Parking the FGT...a mild rant

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
There IS NO "trunk" in which to house the lil' bugger, or I would have!

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
Love the trunk monkey.

Listen, it is a car and yes we should just get out and enjoy it. To me the parking problem is a part of the bigger problem that drives me nuts nowadays. Lack of manners and common courtesy among people. Now before you think "here goes a good old days rant" :eek:ld:, I am only in my late thirties and I see a noticable difference in just the last ten years in how people act towards each other. Way too many :mad people and very little respect for others. I may be a bit too optimistic for my own good, but every day I am vertical is a great day.

That said to quote my man Vincent Vega "What is more chickens$#@ than f*@^& with a man's automobile.....It's just against the rules."

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
GT Parking Fear

Geeeeez - GT-less Empty Pockets calling me Nutz.

For "leaving" my GT in an extremely safe parking spot, that he specially picked. out. So we could have a nice lunch, which we did. And I did not once get up from a nice meal to check on the GT. What's wrong with that picture?

The enjoyment I get driving the GT, anywhere, anytime, far out weighs the "fear" of having something happen to it.

Use due care and a lot of caution when out and about. But I choose not to stress out over a rock chip or two. Pretty easy to get those repaired once in a while.

As has been said before, each of us GT owners enjoy our gals in our own way

My choice is to get it out of the garage and Drive it. .

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
Hell last year at Newport I forgot my phone charger...happens about 2 times a year to me.

So ItsOnlyMoney and I took MY car down to the mall and got a new one at Circuit. Then popped over the Cheescake to grab lunch and back out to the car. I actually parked with no one next to me at the time but did put the passenger side closer to the line than the driver. Came out the car was fine and I just has to hold my breath for a few seconds while I tried to sqeeze my fat ass through the door. And off we went.

Most people will respect the car and not screw with it..that said I don't try to take it somewhere and leave it..but again the valets usually will let you take 2 nice spots up front for a good tip

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
FYI: The "valve stem" is the mechanism that holds the air in the tire.

very funny:lol I know what a valve stem is, when I posted this the other comments(about taking out the valve stem) werent online yet must have been post out of timeline, I dont see how taking the air out is going to pervent someone opening a door into your car.

HOGDEALER

GT Owner
Nov 19, 2005
Coos Bay, Oregon
Buy a Ferrari for the grocery getter - Keep the FGT for twisty bits:thumbsup

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
very funny:lol I know what a valve stem is, when I posted this the other comments(about taking out the valve stem) werent online yet must have been post out of timeline, I dont see how taking the air out is going to pervent someone opening a door into your car.

Might not prevent it, but it will give them something to think about while they wait for AAA :wink

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
every day I am vertical is a great day.

Every night I am horizontal is a great night. :wink :biggrin

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Every night I am horizontal is a great night. :wink :biggrin

Too true, I stand corrected.:devil :club

Midengine-man

GT Owner
Apr 1, 2007
Oh Dear.. how many negative and gloomy thoughts....

It's a car. Get over it. The 1st ding/scratch is the one that hurts the most. The ones that follow add caracther to the car.

Do you expect to see a 288 GTO without a ding?

Mid engine man... so you drive it only when/where you can do 100 plus uh? You know that a tiny stone at 100+ will make a big chip on your hood or can brake your headlamps?

I suppose you track it most of the time as 100mph are illegal on most roads in the US. Well the racetrack is more dangerous than a parking lot to the paint...

If there is no "safe" spot in a public parking lot I usually try and find another lot but never use the handicapped reserved spots.... it's not a big deal if I need to walk 400 yards.

All I am saying is that there are different reasons we all bought this car. Some of us bought it to drive it everywhere, some to track it, some to use only in special occasions where they can get 2 spaces arranged in advance, some of us to look at when it sits in the garage...

I think all of them are perfectly reasonable.

I understand the frustrations of the original starter of the thread. But I smile and think it's another story of me and the FORD GT I can tell my grandkids in 40yr time.

Have a great long weekend ya'll :cheers

911, you are right about paint chips on the track. I only take my Formula Continental on the track and it has plenty of chips.

And yes I do only take the GT where it can do 100. There are ways that this can be done, (it only takes a few seconds). You need little or no traffic, and no deer! :biggrin

I don't really agree that "it's just a car" We will never be able to buy new Ford GT's again. But, to each his own!!!!! :thumbsup

BTW - I don't expect to see any chips on a 288 GTO,,,,,,,,,,,unless it's been on the Track!!

Last edited: