painting glass

somelee

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 9, 2007
New York & SoCal
I've had a fair amount of paint experience but I'm not sure about this one....and I'm hoping there might be an expert here.
I've got an amber side running light (old school glass one) that I want to turn blue. Is there a translucent spray paint I could use on it that would stick and give the appearance of blue glass? I guess heat might be an issue as well since it will be backlit. Also not sure if sanding the glass to make the paint stick would look very good. I would also imagine that if I painted blue over amber that I'd get green....which would be a problem...hmmm...I've never tried to paint glass before.
Anyone have any thoughts?
sorry this isn't specifically GT related.....well maybe it is slightly :wink

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I've had a fair amount of paint experience but I'm not sure about this one....and I'm hoping there might be an expert here.
I've got an amber side running light (old school glass one) that I want to turn blue. Is there a translucent spray paint I could use on it that would stick and give the appearance of blue glass? I guess heat might be an issue as well since it will be backlit. Also not sure if sanding the glass to make the paint stick would look very good. I would also imagine that if I painted blue over amber that I'd get green....which would be a problem...hmmm...I've never tried to paint glass before.
Anyone have any thoughts?
sorry this isn't specifically GT related.....well maybe it is slightly :wink

Lee,
see this post.. I used this translucent paint.. It may do the trick
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11107&highlight=black+wheels+accents :thumbsup

somelee

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 9, 2007
New York & SoCal
thanks SC I remember that post.....guess I'll try it and see what happens. How is that stuff holding up since you painted it?

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
thanks SC I remember that post.....guess I'll try it and see what happens. How is that stuff holding up since you painted it?

I've used this paint on numerous GT parts, SS tubing, brushed alum. and the wheel hub covers. The other items are in the engine bay. It is holding up well under the heat. I have never tried it on plastic but the little hub covers are plastic or clear coated and it bonded well..

H

HHGT

Hey Lee, why not use tinted tape.

Sam

somelee

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 9, 2007
New York & SoCal
Hey Lee, why not use tinted tape.

Sam

it's not a completely smooth surface so I don't think it would work with all the nooks and cranny's