Pics of new additions to stable

GT 1547

GT Owner
Dec 4, 2006
Vernal, UT
So I've always wondered, whats the cost to own your own airplane? I know it varies alot, but for a single engine Cessna like this what do hangar fees, insurance, plus maintenance end up costing? I plan on renting to try it out before I take the plunge. I hear it takes around 100+ hours to make it worth owning. And BTW, nice plane!

Sorry it's taking me so long to answer these, I've been pretty busy in the afternoons and evenings lately.

I'm just getting into it and getting back into flying so I really don't know exactly. It looks like it is going to be expensive but I don't think it will be quite as expensive as Chips estimate (hangar space and mechanic rates seem to be cheaper here) but you never know when stuff starts to break. The biggest reason I purchased the airplane now is there were some very good tax advantages to buying it in 2011. The way I structured the entity that owns the airplane along with my existing business allowed me to deduct 40% of the cost in year 2011 and also made it so I didn't pay any sales tax on the purchase price. I paid $460,000 for the plane so I get to write off $184,000 in federal taxes and about $30,000 in state taxes. So for me I thought the purchase made sense. although I seem to be able to rationalize anything if I want it very bad.

GT 1547

GT Owner
Dec 4, 2006
Vernal, UT
GT 1547,
Tell me about the ZR-1 after owning it for more than a year, and, is the GT-R as fun a the ZR-1, or more ?
I ask because I'm trying to decide which one to get.
Thanks,
Rock

Rock,

Both cars are awesome,, but I have really been enjoying the GT-R. That car is just a rocket, the accelleration is very addictive and i like the dual clutch paddle shift, it works well in all situations. It is very tame in traffic and brutal when you get on it. I have had the ZR1 for about 16 months and have 2000 mile on it. I have had the GT-R for about 8 months and have almost 6000 mile on it. The GT-R also has a nominal back seat and a very large trunk. The ZR1 is probably a little more comfortable out on the road. The magnetic suspension rides very good in tour mode, (almost on par with my CTS-V) where the GT-R is fairly stiff even in tour mode. I must be getting old because I sometimes catching myself cussing the ZR1's manual when in traffic or driving around town. Another thing that really surprised me is the amount of attention that the GT-R attracts, not quite like our GT's but quite a bit more than the ZR1. I think most people just see another corvette when they see the ZR1. I really like both cars but if iI had to sell one it would probably be the ZR1.

GT 1547

GT Owner
Dec 4, 2006
Vernal, UT
27,000 foot ceiling? Is it pressurized?

Not pressurized, just oxygen. I think the ceiling means it will still climb 100 ft per minute at that altitude. Because of need and airspace restrictions this plane will probably never go above 18000

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
I wonder what this bad boy was like to maintain - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bjzoh3iQJc

usmcfred

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 26, 2006
Massachusetts
"I paid $460,000 for the plane so I get to write off $184,000 in federal taxes and about $30,000 in state taxes."

So you're that "Corporate Jet Owner" Obozo is always bitching about and wants to tax into the Stone Age. Ha!

GT 1547

GT Owner
Dec 4, 2006
Vernal, UT
"I paid $460,000 for the plane so I get to write off $184,000 in federal taxes and about $30,000 in state taxes."

So you're that "Corporate Jet Owner" Obozo is always bitching about and wants to tax into the Stone Age. Ha!

That'd be me. lol