Overdue Shout-out to Torrie - He's the man!!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
As many of you are aware, we have been doing several TT installs and upgrades over the past few months - and with some great results. Much of the credit for these results need to go properly to Jason for a very fine TT package and an incredible, out-of-the-box tune, and to Torrie who has helped us a lot as we have approached and used additional modifications for even higher boost levels.

Jason's out of the box TT tune is nothing short of incredible. Most of you read of Skyrex's accomplishments at the mile more than a year ago with 20+ runs over 200MPH. Apollo and AlohaGT also ran passes at the Texas mile with great results using Jason's tune. EXTREMELY impressive.

Lately we have been increasing the boost levels of some of these cars and have added the Kenne Belle Boost-a-Pump system for extra fuel capacity at the injectors. In order to tune for the additional mods, we have been working with Torrie on custom tunes. Mind you, we had very high expectations as we were coming from tunes that worked perfectly for us - but we wanted to exploit the additional mods. These tunes from Torrie have every been every bit as remarkable - safe, strong, and reliable as Jason's supplied tune. The really cool part is that Torrie has been just super to deal with. We have to schedule the availability of the car, the dyno shop, and then typically last, we call Torrie and see if the exact time that we have chosen will work for him. He has never turned us down!!

Just one example of his experience and professionalism was visible last weekend when we were testing a TT on the dyno. Working with Torrie over the internet, we set up his custom engine parameter capture program and datalogged the car throughout the dyno pull. During the pull we are observing the car and A/F ratio to keep the car safe. As soon as we do a pull, we email the dyno log (hp, tq, boost pressure, and a/f's) as well as the engine parameter capture over to Torrie. Torrie looks over the files and results and makes the modifications - just as he would if he were at the dyno. We only introduce the latency of emailing tunes back and forth. So, last Saturday, we run a newly configured TT up to 11 psi and 6000 rpm and everything tests fine. Torrie gives us the green light to command the car (via the in-car adjustable boost controller) up to 20 psi. We do this and do the run - all the while watching for good a/f's during the pull. The pull goes well with good a/f's and (850HP at 6,000 RPM) which is right on the curves for Apollo's well-running TT. Instead of emailing us back an improved file and letting us go up to our desired 24psi (1,000 RWHP) Torrie calls me and asks what the heck is going on with fuel pressures. It seems that from ~4500RPM to 6,000RPM the rail pressure is rapidly going down which is something that we don't want to see. In fact, you'd like to see FP going up with boost pressure to make the injectors appear larger. Normally, Torrie would like to see 59 psi. With this car we are at 39psi. Now, with all of our safeguards in place, we likely would not have let anything happen to the car but clearly there was no need to do another run until we could track and fix this problem.

The point of this is that the experience and professionalism of Torrie with respect to the tuning of GTs, he is a king. I count on and trust him a lot. The icing on the cake is that he is always so easy to work with and so very accomodating to our weird, West Coast tuning times. If you need a tune for your a GT he is definitely the GO-TO guy!!

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Nice post Kendall.

One question why are you logging fuel rail pressure instead of the delta pressure across the fuel rails. Both work, but the later saves you the subtraction of the boost pressure?

davisp

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 18, 2006
New Jersey
3.3 Whipple tune ?

Does Torrie offer a tune for the 3.3L Whipple? PD

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Does Torrie offer a tune for the 3.3L Whipple? PD

Yes indeed I do.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Clinton I pay attention to "PRES_DROP_F_INJ".

The core reason I begin to force this upward is to make the injectors "larger" now that we have an increased pump voltage capacity with the BAP in place. Once you get into the manifold pressure range that Terry is in and where Chip is going its needed. I figured this all out years ago on my own car. Plus its completely scalable against #_Mass so you will always hit the target of 39 and it won't increase to 55 until it hits high boost.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I have absolutely no idea what anything you said means, but I'm glad you are out there for help as needed.
Thanks !

The core reason I begin to force this upward is to make the injectors "larger" now that we have an increased pump voltage capacity with the BAP in place. Once you get into the manifold pressure range that Terry is in and where Chip is going its needed. I figured this all out years ago on my own car. Plus its completely scalable against #_Mass so you will always hit the target of 39 and it won't increase to 55 until it hits high boost.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005

I think I got what Kendall meant. I thought I was logging absolute rail pressure not PRES_DROP_F_INJ". But the key thing is Kendall didn't' see the fuel pressure rise as expected due to the changes you made to the tune given air mass that was flowing.

I take it you modded this table so that the higher pressure is only active in a few high flow cells. Torrie, smart move on your part, shows expertise on tuning these cars. :thumbsup

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_02 May. 18 16.47.jpg
    ScreenHunter_02 May. 18 16.47.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
Let me also be one to praise the work of Torrie.
I bought a 3,4 Whipple some time ago, and Torrie sorted me out with a great tune via email - and my car put down 750HP and ran like a dream.

Always helpfull and friendly... :thumbsup

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Precisely Clinton !

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Thanks again everyone in here giving me the thumbs up.

I have to tell you that given the chance to calibrate a GT of any mod level has to the be the highlight of my day/week/year.
Last Saturday was an interesting one to begin I was off site in Panama City Beach FL working an event for the Viper Truck group Wednesday thru Sunday. I lock in Saturday for Kendall when I was in the middle of dynoing 10 trucks on Thursday of last week. All I knew was that no matter what I was going to make time to work thru this. Unfortunately after run one I knew we were done but we'll get past that and get the project finished here shortly.

I sure don't need to be asked twice to get involved in any GT tuning project !!!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
And for inquiring minds - like for sure, Clinton's... I'll reveal the rest of the story as we know it today and hopefully to be verified soon. On this car, I am thinking it was our error that brought about the low fuel pressure. We have installed several BAP's now and we have used the same ground point and ASSumed this ground point was as good on all cars. As it turns out, I think we have a poor ground for the BAP in this particular car essentially not allowing it to do its job because it cannot draw the needed current. We are correcting this and hope to have the car back on the rollers by Saturday. It has taken us a few MONTHS to get this car to boost when we commanded it to boost... and we were quite happy to command 20 and get 20psi. We thought we were home free. Whereas before we told the car to boost, and it told us to F-off, now it is boosting properly but gave us the finger on the needed fuel. Hopefully (fingers crossed) we will have this sorted and it will give us a Texas Mile speed a little North of 220 MPH.

Last edited by a moderator:

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Bring it on Kendall I'm ready when you are !

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
And for inquiring minds - like for sure, Clinton's...

Hopefully (fingers crossed) we will have this sorted and it will give us a Texas Mile speed a little North of 220MPH.

I look forward to the progress report. I think you meant to say "a little North of 226.4 MPH." :)

Last edited by a moderator:

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Under commit, over deliver. The motto that no one lets us get away with...

:cheers

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
I have absolutely no idea what anything you said means, but I'm glad you are out there for help as needed.
Thanks !

What he said!:confused

But, glad you guys are so sharp.:thumbsup

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Kendall are you using the standard BAP at 17 volts or the competition 20v version?

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
I look forward to the progress report. I think you meant to say "a little North of 226.4 MPH." :)

HEY???:skep

Just kidding, GO GET EM CHIP!:cheers:thumbsup I wish I could be there to see you break 230.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
HEY???:skep

Just kidding, GO GET EM CHIP!:cheers:thumbsup I wish I could be there to see you break 230.

It was Chip's editing, not my words!

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
It was Chip's editing, not my words!

:biggrin

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005

I never argue with the moderator, he is always right.