Picture of our 2.8" pulley

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenBMD

Feb 22, 2006
Here's a pic of the pulley now that the desgin is finalized. I'll post pricing later today.

gtpulley.jpg

KenBMD

Feb 22, 2006
These are retailing at $325 and are available now.

Ken

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
Wouldn't you want a more stealthy pulley to get through the warranty/dealer issues?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
The holes seem to line up with the cutouts on the ribs. Is that for venting of air as the belt moves on the pulley?

Does this pulley fit your new snout, or is it for the stock blower shaft?

BlackICE

KenBMD

Feb 22, 2006
Yes, the holes are there to help they pulley grip better.

I suppose some people would want a more stealthy pulley, but I think no matter what aftermarket pulley you put on there, a dealer that would care, would also notice. This pulley is for the stock snout.

FYI, I think you are confusing me with Kenne Bell. Although I am a Kenne Bell dealer, I'm not afilliated with them. My name is Ken Bjonnes and I own MD Motorsports.

Ken

Clax

GT Owner
Mar 22, 2006
Ken, does anything need to be done to take up the belt slack? Shorter belt? Installation of a new tensioner pulley? I would be concerned that a smaller SC pulley would loosen the belt just enough to potentially cause some slippage. Can you comment on this please? Thanks.

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
Forgive me for sounding stupid, but I'm a computer guy not a car guy, so here goes:

What is the size of the stock pulley?

Why are all the new pulleys 2.8 and not 2.75 or something?

Why don't they call it a pushey instead of a pulley? :biggrin

Is this something that owners would install, or does it require more than a vise grips and duct-tape?

I assume that a re-tune is certainly in order after the install?

saber

GT Owner
Sep 25, 2005
NYC
Clax said:
Ken, does anything need to be done to take up the belt slack? Shorter belt? Installation of a new tensioner pulley? I would be concerned that a smaller SC pulley would loosen the belt just enough to potentially cause some slippage. Can you comment on this please? Thanks.
Clax,
There is a belt tensioner that keeps the belt tight. The difference the smaller pulley size makes from stock is not all that large anyway.

Clax

GT Owner
Mar 22, 2006
SuperB said:
What is the size of the stock pulley?

I assume that a re-tune is certainly in order after the install?

Stock pulley is 3.25" (I think), and a re-tune is necessary when installing the smaller pulley.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Clax said:
Stock pulley is 3.25" (I think), and a re-tune is necessary when installing the smaller pulley.

Retune is not necessary but a smaller belt is. That is my experience.

Dave

Clax

GT Owner
Mar 22, 2006
barondw said:
Retune is not necessary but a smaller belt is. That is my experience.

Dave

The 2.8" pulley adds approximately 3 psi to the supercharger. This is an increase of 25% over stock. I don't think the car would run properly without a tune. Adjustments need to be made to the A/F mixture, as well as spark timing in order to deal with the additional air flow. Without a tune, the car is going to run way too lean, and potentially cause some problems.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Clax said:
The 2.8" pulley adds approximately 3 psi to the supercharger. This is an increase of 25% over stock. I don't think the car would run properly without a tune. Adjustments need to be made to the A/F mixture, as well as spark timing in order to deal with the additional air flow. Without a tune, the car is going to run way too lean, and potentially cause some problems.

Clax

I run a larger "reduced pulley" 3.15" or 80 mm and the folks I used felt it was not required. But you may be correct about retuning with the 2.8" pulley. Certainly A/F mix and timing needs to be looked at because of additional air flow.

In regard to the belt mine was changed because the stock belt would no longer be in the sweet spot. I believe that either a smaller belt , tensioner change, or spacers are required when using a smaller pulley based on the knowledge of the folks I deal with.

Dave

Last edited:

Clax

GT Owner
Mar 22, 2006
barondw said:
Clax

I run a larger "reduced pulley" 3.15" or 80 mm and the folks I used felt it was not required. But you may be correct about retuning with the 2.8" pulley. Certainly A/F mix and timing needs to be looked at because of additional air flow.

In regard to the belt mine was changed because the stock belt would no longer be in the sweet spot. I believe that either a smaller belt , tensioner change, or spacers are required when using a smaller pulley based on the knowledge of the folks I deal with.

Dave

Dave,

Where did you get your belt, and how much different in length is it from stock? I have heard mixed stories about replacing the belt versus not. I have heard from some sources that the current tensioners on the car will take up the additional slack.

dixie

Apr 12, 2007
Hi! I would like an info. To install a new pulley, do I have to remove the blower, or is there another and simpler way to do this.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Super old thread. Yes you have to remove the blower. It's a definite 1-2 hours job.

Status
Not open for further replies.