Owner Review: GT vs. Nissan GTR (photos)

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Instead I settled for a nicely optioned S550, (1) year old with 4000 miles. I think I stole it.. I paid $56K and it's a great car.

Now to answer the other other question regarding British or German car depreciation, I think they are equally ridiculous, but Bavarian cars are the worst :biggrin.

I think MB depreciate as fast, or faster then BMWs given what you got the s550 for.

H

HHGT

I think MB depreciate as fast, or faster then BMWs given what you got the s550 for.

The poor sucker before me took a nearly 45% depreciation. If I keep the car for 5 years and then sell it, the pain is acceptable. For what it's worth, the 7 series resale is the worst I've seen in years. If you want data to support it, I can email. My neighbor leased his 7 series in 2006 for 3 years. After 18 months, he had enough, exercised out of the lease early, took a bath on it and bought an MB - he has sworn off Beemers for life.

Here is a sampling of west coast 2007 7 series resale...
08/19/09 BAY CITI Lease $42,750 22,993 Above JET BLAC 8G A Yes
08/19/09 BAY CITI Lease $42,000 33,172 Above MICHIGAN 8G A Yes
08/19/09 BAY CITI Lease $42,000 20,724 Above JET BLAC 8G A Yes
08/19/09 BAY CITI Lease $41,500 19,851 Above KALAHARI 8G A Yes
08/19/09 BAY CITI Lease $41,000 19,750 Avg TITANIUM 8G A Yes
08/19/09 BAY CITI Lease $37,000 43,343 Avg TITANIUM 8G A Yes
08/27/09 RIVRSIDE Lease $41,500 20,089 Above ALPINE W 8G A Yes
08/27/09 RIVRSIDE Lease $41,500 19,674 Above JETBLACK 8G A Yes
08/27/09 RIVRSIDE Factory $40,500 15,995 Avg TITANIUM 8G A Yes
08/27/09 RIVRSIDE Lease $37,500 37,886 Avg JET BLAC 8G A Yes
09/04/09 NEVADA Lease $43,750 21,444 Above TITANSLV 8G A Yes
09/04/09 NEVADA Lease $37,000 40,878 Avg TITANGRY 8G A Yes

I still like the Z8s:biggrin

Last edited:

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
They all depreciate pretty badly for my taste. I like to buy low mileage 1-2 year old cars if I can find nicely tended to ones.

H

HHGT

They all depreciate pretty badly for my taste. I like to buy low mileage 1-2 year old cars if I can find nicely tended to ones.

Agreed :thumbsup:thumbsup Precisely what I do and in this case did...

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007

I bought a 2003 sl55 three years ago was a 130k dollar car new that I paid 75K for, I thought it was the deal of the century, it had 30K miles on it, now has about 60K miles, have you seen what 03 sl55 are going for now, about $30k, in 6 years a 120k car is worth 30K:eek

I would never buy another MB I still have this sl55 that I cant sell, now it has depreciated twice:biggrin and on top of that, everytime I tried to drive it half as hard as the M5, something would break, so I stoped driving it all together:thumbsdow

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
I had a similar experience with an 2001 S55AMG, 120k new. I bought it with 30k miles on it for $50k as a three year old. I had the car for just over two more years. Constant problems with seat electronics, air ride system was rebuilt three times, two weeks to drive and two weeks in the shop with another 3k bill almost every month. I finally sold it for 17k with 50k miles on it and was damn glad to get that.

I will NEVER buy another mercedes. MY '85 Rolls cost way less to maintain and is way more reliable.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
In general I think the electronics on German luxury cars suck! They are feature laden, but poorly designed, have a crummy user interface and reliability problems. That equal mucho depreciation after the warranty expires.

H

HHGT

Don't forget guys that MB was Chrysler at the time.

luxgt

GT Owner
Jun 21, 2009
luxemburg europe
cyclenirvana,

I posted that url already. Indeed it is an amazing movie . A japaneese guy that prefers a Ford gt above a Nissan GT-r. That means something! Then in the movie he proves scientifically that the ford is faster. What further proof do you need?

So cut the crap the GT is the best, end of story.

Aug 25, 2006
A very enjoyable read; thank you

Shadowman

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
An excellent review, and, like the previous posts, beautifully written.

I think the GT is becoming harder to pigeon-hole, when it first appeared it was simply 'the fastest' (pretty much), but the experience of ownership lends it a different appeal. And that's really quite hard to define.

Like many here, I've had some fast cars over the years, from the Murcielago through to the Vanquish (for example), but found it very difficult to settle with a car that was 'me'. The GT does that, it's the epitome of what I want a supercar to be - rare, beautiful, rapid, timeless... perhaps it's that final element that really sets it apart.

Whilst there will be 'better' cars powered by increasingly powerful computer technology, they'll handle better, go faster etc, they just won't posses the Mojo that the GT has.

The GT harks to an earlier more visceral motoring era - the one where the Yanks came over and whipped the Italians on their playground, the era of motoring gentlemen, the era where form and design met in an impossibly beautiful design....

I could go on!! :lol

Great review, I really do enjoy your posts..

Neilda's eloquent comments reflect not only those of a knowledgeable and proper British Gentleman but also perfectly reflect my feelings about the FGT.

With no disrespect for Mitty, whose reviews set the standard for excellence, IMO any car can be compared to the FGT, but no car can compare to the FGT. :cheers

Last edited:

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
I just bought a Nissan for my DD, but decided on a 370z with the sport package. Prettier than the GTR at half the cost. Fun to drive too and seemingly reliable.

It's more traditional than the GTR... Reminds me of the 280z I had in school...,

Last edited:

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
Neilda's eloquent comments reflect not only those of a knowledgeable and proper British Gentleman but also perfectly reflect my feelings about the FGT.

With no disrespect for Mitty, whose reviews set the standard for excellence, IMO any car can be compared to the FGT, but no car can compare to the FGT. :cheers
It's Sat evening an hour before dusk and you feel like being looked at. You can chose any car ever made, to go make a lap around your favorite cruise spot and make a splash. I'm a homer for sure but there is no other car that elicits the same response as the GT. People gawk... They hang out of their car... They take pictures... Wives stare and husbands get mad whilst deep down inside they are jealous with envy. The best is the kids. They have no pretense. If you ever wonder whether you are driving the best looking car of all time, drive by a grade school. They know and are not afraid to tell you. I appreciate all performance cars including the GTR. I'd make one my daily driver. I'd drive it to the grocery store in the rain and park it as close as could and not even care. Look at my GT wrong and we might have a problem :biggrin

H

HHGT

I just bought a Nissan for my DD, but decided on a 370z with the sport package. Prettier than the GTR at half the cost. Fun to drive too and seemingly reliable.

It's more traditional than the GTR... Reminds me of the 280z I had in school...,

I agree with the 370Z choice completely. A great car for the money and pleasant to look at. :thumbsup:thumbsup

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Look at my GT wrong and we might have a problem :biggrin

In my case, "might" would not be the operative word...:bang

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I think a large majority of todays exotics will become orphans...

Top Gear had a show last night testing 3 Italian exotics priced < GBP 10,000

-Maserati Merak SS
-Lambo Uracco
-F 308 GT4

These were the 1970s version of the 2+ seater, luxo-mid-engine exotic with absurd technology like the Maser's citroen derived engine, hydraulic options, and Lambo mickey mouse electrics, Dino/Fiat engine. Most dyno'd at 50% of factory spec bhp.

In my opinion many of todays Aston DBs, Masers, F 3,4 series cars will be in this boat. The electonics/ecu's will self destruct, the maintenance will be prohibitive; the flappy paddles will become extinct, and the pretensious styling will be viewed as ugly.

The technology of the 70s cars is not rocket science, but when diluted with bad styling, extra seats, and poor quality...they became extinct.

Only the range topping super-exotics will retain value.

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
I respect the GTR for its performance abilities. It looks like a 370Z on steroids to me. The typical sterile japanese look with all the visceril appeal of an electric blender.

I have a Porsche Carrera 4S with PDK and while I'm sure the GTR has a performance advantage in power over the Porsche...don't take this the wrong way...the Porsche is still a Porsche. I can't see spending Porsche Carrera money for a Nissan no matter how fast it is. That thought is just a disconnect with me.

There are kids out there with Subaru STi's with mods that will outrun a Carrera 4S and give a GTR a run for the money. That wouldn't make me pick the Subaru. I'd rather own the Porsche every day all day.

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
I respect the GTR for its performance abilities. It looks like a 370Z on steroids to me. The typical sterile japanese look with all the visceril appeal of an electric blender.

I have a Porsche Carrera 4S with PDK and while I'm sure the GTR has a performance advantage in power over the Porsche...don't take this the wrong way...the Porsche is still a Porsche. I can't see spending Porsche Carrera money for a Nissan no matter how fast it is. That thought is just a disconnect with me.

There are kids out there with Subaru STi's with mods that will outrun a Carrera 4S and give a GTR a run for the money. That wouldn't make me pick the Subaru. I'd rather own the Porsche every day all day.

Unfortunately, I have heard some people (ferrarichat comes to mind) say the same thing about our Ford GT...it's just a "Ford". At the end of the day, a Ferrari is still a Ferrari. I guess I don't care. If a car company makes an excellent product, regardless of who they are, I will strongly consider it. The GT-R is quite an extraordinary automobile...I think Nissan has hit a bullseye with this car. It's not for me, but I can understand why someone would like it.

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
Well the difference is Ford made automotive history with the GT. The FGT/GT40 are automotive icons that hold a special place in the automotive world and history. Nissan has no car comprable nor did they ever have such a car.

The original GT/GT40 was a ford too but as a car its stands in a special place in history and the automotive world. The Ford GT/GT40 are automotive American heros. The GTR does not hold such status.

As for the Ferrari guys saying the FGT is just a "Ford". It doesn't work. Sorry. Because of the GTs special status in history and the automotive pantheoon its not just a Ford its "The Ford GT" just as the original was the "Ford GT40"

Further, while the Ferrari "aristocrats" refer to the Ford GT as just a "Ford" I would point out to them that except for the classics and the Enzo the only way most Ferrari's have been overtaking Ford GTs is in the rate of depreciation. They can put that in their wine and suck on it. :cheers

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Well the difference is Ford made automotive history with the GT. The FGT/GT40 are automotive icons that hold a special place in the automotive world and history. Nissan has no car comprable nor did they ever have such a car.

The original GT/GT40 was a ford too but as a car its stands in a special place in history and the automotive world. The Ford GT/GT40 are automotive American heros. The GTR does not hold such status.

As for the Ferrari guys saying the FGT is just a "Ford". It doesn't work. Sorry. Because of the GTs special status in history and the automotive pantheoon its not just a Ford its "The Ford GT" just as the original was the "Ford GT40"

Further, while the Ferrari "aristocrats" refer to the Ford GT as just a "Ford" I would point out to them that except for the classics and the Enzo the only way most Ferrari's have been overtaking Ford GTs is in the rate of depreciation. They can put that in their wine and suck on it. :cheers

tell us how you really feel about ferrari owners:biggrin