Porsche Carrera GT thoughts ?

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Recently saw a black Carrera GT at a car show and was quite smitten by it. They seem to hold their values similarly to our GTs, not to mention I think pretty amazing looking, limited production ... Might be a fun 'swap' for one of my non-GTs.

Any of you guys who own or owned one have any thoughts on the car, in terms of driveability, ease of routine maintenace and the likes? I've read all kinds of crazy stuff, from outrageous maintenance costs, to the cars being "dangerous" to drive on the street.

I figure it has to be similar to drive as the GT - in fact it's actually quite a bit less HP than my GT (~740 rwHP) with similarly limited electronic nannies. I heard a clutch job can cost $25k, but if driven correctly, shouldn't be an issue.

I didn't get to sit in one, so also a bit curious as to how spacious? At 6'5", it's always an issue for me.
I fit in my GT reasonably well after lowering the seats, and my stock F458 very nicely.

Thanks

Last edited:

on d bit

Jul 20, 2008
maricopa az
I personally think they will be a classic like the 959 someday. As far as price I believe they have fallen about 100k from msrp but yet are currently holding steady. Production run of 1270 with 604 being sold here stateside, the market is not over saturated like some of the other Porsche's.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Carrera GT is awesome. I have had several. I Sold Ray Hofman his CGT. He is about your height. Talk to him about fitting in it

Aug 25, 2006
Phenominal car

Shadowman

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Great car, you've got to learn how to let out the clutch (just pop it!!), Has a real sweet scream at WOT, and yes like the GT, if you don't know what you're doing, the car will make you look stupid, real fast!!!!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Whats not to like?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Jax - there is a long old thread on this car here. I believe the clutch was the problem and they would not repalce it under warranty for the second owner.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Ed Sims and I got the pleasure of driving Mousecatcher's Carrera-GT. I was a great ride, in a great car!

IMO the exhaust sounds wonderful in the upper revs.

Can I say that even though I don't own one?

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...-Day-In-California/page5&highlight=carrera+GT

Last edited:

david b

GT Owner
Jun 10, 2010
cleveland ohio
I have a friend who has one. I recently drove it. I loved it. In my opinion there is one catch with the car, it's the maintenance cost. Before you buy make sure you fully understand the cost of ownership. One thing very different from the gt is the cgt is very expensive to maintain.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
CGT is one of the most desirable cars on the planet. I think the fact that it's such an animal and has high maintenance costs has dipped the prices compared to what they otherwise would be. Amazing sound, amazing engine, the best looks of all the big money super duper cars from that era. Just make sure it's got alot of clutch life left.

xrayman396

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2006
Bucks County Pa
I bought a 05 Gloss Black Carrera GT from Shelby back in April. Filled the need for a convertible. Absolutely a great car. completely different sound and power band than that of the Ford GT. *Both are just great cars.*

Sent from my iPad

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Just sat in one today. Unfortunately, way too small for me. I would have to coat myself in Wesson oil to slide in and out. My GT and 458 are way more comfortable. The new McLaren is also great for us tall guys.

4RE H8R

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2012
Granada Hills
Just sold my CGT about 6 months ago. Was a beautiful Black/Black. Loved the car but it was difficult to drive, very quirky, required a lot of attention and the maintenance was steep. It is the most beautiful car on the road though. Just not a car that I could relax and enjoy. Seen some of them go through clutches in less than 250 miles too if you're not used to driving a race car. At $25k per clutch it can add up fast. Mine was still good though after 7800 miles. The Auto Gallery in Woodland Hills, CA told me that he'd never seen a clutch last that long in any of them. Definitely not for the average guy and not a cruise around car. At least not for me.