Paint chip!!!!

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
OMG! It finally happend. Washing the car Saturday, humming along, whistling while I was working and BOOM! THERE IT IS!. I see it. At first there was a feeling of panic, then disbelief then that sick churning feeling in the pit of my stomach. Weird thing it was on the left upper rear fender. The size of 1/4 of a chocolate sprinkle. No kidding. Not big by chip standards but it to me it looked like a brain tumor. :willy

I immediately grabbed the Bat Phone and called my paint guy/body guy. I drove over and the diagnosis was that it was in the clear only. Treatment to be administered tomorrow morning 7 am. Still didn't sleep well last night trying to figure out where it happened, why it happened and finally kicking myself for driving it on Friday the 13th. :ack

My wife says "Its just a car. Get over it. Drive it and enjoy it".

Am I the only one that doesn't look at these cars as just "a car" but something truly special.

So maybe I over reacted just a wee bit but just wanted to know am I the only one who felt the same way about the "first stone chip"??????

Please tell me I'm not alone. :willy

Time to clear bra the rear of the car too!!!!

Last edited:

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Yeah, you're the only one here who thinks his car is special.:eek

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
OMG! It finally happend. Washing the car Saturday, humming along, whistling while I was working and BOOM! THERE IT IS!. I see it. At first there was a feeling of panic, then disbelief then that sick churning feeling in the pit of my stomach. Weird thing it was on the left upper rear fender. The size of 1/4 of a chocolate sprinkle. No kidding. Not big by chip standards but it to me it looked like a brain tumor. :willy

I immediately grabbed the Bat Phone and called my paint guy/body guy. I drove over and the diagnosis was that it was in the clear only. Treatment to be administered tomorrow morning 7 am. Still didn't sleep well last night trying to figure out where it happened, why it happened and finally kicking myself for driving it on Friday the 13th. :ack

My wife says "Its just a car. Get over it. Drive it and enjoy it".

Am I the only one that doesn't look at these cars as just "a car" but something truly special.

So maybe I over reacted just a wee bit but just wanted to know am I the only one who felt the same way about the "first stone chip"??????

Please tell me I'm not alone. :willy

Time to clear bra the rear of the car too!!!!

I agree with the wife. Easy repair.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
If you drive it, small chips are gonna happen. You could always join POCKETS club. You know, the one where you park it in the garage, never let anyone see it and just TELL everyone that you own a Ford GT. You would also have time to make like 5000 posts! :rofl

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
I had nothing to do with it.

Not big by chip standards........

Few things are.

.....first stone chip......

A cruel and unusual form of initial punishment, even in biblical times.

Chip

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Speed lingerie color matched front end mask and mirror masks. Best (near) gee wiz I ever spent.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
stone chips are inevitable if you drive the car, I have lots of them in the front of my car, my perspective is that it give the car a nice weathered look, like it has been used as for its intended purpose.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
If you drive it, small chips are gonna happen. You could always join POCKETS club. You know, the one where you park it in the garage, never let anyone see it and just TELL everyone that you own a Ford GT. You would also have time to make like 5000 posts! :rofl

The above took only 2 more posts to show up than I 'figgered' it would...:tap::tap::tap: :sleep:

Contrary to whut all deeze HARD CORE types tells yuh, Waxer - YEW AIN'T ALONE IN YER VIEW BY A LONG SHOT! :lol

And your particular experience EXEMPLIFIES what I've repeatedly said regarding bras and 3M film, etc. Namely: unless you can cover EVERY SQ. IN. OF THE CAR with all this stuff, you're wasting your time & money doin' it, 'cause Murphy's Law (#123 if you wanna go check) specifically states if there's ANY exposed paint at ALL for a rock to hit - a rock WILL hit it.

Pockets the Prophet

Mark06GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Yeah, you're the only one here who thinks his car is special.:eek

Few things are.

A cruel and unusual form of initial punishment, even in biblical times.

Chip

Rapier wits. I love this place.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
i print out 3X5 ft satelite map of weather patterns and consult Phd's before drives

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
i print out 3X5 ft satelite map of weather patterns and consult Phd's before drives

MY KINDA GUY!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup :cheers

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Wheeeeew.... I thought I had a bad case of FGT OCD :rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
I used to worry about stuff like that but it would just raise my blood pressure. I curbed one of the wheels pretty bad the other day and had to try hard not to get angry at myself.

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
I drive it, I enjoy it, and I know that chip is lurking out there.....but it will still feel like a gut punch when it happens. :lol Lets all :beer2: to avoiding that chip!!!

M C B

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 13, 2007
Motor City
Function over form

This is a motor vehicle.
With the intended purpose of being driven.
In the case of the Ford GT, to be driven hard.
Please expect the inevitable witness marks, much like the wrinkles of laughter in a well-worn face.

Accept it, and keep going.

It is a disservice to those of us that spend our lives putting these pieces of art together that they not be utilized to their full potential.

Have you got a chip in the paint? Good. I hope you had a fun time getting it!

:thumbsup

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
has anyone tried quixx?

or Langka?

Last edited:

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I've used Langka and have been impressed with the results.

The filled chip looks 'dull' rather than having the topcoat shine, but better than a chip. Also, of course, there's no 'blob'.

I've not used Langka on the GT, but have done on Lambo and Aston.

Edit: I do understand the whole 'drive it, don't worry' philosophy, however a special car is a special car - and the GT is certainly that. I have chips on Range Rovers and Subarus, but the GT is a car that relishes looking in mint condition, it's not a daily mule, it's a car show winner and a track star. So I like to keep mine looking good - and I drive it too! :) A big ugly stone chip needs treatment, lots of little pepper marks probably do not.

Last edited:
H

HHGT

With respect to Langka, you can use industrial grade thinner, a plastic wafer and a nylon rag to accomplish the same thing. Sorry Nielda, I overpaid as well. I dont know about Quixx, but I can tell you that if the chip is in the primer, nothing is going to work. One of my good friends here on the GT forum had a chunk of paint removed by a careless wife and he ended up taking it to a friend who owns a high end body shop. The only sensible way to get a chip fixed is to apply touch up paint repeatedly (with cure time in between) until the new surface is higher than the original paint - they use a paint density meter for that! Once that is accomplished and the paint is fully cured, then you wet sand the surface (2000 grit or so). Finally, polish, seal and wax.

This is also know as make up for blemished women!:biggrin

Last edited:

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
has anyone tried quixx?

or Langka?

I used Quixx on some acid stains caused by bird droppings. Nothing else would remove it and thirty seconds with the Quixx process and you would never know it was there.

I don't think it would help a deep chip though.

agentf1

Oct 21, 2005
The above took only 2 more posts to show up than I 'figgered' it would...:tap::tap::tap: :sleep:

Contrary to whut all deeze HARD CORE types tells yuh, Waxer - YEW AIN'T ALONE IN YER VIEW BY A LONG SHOT! :lol

And your particular experience EXEMPLIFIES what I've repeatedly said regarding bras and 3M film, etc. Namely: unless you can cover EVERY SQ. IN. OF THE CAR with all this stuff, you're wasting your time & money doin' it, 'cause Murphy's Law (#123 if you wanna go check) specifically states if there's ANY exposed paint at ALL for a rock to hit - a rock WILL hit it.

Pockets the Prophet

Well believe it or not YOU CAN cover the entire car in 3M film. I was just at my installers house and he was actually doing an entire Trans Am with 3M film. Craziest thing I have ever saw. He was actually making templates and cutting custom pieces to cover THE ENTIRE car. He did not miss 1 square inch of paint. Even where you can't see and there is no way it could ever get chipped it was covered. The craftmanship of the custom pieces was incredible. If you ever want the best installer this guy was it.

I feel your pain about the chip and I am as anal as the next guy but you HAVE to drive them, otherwise what fun are they.