue would need to be addressed wouldn't it? (I've never seen wunna these barge setups, so 'have no idea.)

Thanks people. I contacted the ferry. The angle is worst at both high and low tide. Best is mid tide still do not know if there is enough to clear the GT, Guess I'll just make the drive around.

Stu

If it doesn't require packing a sack lunch to GET to the ferry site, I'd just drive over there and take a look-see for myself so I'd KNOW what was what. Also, what does the ferry dock on the OTHER END of the 'ride look like!!! You may be fine on "this end" and SCREWED on the other! :lol And remember that the level of the tide is changing all the time, too, so, the total length of TIME to get to the "other side" needs to be considered as well when considering the apporach angle at your destination when you get there.

Nitpicker Pockets

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Radman - I"ve had mine on a number of ferries - fresh and saltwater dockings. Usually I get preferential treatment on loading last, so I can open the door.

What to watch out for is scraping the front spolier, particularly on leaving the ferry. The rest of the car will not have clearence issues is my experience.

RADGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 31, 2006
Connecticut
Thanks Jeff. I have had my cobra on many years ago and on that I scraped the tranny. It is indeed the front spoiler and rear diffuser the concerns me. My daughter is coming back via Ferry today so I asked her to scout out what the ramp to ferry angle is currently like and how much better it is at mid tide. Not a big deal to make the drive around but there is a possible event at Foxwoods on Sunday following the Barn event at Joeys that taking the ferry would make it that much easier to get to. Stu

GTJIMMY

Permanent Vacation
Jun 12, 2009
Lloyd Harbor, NY
Hello my "rad"-icle buddy from across Long Island Sound!

I have taken the Pot Jeff ferry several times and can confirm no changes in the angle at any tide since there is an adjustable dock plate with a long approach. I have been on it with my Lotus and Porsche with no issues. I think you will be file. And the answer is "YES" as Brother Larson in Seattle says....you DO in fact get special treatment and can be guaranteed a spot in the back all by yourself. A $20.00 also goes a long way with the deck hand!

Any chance you have to avoid the Bronx (I-95, the Bridge, the Cross Island Pky, etc...), I strongly recommend it.

See you at JOEY'S

PS: Plenty of beer in the Coke machine......

Jim

GTJIMMY

Permanent Vacation
Jun 12, 2009
Lloyd Harbor, NY
Rad,

AHHHH,,,,,sorry for the typos(ooops!)

Pot.....Port
file.....fine