Over 18psi with the stock blower

SAGT

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2009
Finally got the Innovators West lower balancer and upper pulley on my car and it on the dyno last Friday. Boost peaked at 18.25lbs and settled to 17lbs about 5800and up. Car put down 658.5hp and 653.39 TQ on a warm day. Tuner felt the stock throttle body was the limiting factor. Might be able to get another 1-1.5psi out of the stock huffer with a new TB. Seems the lower balancer made a difference!

Last edited:

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
wow

pretty cool results

H

HHGT

Is the boost reading off the OEM gauge.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Heat.

The difficulty with driving the stock blower hard is keeping things cool. Power falls off rapidly at the track as IATs go up and timing is pulled. At the mile my stock SC was fading before the 1 mile mark. On the street with occasional short sprints heat is not a problem and this setup will work great.

Is it better to use a larger lower pully rather than a smaller blower pully?

Chip

Last edited:

SAGT

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2009
Is the boost reading off the OEM gauge.

No. I believe the stock gauge pegs aout at 12.5 or so. I had an separate gauge plugged right into the supercharger.

SAGT

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2009
The difficulty with driving the stock blower hard is keeping things cool. Power falls off rapidly at the track as IATs go up and timing is pulled. At the mile my stock SC was fading before the 1 mile mark. On the street with occasional short sprints heat is not a problem and this setup will work great.

Is it better to use a larger lower pully rather than a smaller blower pully?

Chip

I am running both the OD lower and the 2.8 upper. The lower by itself will only get you 2psi, but add the upper (which you are now overdriving by 10%) and you add 6 (maybe 7.5 with a aftermarket TB). Just the upper alone would get you 3 to 4 lbs. I am also running the rear exit headers which I have a feeling is lowering boost a bit.

H

HHGT

No. I believe the stock gauge pegs aout at 12.5 or so. I had an separate gauge plugged right into the supercharger.

I am keenly interested in who the Gauge manufacturer is and how you plugged it in to get your readings as I would like to get something setup in the engine bay to support my Whipple install.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Is there an upper limit for rpm for the Stock SC internals? ie bearings and rotor mating surfaces?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I am keenly interested in who the Gauge manufacturer is and how you plugged it in to get your readings as I would like to get something setup in the engine bay to support my Whipple install.

I use the same 3 bar GM MAP sensor that is used in by freeflyer 30PSI dash gauge and log the boost pressure using SCT Liveview. It can be had at many auto parts stores. Used by the GMC Syclone.

BTW, boost is not a good measure or torque, HP, or the air getting used by the engine. A better indication would be normalized MAF readings, RPM and ignition timing used.

Last edited:

SAGT

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2009

There is a port on the passenger side forward on the blower. Its about 3/8 cap with a small line coming out.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
Is there an upper limit for rpm for the Stock SC internals? ie bearings and rotor mating surfaces?

I run mine up to 6700 rpm with the TT/SC setup.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I run mine up to 6700 rpm with the TT/SC setup.

Is that with the stock pulley ratios?

Is that before, or after Soroush, passes you? :lol

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
i have the stock 1.8 L supercharger on my Lightning. i have had it ported by Apten too. i got it pullied up to 16 psi. stock was 8 psi. the stock redline on a Lightning is a mere 5,200 rpm's and i have mine tuned to shift at 5,900 rpm's. i have over 15,000 miles on my truck like this with a substantial part of those miles on the drag strip......

the stock Ford GT motor has no problems running up to 7,000 rpm's. in fact with just a whipple only that is the rpm in which you want to shift at in order to get the fastest speeds as whippled GT's make peak horsepower in excess of the stock 6,500 rpm's :thumbsup

Last edited:

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
Is that with the stock pulley ratios?

stock pulley

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
Wonder what an 18psi pulley with the twin turbos would do?????

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona

that would create way to much heat :ack

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
yea, you are right.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas

create less power. We found that the stock pulley on my TT/SC setup made more power than a smaller than stock pulley.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
create less power. We found that the stock pulley on my TT/SC setup made more power than a smaller than stock pulley.

Been there done that. Its pretty simple. The faster you spin the blower the more power you rob in the upper RPM range when you compound pressure.
Overdrive the blower = more power at the bottom less up top.
Underdrive the blower = less power at the bottom more up top.

H

HHGT

Any one ever design and build a variable pulley.