Panel alignment

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
Great thread in terms of confirming the amount of small (but annoying) issues with these cars. Here's a picture of the paint flaw I found on the back side of the front wheel well. It's a very subtle flaw, and I'm actually amazed I was able to capture it in a photo (it did take some creative lighting and camera positioning).

Bottom line -- I'm not sure if I should fix it or not. Santa Monica Ford has agreed to fix it for me, and I know those guys well enough to trust their body shop. But at the same time I wonder if I should risk (even with how much I trust them) having the "repair" end up being more noticeable than the flaw. Originally I absolutely planned on having it fixed...but now I'm not so sure...

Attachments

• GT Paint Flaw 3.jpg
    GT Paint Flaw 3.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 132

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
how big is the area? somehow I can't pciture where this is in realtion to the car...

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
ENZO BTR said:
Great thread in terms of confirming the amount of small (but annoying) issues with these cars. Here's a picture of the paint flaw I found on the back side of the front wheel well. It's a very subtle flaw, and I'm actually amazed I was able to capture it in a photo (it did take some creative lighting and camera positioning).

Bottom line -- I'm not sure if I should fix it or not. Santa Monica Ford has agreed to fix it for me, and I know those guys well enough to trust their body shop. But at the same time I wonder if I should risk (even with how much I trust them) having the "repair" end up being more noticeable than the flaw. Originally I absolutely planned on having it fixed...but now I'm not so sure...

I am a bit "anal" as the wife calls it and have done this before. Home, cars, boat, plane etc. I am always without exception sorry. :frown

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
LEMANSZ said:
how big is the area? somehow I can't pciture where this is in realtion to the car...

The area is just ahead of the front, driver's side wheel well, and just below the seam that separates the upper and lower front fender (the seam is what you're seeing in the upper part of that photo). I would compare the size of the affected area to a ping-pong ball. Problem is, it's on both lower front fenders in the exact same place (it's a litte smaller on the passenger side). Also, when I took it to SM Ford to have them see it their body man found a couple areas on the engine cover with the same problem. These flaw were even smaller (about pea sized) and, just like the other areas, always near a major seam/edge of a body panel (meaning they are not easy to see under most conditions because it's not like they appear in the middle of some otherwise clean, flat area -- like, say, in the middle of the door or roof).

I don't know if I would have ever noticed the flaws on the engine cover, and I only noticed the flaws on the front fender after having the car two months, and only then while drying the car off after washing it.

I think I'm leaning more toward not messing with them.

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
I assume your beauty is the midnight blue? personally, I would live with it. They would have to re-paint a large section to get the paint it to blend...then you have to deal with overspray ect., not to mention tying her up for at least a week...could it be buffed out?

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
The flaws are under the clearcoat (it's very weird, because while the texture looks rough, when you run your hand over it the surface is totally smooth...I think because it's under the clearcoat). And because they are under the clearcoat I doubt buffing or rubbing would do any good. I've also considered the "down time" while it's being fixed, and that, plus the potential for making it worse, is what's really holding me back.

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
BTW SACC meeting 0900 Sunday PCH and Sunset..can you make it? Lots o cars and a short run trhu Malibu

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
Sounds like fun. I will definitely try to make it. The car is clean and full of gas so it's just a matter of pulling the cover and driving down there.

It's 9 a.m. at PCH and Sunset. Do they meet in Gladstones' parking lot or maybe in the grocery store lot?

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
ENZO BTR said:
The flaws are under the clearcoat (it's very weird, because while the texture looks rough, when you run your hand over it the surface is totally smooth...I think because it's under the clearcoat). And because they are under the clearcoat I doubt buffing or rubbing would do any good. I've also considered the "down time" while it's being fixed, and that, plus the potential for making it worse, is what's really holding me back.

Ask the dealer to get new pre-painted panels from the factory. That would probably be the best paint match available.

Dave

Last edited:

oskie100

GT Owner
Nov 23, 2005
Simi Valley, California
ENZO BTR / LEMANSZ Ill be there in either my Shelby Series 1 or a 05 gt whte with blue stripe, like to meet you guys, Also Enzo we are supposed to meet at the 76 station on the corner! Hope to see you there!!!

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
If my beast is here...black/silver stripe..see ya there

biffom

GT Owner
Oct 9, 2005
Venice, CA
Delicate or not - I'm not going to be able to pass this one up. See you there!

StuM

GT Owner
Dec 10, 2005
SoCal
Flaws

Enzo, Can't quit tell from the photo, but appears to be from moisture on body/primer at time of painting. I've had that on other cars. I agree with others here, if you have to go looking for it you should consider just leaving it alone. Like some others, when I go trying to fix a very small problem I almost always end up with a much larger mess to correct! My luck sucks!
Try a bit of blue color wax. It sometimes does a better job of filling/hiding small imperfections on darker colors.