Penske shocks rattle -NEED HELP-

Edson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 28, 2007
Santa Monica
Hello all,

I had the Penske shocks installed about a month ago. My car sits lower and corners flat as a pancake. I will get it on a track early next month for a before and after comparison.

My one and only complaint is the clunk I get every big crack or small pothole. Is there a way to reduce the rattle on these shocks (all four corners)? I like the stiffer ride, but this is my daily driver and the added noise is annoying.

Thanks,

Edson

sandman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 10, 2006
Gardnerville, Nv.
You've replaced the rubber mounted stock stocks with a solid mounted shock. You've gained handling at the cost of a little noise. When you track the car you'll learn to live with the noise on the street.:wink

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
If the noise is only comming from the rear when the suspension is unloaded then read the following.

There are some "helper" springs for the rear shocks that help keep tension on the rear springs at full extension. If you have 2 springs on the rear, 1 very short the other is the same you already have rev 2.

Give Alex a call for more information.

Team Jeff

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2007
"Race car parts make race car noises"

It always makes me feel better when I remind my self of this fact. :thumbsup

Edson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 28, 2007
Santa Monica
Thanks BlackICE, I have one spring on each rear spring. I will give alex at TA a call. Race car noises bother the wife much more than me, it was already challenging getting her to go on long drives. Yep, I know, get a new wife:)

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Penske shocks

Edson - I don't think the clunk will not go away with the "tender" springs on the rear. It may be softer but the biggest contributor to the clunk is the solid connection from the shock to the chassis as Sandman posted. It will make the GT shine in the handling department though. A great car becomes phenomenal with the T&A Penskes.

My wife wondered why it was louder after I had the Penske's installed. I told it was the roads. She bought it!

Ed

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
You've replaced the rubber mounted stock stocks with a solid mounted shock. You've gained handling at the cost of a little noise. When you track the car you'll learn to live with the noise on the street.:wink

Absolutely correct.

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
Thanks BlackICE, I have one spring on each rear spring. I will give alex at TA a call. Race car noises bother the wife much more than me, it was already challenging getting her to go on long drives. Yep, I know, get a new wife:)

I've bought several new wives and I can tell you that buying a fleet of new Supercars to have her choose the ones she prefers is a hell of a lot cheaper. Fortunately, my current iteration loves the FGT. :banana

The other day we took her parents who were visiting from Wisconsin to Sunday brunch in two different cars. On the return, my wife and I switched and she drove her mother in the FGT and I had her father with me in the SL. I lost sight of her shortly after we left the resort and we didn't see them again until we pulled into the garage. (She's taken Skip Barber lessons...I obviously need to). :driving:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
A new wife doesn't cost so much, it's the severance package for the old one that is painful! You still have to pay nearly full freight without any benefits.

Kind of like the job bank in the US auto industry.

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
"If women didn't exist, all the money in the world would have no meaning."
Aristotle Onassis

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
:lol :cheers :lol :cheers :lol :cheers :lol

Blue GT

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2007
Washington State
Try this to stop the clunking

Try zip tying the springs to the top spring perch. This will stop the spring from releasing and slopping around. On the street/track Vipers and the race cars I have owned in the past this eliminated the clunk. Ceow Dan

Edson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 28, 2007
Santa Monica
Thanks Blue GT, I will try the zip ties this weekend. Im already starting to get used to the clunk. Race cars make race car noises:)

MR2Race

FGT The Velvet Hammer
Apr 6, 2006
Northville Mi.
up for an experiment?

Edson

Would you be up for an experiment?

I have a set of prototype Penske shocks that use the original FGT isolator on the upper end.

It would be fun to have you sample this set?
And compare the ride to your current set.

The prototype units are non- adjustable. I will have them valved like my normal T&A shocks.

We would install the same springs you have on your current shocks.

Could be fun?

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
shock clunk

Edson - zip tying the springs won't make a difference. Only at full extension are the rear springs unloaded & that won't occur unless your GT is in the air! As Alex is saying it is in the metal to metal contact from eliminating the OEM rubber isolator.

Ed

Team Jeff

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2007
Race cars make race car noises:)

Your feeling better already! :thumbsup

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Just out of curiosity.... what is actually causing the 'knock', metal to metal contact of what exactly? Is it within the shock assembly or is the GT being hit by a component bottoming out?

Team Jeff

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2007
Neilda, these dampers like most other performance suspension components use a hyme joint to connect to the component to the vehicles suspension mounting points. A hyme joint is really just a bearing (also referred to as a spherical bearing), and has very little or no vibration insulation characteristics and transmits all the NVH (noise vibration & harshness) to the chassis and ultimately to the occupants.

http://www.macmktg.com/pictures/rodends.jpg

Also, hymes are a wear item! The good thing is they will let you know when they need to be replaced by knocking louder and louder until you HAVE to replace them to keep your sanity! If EP still had his ride this would be the perfect mod for him! :cheers :thumbsup

Edson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 28, 2007
Santa Monica
MR2Race,

I did not install the shocks myself, Jack at muscle motors did the handy work, Im sure he would be glad to help swap out parts. What is the difference between the prototypes and the production models, (other than the mounts).