Passenger & Driver space in GT

tmctguer

GT Owner
Jan 11, 2010
dana point, CA
I just started looking for a Ford GT to purchase, but have not had the opportunity to look at one up close. so while at Barrett Jackson this week, i sat in two GT40 kit cars to check my fit inside the car.

both were right hand drive vehicles, so it was awkward climbing over the gear shift lever. but after getting in & settled, i felt like the driver's footwell was a bit cramped. i also got the same feeling on the passenger side.

so a few questions to Ford GT owners:

1). do GT's have a door "sill" that needs to be crawled over to get into the driver or passenger seat?

2). how much room is in the driver & passenger footwells?

i am in Dana Point, CA and saw a post that said that Huntington Beach Ford may have one for sale. so i may run up there to check it out for myself. but any guidance from owners would be appreciated.

thanks.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
The GT has a lot more room than the GT40 kit cars. I had my seat lowered for headroom, but leg room is not bad. Hope you get to try one out soon!

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
I did the same thing but could not even get in an SPF GT40. I'm 6'2 and fit just fine in a GT. Can't even compare the two in my opinion. That said there's not enough room for golf clubs :( No fat door sill to crawl over like the GT40 or Viper.

Last edited:

GTMikey

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2008
Lake Tahoe
i'm 6'6" 240lbs, Forum member Shadowman lowered my seat enough for me to fit comfortably. The SPF cars are not only cramped but I question the safety factor in a crash compared to a GT.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
There is NO comparison that can be made between the GT40 (+ kit cars) as compared to the Ford GT regarding interior room, foot space or ingress/egress.

mymach5

GT Owner
Nov 18, 2007
Melbourne, Florida
I didn't have to sit in one to buy it! I just knew!

Delexjb

GT Owner
May 27, 2006
Portland, Oregon
What is this about getting the front seat lowered? I am 6'4 and would like to make the car "fit" a little better. It did not stop me from buying the car, but it would be sweet to have it.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
FGT vs kit cars

I believe our GTs are 33% larger is all dimensions than the original & kit cars. The kit cars more closely follow the original while our GTs are recreations of the original. The looks & passion are the same with our GTs. I thought about a kit car (ERA) a long time ago & am so glad I chose the new car. There is really no comparison other than they share the same dad!

Ed

GTMikey

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2008
Lake Tahoe
What is this about getting the front seat lowered? I am 6'4 and would like to make the car "fit" a little better. It did not stop me from buying the car, but it would be sweet to have it.

Send "Shadowman" a message, he'll give you 2-3 inches more head room.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I'm so glad you added 'head room'. :biggrin

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
Actually the new GT is very close to 10% larger in all dimension than the orginlas. However since there are no fuel tanks in the door sills, like the originals, the interior is much roomier and no sills to cilimb/slide over to get into the cockpit.
As for safety I can tell you first hand that at least the CAV GT 40 and the SPF GT40 are extremely safe vehicles from a safety standard. Of coure if you hit something at 100mph + you will cause a lot of damage to the car and proably yourself. They are 2 different types of cars.

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
If you can make Cars and Coffee on Saturday, look for my red and white GT, give it a try and see if you fit. If you can't make Cars and coffee I usually stop by Monarch Beach afterward.

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
Having had both, There is very little comparison. I had a CAV GT40 replica and it was both a kit car and a replica. Loud, Noisy, uncomfortable, but FAST! The only thing I miss from it to the 2005 is the Bundle of Snakes exhaust. They just look so cool! The 2005 is such a great car that I find it very difficult to explain to people at times. It is beautiful, elegant, comfortable and just plain fast! I refer to it as a silent assasin. I wouldn't hesitate to do as many did for Rally IV and drive it thousands of miles. The only problem you will have is the lack of storage. One overnight bag in the front and everything else in the passenger seat. If you have a passenger this can at times be a little cramped.:rofl I have had several friends drive the car and no one up to 6' 5" has had a problem. Torso length and helment may make a difference. I have NEVER heard of anyone who bought a GT saying I wished I had bought a __________ instead.

Larry

tmctguer

GT Owner
Jan 11, 2010
dana point, CA
thanks for everyone's replies. i just got back from the Ford dealer in Huntington Beach. I was pleasantly surprised at how comfortable the car was inside the passenger compartment. i also got a good look at the entire vehicle (engine, undercarriage, front hood compartment) and was very impressed.

the original GT40's have been my favorite car of all time, and the Ford GT is definitely a fine representation of a modern version of the original car.

now for the soul searching about taking the plunge !

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
TAKE THE PLUNGE!!! You will not be sorry. :cheers

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
TAKE THE PLUNGE!!! You will not be sorry. :cheers

+1

tmctguer

GT Owner
Jan 11, 2010
dana point, CA
You folks are a TERRIBLE influence !:wink

Happy Feet

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 9, 2009
Pasadena, Ca
Go for it, buy it, do it, come on you no you want it, just pull the trigger, you only live once! Well in my case this is my fouth life, but thats other story!

AZSTAD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 4, 2008
Arizona
Send "Shadowman" a message, he'll give you 2-3 inches more head room.

This makes a hell of a difference guys! My '05 GT I bought about 6 months ago had the seat modification done. It is unnoticeable when looking at it, unless you directly and immediately compare it to the passenger side. You do lose a little bit of support under your legs. I'm 6' and it provides a way, way more visibility when driving now. And jumping from my '05 to my stock '06 made the '06 seem like I was riding in a truck.

My advice - if you're 6' or over, strongly consider it. It might save your scalp one day too!

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Plenty of footwell space too.

No comparison, as you've heard with the GT40, space wise.

IMG_4275copy.jpg