Pick her up tonight or wait for transport

mydogwashere

GT Owner
Dec 11, 2006
I just bought a new 2006 GT and it's waiting 4 hours a way. My question is do i go and pick it up and drive it back? I understand from other posts that you shouldn't be at a constant speed for the break in period and it's all highway for 4 hours. Or do I wait a week for the transport company to ship it.

I feel like a kid at christmas time. I can't wait to open my present.

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
Go get it... it'll be OK on the drive home.

Congrats.. welcome to the club;

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
100% have it shipped.

This is not a car "to learn all at once"

Most of the better transporters will give great service and it will be in your garage very soon.

Read the pre-delivery posts, things to watch out for; esp. starting in 3rd gear. 1st is slight to left

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Difficult decision! If the weather's good and you know the road you could give it a go (you can obviously vary your speed etc). But a four hour drive in a brand new car, new engine etc.....

If it were me and if this were my first serious sports car? I'd have it shipped.

But, and there's a mighty big BUT! There have been a few owners here over the years who have had problems with shippers - little scratches here, a ding there - that sort of thing. So I'd search for threads where a shipper has been highly recommended or talk to your supplying dealer about the condition of the car now (in his showroom) and that you'll not want any damage by having it shipped.

I feel sorry for the undoubted excitement you must have and the patience you are being forced to observe!

Good luck and let us know what you do........

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Another option is to rent a trailer and tow it back yourself. If you already have a tow vehicle this is a good option.

BlackICE

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Go get it! Just don't put your foot in it too soon. Save the expense and get it much faster. I picked my first one up in Houston in the middle of the day and had to learn the car "under fire". We drove down so my wife ran interference for me when I had to change lanes until I got used to the rear visibility. I drove it 200 miles with no ill effects.

Modern engines don't require the breakin that old motors did. You won't hurt it and by the time you get home you'll be very comfortable with the car.

Congratulations!

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
New Car

MY Dog - it's quite alright to drive it home. 4 miles or 400.

As was posted ealeir the engine just needs to be treated a bit gently when new. This also give the owner some time to get used to the new GT.

However, there are other mechanical things that need to be brought up to speed through a break in period, Brakes, Transaxle--etc - etc.

On a long drive home you've got 6 gears to play with. Used them all. I ususally vary car/engine/ tranny gears about every ten to 15 minutes. And I stop for a cool down period at a rest stop every hour or so.

Welcome to GT ownership. Have a great ride!

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
Is there a scenic route? Enjoy the scenery. The stops every 20-30 minutes will force you to vary your speed. As tempting as it is keep your foot out of it for the entire trip. The car can take it, but the record of driving from a dealership to an out of control wreck is 7 miles. If you stay off the boost it will purr like a kitten.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
As has been posted on this site before, 87% of statisitics are made up on the spot. Drive it. Vary your speed between 120 and 85 and it won't take you 4 hours. You will have to stop for gas, cause the tank's only good for about 300 miles. The biggest piece of advice is to make sure the tires are properly inflated and the fluids are where they should be. Drive it home if the weather is permitting.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I just bought a new 2006 GT and it's waiting 4 hours a way. My question is do i go and pick it up and drive it back? I understand from other posts that you shouldn't be at a constant speed for the break in period and it's all highway for 4 hours. Or do I wait a week for the transport company to ship it.

I feel like a kid at christmas time. I can't wait to open my present.

Man, have it shipped - I DID ... and the dealer was only 90 miles away.

Call me paranoid (many DO! ...as well as a few other things...), but, FIRST you need to become familiar with where everything IS on the car ... how the car does this and that... how quick (VERY!) it steers ... how the brakes react (instant!) ... WHERE FIRST GEAR IS - NOT 3RD!! ... how much of the car sticks out beyond where you THINK it does ... what you CAN & CANNOT see if a car is "here" or "there", and so on, before you "venture forth".

PLUS, you're pbly going to have to operate in "RUSH(?!) HOUR TRAFFIC to boot!... stop & go, stop & go, creep & crawl, stop & go:bang . Not to mention the all the IDIOTS "lane jumping":mad and tailgating:mad , etc. AND THEN THERE'S THE WONDERFUL ROCK CHIP IN THE WINDSHILED ODDS whioch go up dramatically in that sort of stuff (... and you have to remove the front fenders to replace a GT's windshield accd'ing to what I've been told).

NOPE! FERGIDDABOUTDIT! You'll just be "asking for it".:devil

Have a highly regarded outfit BRING IT TO YUH.:thumbsup

"Joy delayed is more gooder than joy destroyed." (Profound, huh.)

E.P.

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
Drive it, then you control what happens and not the shipper/loader. I've had four different cars shipped, and each time I was worried about all of the ghastly things that can happen with people climbing in and out of windows, etc. All arrived unharmed, by the way, but I would have loved to have driven them home.

Control your own destiny or someone else will. :thumbsup

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
Question:

Did you buy It to look at or drive ?
I had the same decision do I ship it or pick it up and drive it back !
Best drive I EVER HAD :thumbsup :banana :banana :banana :biggrin

BUT ........... take it easy.. it's not a ford focus.

Welcome to the fold !:cheers

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
warm it up...drive it like you stole it

Lightning

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 9, 2006
Hutchinson, Kansas
drive it home!
Vince

ATM empty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 10, 2006
Southern California
Your heart starts beating when you press the red button, keep your right foot light and enjoy the ride. ":banana :banana I DID"

mydogwashere

GT Owner
Dec 11, 2006
Shipping it

Thanks for all the input.
I have decided to have it shipped down. I live in the Ft Lauderdale, Fl area and traffic alone would prevent me from making it to the dealer in time tonight.
I am using a company called Auto Trans Experts, LLC. They are going to ship it down in an enclosed trailer and it will be here Wednesday. I will have my fingers crossed that they don’t put any dings in it.

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
You can pull off the highway every 30 minutes or so and let spectators drool over it. That way, you can turn that dull four-hour drive into at least eight hours of great fun.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Thanks for all the input.
I have decided to have it shipped down. I live in the Ft Lauderdale, Fl area and traffic alone would prevent me from making it to the dealer in time tonight.
I am using a company called Auto Trans Experts, LLC. They are going to ship it down in an enclosed trailer and it will be here Wednesday. I will have my fingers crossed that they don’t put any dings in it.

Alright! Another South Florida car. What color did you buy? Where did you buy it?

mydogwashere

GT Owner
Dec 11, 2006
Question:

Did you buy It to look at or drive ?
I had the same decision do I ship it or pick it up and drive it back !
Best drive I EVER HAD :thumbsup :banana :banana :banana :biggrin

BUT ........... take it easy.. it's not a ford focus.

Welcome to the fold !:cheers

I will definitely drive the car. That’s what it was made for.
I was on the track in my F430 and there were 2 Ford GT’s running that day. I fell in love when I saw them, had to have one when I heard them. Here is some in car video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvJYBcPfYao unfortunately I only got a few seconds of the 2 GT’s at the end. I can’t wait to get my GT on the track. I’ll post some video when I do.

mydogwashere

GT Owner
Dec 11, 2006
Alright! Another South Florida car. What color did you buy? Where did you buy it?

2006 White and blue stripes.
I bought it from Mullinax Ford in New Smyrna Beach. I went up to Arcadia, Fl to look at an 05 but the dealership wouldn't budge from $189K. I think he was still high. The owner wouldn't even come out and meet me and try and work a deal. My brother told me about the 2006 at Mullinax so I went there and got a much better deal and they were great to work with.