Poor Man's Transaxle Cooler

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
Forum Members,
One of the surest methods to solve the transaxle venting problem is to install the Ford Racing Performance Products (FRPP) transaxle cooler for the GT. However at $1,300 it was a little too much for what I was willing to pay to solve this problem. Therefore I set out to rig up my own cooler, which I dubbed the Poor Man’s Transaxle Cooler, or PMTC.

Photos of the installed PMTC can be seen in my album in the gallery (you can search the gallery using Keyword PMTC). Also see Torrie McPhail’s (tmcphail) gallery for a similar and quite elegant cooler install.

First, the disclaimers:

1. My objectives in constructing and assembling the Poor Man’s Transaxle Cooler (PMTC) were to solve the transaxle venting issue and lower my transaxle fluid temperature. The Ford racing transcooler would have accomplished both objectives but I was looking for a more cost effective alternative.

2. The PMTC is NOT an equivalent for the FRPP transaxle cooler, primarily because the PMTC, although very efficient, does not appear as large as the Ford racing transaxle cooler (although it may indeed have as much cooling capacity as the FRPP cooler). Nevertheless, the PMTC DOES noticeably reduce the temperature of the transaxle fluid and did solve my transaxle venting issue.

3. Installing the PMTC does not mean you can “track” your car as if you had a Ford racing transcooler. Although if you already track your stock GT (i.e., no transcooler installed), installing the PMTC will reduce your transaxle fluid temperature at the track.

4. I have only 200 Miles on the transcooler so far, so it remains to be seen if the PMTC is the long-term solution to the venting issue. As for longevity, I predict the PMTC will last as long as or longer than anything else on the car since the PMTC is composed of automotive grade performance parts. An added benefit is it should extend the life of your transaxle as well.

PMTC Parts:
All of the parts for the PMTC are readily available from Summit Racing Products, an online company www.summitracing.com with three retail locations in the US. Those of us in the Atlanta area are lucky to have one of the retail outlets nearby in McDonough, GA., not far from the Atlanta Motor Speedway. I was able to shop online via the Summit Racing website and then go and pick up the parts the same day. The Summit retail outlet is HUGE, 250,000 square feet of nothing but racing and performance parts although much of the building is a warehouse where they fulfill orders for the entire USA. Those with a retail outlet near you owe it to yourselves to check it out.

The heart of the PMTC is the B&M Racing SuperCooler http://www.bmracing.com/index.php?id=products&sid=4&cat=20&subcat=28&pid=282. I chose part number 70273 (although you could use the smaller 70265 which I tried briefly). The cooler is compact (a stacked plate design), is rated at 15,000 BTU cooling capacity and is painted a non-descript black. The cooler has 1/2” NPT inlets and outlets so you will need some adapters to connect it to the hose of your choice.

I chose 3/8” transmission oil cooler hose (readily available at any auto parts store). For a dressier look, you could go with steel braided hose. I used ½” NPT to –6AN male fittings and –6AN 90 degree female to hose barb connectors to connect to my hose.

On the transaxle, I used M16 X 1.5 to –6AN male adapters and to this I connected –6AN female to hose barb fittings, which in turn connect to the hose. I used push on hose barb fittings because the transaxle is not under high pressure and they are easy to work with, requiring no tools to connect them to the hose.

As an alternative you can use –8AN fittings and larger diameter hose. Doing this will allow you to use the existing fittings on the transaxle. You will of course need to use –8AN to ½” NPT connectors at the cooler and –8AN to hose barbs for the hose.

I ended up using about 6 or 7 feet of hose. Your total length may vary depending on how you intend to route your hose.

Total parts cost for the PMTC is about $130 (the ford racing cooler sells for $1,279).

Installation Notes:
The hardest part(s) of the install was rigging up mounting brackets for the cooler and accessing the inlet/outlet on the transaxle.

For the mounting bracket, I doubled up two strips (for strength) of zinc plated steel mounting strap and secured them to the cooler. This effectively lengthened the mounting bracket of the cooler so it could “reach” the two pre-drilled holes in the lower rear sub-frame support on the passenger side (see photos). This also allowed me to mount the cooler without drilling any holes into the frame. I am currently designing a custom billet mounting adapter to make the installation look even more “factory” and professional.

Once the cooler was mounted (with fittings attached), I poured a little transaxle fluid (Mobil 1 full synthetic 75W90) into it to make up for the increased volume of the closed system that would be added by the cooler and hose. (EDIT: I ended up topping off the transaxle with Motorocraft 75W90 transaxle fluid for peace of mind). I did NOT top off the cooler, primarily because I think Ford over-filled the transaxles of many GTs (including mine) and some of the venting is because of this over fill.

Accessing and removing the braided bypass hose and the inlet/outlet fittings on the transaxle case just takes patience and determination. Of course you’ll have to remove the air box, and if you’re intrepid, disconnecting the shifter cables will help as well.

TIP: If you remove the rearmost fitting first, you can get to the other one with no problem. I believe the rearmost fitting is the fluid OUTLET from the transaxle.

Once you have everything cobbled up, you should DRIVE the car (not too far from home at first) to get the transaxle fluid up to temperature and then check for leaks.
EDIT: Venting may occur during the first several miles as the system purges itself of air trapped/added to system by the cooler and hose.

Performance:

Well, I can tell the transaxle cooler is working because it gets HOT! Being bolted on the lower sub-frame rail locates the PMTC in the direct path of “cool” induction air from the side scoop, which is desirable. Although intuitively I believe the PMTC increases the warm up time of the transaxle fluid, I did not perceive an increase in the 2nd gear “notchiness”. In fact, it feels as if my transmission shifts BETTER (this could be due to the fresh fluid I added).

As stated before, there have been no venting issues since the installation of the PMTC. I have driven the car aggressively and gotten the engine temperature up to 205-210 degrees and the transaxle case exterior has been dry as a bone. I’ll report back later if venting incidents occur.

Regards,
Eric

Attachments

• Transaxle 002 Low Res.JPG
    Transaxle 002 Low Res.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 454
Last edited:

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Eric,

Great job and great write-up. Thanks a lot for sharing. I'm in process to fabricate the brackets for my cooler. There's a few differences with the approach I'm taking;

1. I'm using a Setrab cooler Model 625. Trans/Differential btu rating is 16,000-27,000 btu/hr. I believe that dimensionally it is slightly larger than the Ford unit. Setrab is one of, if not "the", most popular cooler used by racing teams throughout motorsports, so I beleive the efficiency will be at or above the Ford-sourced unit. When ordering, you can specify whatever AN adapters you want. As I knew the GT used -8, I ordered with -8 fittings. I ordered the Setrab here. Cost was $190.

2. Although the brackets will be marginally more difficult, I'm trying to mount the cooler parallel to the body vent instead of parallel to the chassis pieces. Perhaps the cooling effect will be marginally better - but the main reason was that I wanted to match Ford's mounting location.

3. I plan to use braided -8 lines/fittings. Assume my budget is about $100 per line with fittings.

To your point, I think that I can have a complete cooler as good or better than Ford's for $400 and a few hours of foreplay with the GT.

Once again, Eric, great job.

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
Thanks for the kind words Nota4re. I like to save money when I can and when it is prudent.

Next thing I want to do is replace that big honkin' muffler with something that will lower the engine bay temps but without rattling my teeth or giving me a headache (highway drone).

By the way, that Setrab cooler looks BOSS! Please share your experience and post photos after you have it all hooked up.

Thanks again.
Eric

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Thanks to both of you guys for a couple of options...

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Here's a pic of my work in progress. It took a couple of hours to fabricate the main mounting bracket for the Setrab. I have blue tape on everything and still have some protective cardboard on the sides of the Setrab cooler. The cooler is tucked in so that incoming air through the passenger scoop is forced through the cooler. Just starting to fab the hard lines which will run to the main suspension bulkhead before transitioning to flex line....

A few more hours to go.....

TransBrkt.JPG

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Great posts, nice clean installation.

Dr Robert Harms

GT Owner
Nov 24, 2005
Transaxle Vents and Coolers

Im sorry but I don't understand the following

....how does the oil circulate through the cooler ? Does the transaxle have a pump ? is an external in line pump installed ?

... I just drove my car about 1000 miles last Thursday and wanted to specifically check for leaks as well as temperature on the transaxle. After this ride I opened the vent plug. Fortunitely no leaks, but also no pressure. Why is a vent needed if there is no pressure ? Looking at the owners book indicates that this plug is merely a level checker. The fluid was not overly warm (did not check exact temp) so I do not understand the ues of a cooler.

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
My understanding is there IS an internal pump for this transaxle. This pump is NOT shown in the shop manual (indeed no internals of the transaxle are shown in the shop manual) because the transaxle is meant to be serviced as a "package" (i.e., if repair is needed, the dealer just removes it and sends it back to Ford).

All transmissions/transaxles have a vent to allow for the expansion of fluid under temperature and subsequnt contraction as it cools. In a properly designed and appropriately filled transaxle, usually only air is discharged out of the vent. Some transaxle vents feature a filter so that no particulates are ingested during the contraction phase.

By adding a cooler, you reduce the temperature of the transaxle fluid which in addition to allowing the transaxle to operate under optimum conditions and increasing it's life, also reduces fluid expansion and the the chances that any fluid will discharge out the vent.

Eric

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Don't forget, and to more appropriately reply to the question, you are ADDING additional transmission fluid to the setup to allow for the new volume caused by the cooler. The transmission is ported in such a way that flow through it is unidirectional, and hence you have inlet and outlet fittings.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
....how does the oil circulate through the cooler ? Does the transaxle have a pump ? is an external in line pump installed ?

Pump is internal. Take a look at the top of your transaxle from the passenger side nearby where the shifter linkage bracket is. You will see a short, 6" braided steel line coming out of one port and looping back to another. In stock form, the oil is traversing this loop. If/when you add a cooler, you are simply adding a longer loop with a strategically placed cooler in it. The cooler will obviously help transaxle cooling - as will the additional gear oil that will be added to fill the add'l volume added to the system.

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
PMTC Update

I now have over 500 miles on the Poor Man's Transaxle Cooler (PMTC) and have had no venting issues and have experienced smooth shifting. In addition I have completed the design of a billet aluminum mounting bracket and I will provide photos once its manufacture is complete.

I also spoke to a well connected tech who told me all GTs were originally supposed to be sold with the trans cooler as stock. However, Ford felt they could make money by selling the cooler via FRRP and deleted it from the car. This explains the short loop of bypass hose on the transaxle and may explain why some cars driven aggresively or in hot weather will vent from time to time.

Eric

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Does anyone know which fitting has oil flowing out and which fitting is the oil return line?

BlackICE

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
I blelieve the one closest to the rear of the car is the OUT and the other one is the RETURN. See my post at the beginning of the thread from more tips and info.

Eric