Overflow during fillup

Black 907

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 9, 2006
Had this happen once before. I never have difficulty with fill up..although sometimes tough to remove nozzle smoothly...but my question.. is there a solution that will dilute the gas that has travelled down the drain holes. Plugged up the gas fill hole and carefully have been running only water which helped but not completely...I guess this happens due to the design of the tank right? Any suggestions from our brothen?

Aug 25, 2006
I read this twice and I am still not sure what you are asking

Please word it differently and I will take a go at it

Takes care

Shadowman

Pete S.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
MA
I'll guess that when the limit of fuel was met the excess went over the fill lip over the cap lip onto the painted surface around the cap; the over fill that I have run into ends up around the right front tire but have yet to reach the painted parts.

Plugging up the gas hole is being done to clean around the cap with the fuel door open to avoid pouring water into the gas tank.

Well, that's my take on the read.

Pete S.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
It should evaporate in 24-48 hrs; driving will help as well as leaving hood up at park.

As a percaution, always monitor your tank capacity/fill-up gallons.

For example; if on EMPTY with gas guage Red light on, I rarely get over 14 gallons on fill up (ie, 3.2 gallons of reserve). Think tank takes 17.2 Gallons.

I watch the pump meter, and listen to flow at nozzle, and if the nozzle trigger clicks-back, I stop. Never top-off.

Also, avoid nozzle with that collapsible plastic/rubber grommet end attachment. It reduces nozzle inward travel, produces backwash/bubbles and off-sets seating into filler tube.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I'll guess that when the limit of fuel was met the excess went over the fill lip over the cap lip onto the painted surface around the cap; the over fill that I have run into ends up around the right front tire but have yet to reach the painted parts.

Plugging up the gas hole is being done to clean around the cap with the fuel door open to avoid pouring water into the gas tank.

Well, that's my take on the read.

Pete S.

Wow, your really good at this. When I first read it I couldn't really figure out what he was talking about. I think you nailed it! :thumbsup

John

Black 907

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 9, 2006
Sorry I thought I explained it properly. However, you guys figured it out anyway and answered my concerns and a big thanks as always..