Optional Wheels? Whats with the cost?

Rob Harris

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Calgary
OK guys, first if all excuse my numbers.....I'm Canadian so they will be a bit different from yours.

When I purchased my Heritage, the window sticker said on the left... "bbs aluminum wheels included at no extra cost". On the right it said Optional equipment..."forged bbs wheels $4500".

The problem that I have is that the forged wheels are $4500 in the Ford Racing catalogue. If I understand things correctly, I paid exactly the same for the optional upgrade as I would have had to pay had I ordered the car with the standard wheels and went out and bought a second set of the forged wheels.

Am I wrong in this somewhere? The way I see it Ford owes me a set of standard wheels. Somebody set me straight please.

Fastback:confused :willy :eek

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
OK guys, first if all excuse my numbers.....I'm Canadian so they will be a bit different from yours.

When I purchased my Heritage, the window sticker said on the left... "bbs aluminum wheels included at no extra cost". On the right it said Optional equipment..."forged bbs wheels $4500".

The problem that I have is that the forged wheels are $4500 in the Ford Racing catalogue. If I understand things correctly, I paid exactly the same for the optional upgrade as I would have had to pay had I ordered the car with the standard wheels and went out and bought a second set of the forged wheels.

Am I wrong in this somewhere? The way I see it Ford owes me a set of standard wheels. Somebody set me straight please.

Fastback:confused :willy :eek

You get an A in the class!!!

That is called dealer and Ford profit. Most of us didn't get the chance to order a car, but some of the few lucky ones did without the wheels for the reasons you stated. There was an old thread on this topic.

Last edited:

Rob Harris

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Calgary
I would call it unjustified enrichment. I intend to contact Ford about it. For whatever that will be worth.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
It is my understanding that you could only get the optional (lighter) wheels on cars delivered in Canada. Also, you could not get the Mac radio upgrade. Something about making sure the weight of the car was kept low to keep it out of a different weight classification.

I am sure Ford charged full price for the wheels even though they were a "mandatory" option.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I would call it unjustified enrichment. I intend to contact Ford about it. For whatever that will be worth.

You'll get a form letter - if you get any reply at all - telling you, basically, "T.S."

'Waste of your time. Trust me.

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
That happens any time you upgrade.

Go buy a Yukon and tell them you want better wheels. Guess what you will get for your trade in wheels? ZIPPO.

As Blackice said, this has been discussed. If you were in a position to order, you would order with the standard then buy the optional. If you didn't order, oh well.

Something to complain about? Not really. Just the way it was. Not to be negative, but you didn't need to buy the car, so ............. the wheels are a small price to pay for the chance of a lifetime.

Positive is - welcome - great car choice and welcome to the group. :cheers

Rob Harris

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Calgary
Thanks AZGT. I am happy with the car. I just don't like being taken regardless of the amount. I think that it is something to complain about. If more people complained, then more people would listen (hopefully). The car is great but, truthfully, in the end we are all just renters. I don't value the car quite in the chance of a lifetime category.

With regard to the Yukon, yes you would get nothing for the trade in wheels. But you would also not pay full swak for the upgrade.

Thanks for the welcome. I've had the car for four months now but have not had a chance to drive it in our weather.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Rob, welcome to the family! (Get your picture changed from Spectatator to OWNER!)
I believe Chris is correct, the Canada bound GT's all had to have the forged BBS wheels. I too was one of the few lucky ones to order my car speced the way I wanted it (2 option) and so I got the standard Cast BBS wheels. Heavier than the forged units yes, but more representative of the period. To each their own....
Enjoy the car!

Rob Harris

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Calgary
Indy, I was trying to find the spot on this site where I get the spectator thing taken away. I had no luck. Do you know where I search?

MK2_GT

GTX1 Owner
Mar 25, 2006
Rob you can send a PM to DBK, that is what I did. Yikes, looks like he took care of it already... welcome to the club.

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
Welcome Rob. A fellow Canuck. I have not been able to drive mine either as weather is WINTER. Anyways all CDN cars for some reason were ordered with the optional wheels and painted calipers and the stripe package. There was no opportunity to custom order the cars. Yes it is an option and extra cost even though there was no choice. Here is the cost breakdown I got for the stock wheels complete:
cdn list prices are:
fronts #aa $699.27 ea
rears #ba $920.75 ea
caps $52.46 ea
nuts $1.78 ea
valve assembly $ 7.70 ea
The rest is how much your dealer will discount.
Total at list all complete before taxes if applicable
CDN $ 3516.28
I doubt you will get a second set of wheels. It is interesting that you mention "forged BBS wheels included at no extra cost" This is false advertising on its face. I will check my window sticker and let you know what it says.

Last edited:

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
That DBK is FAST!
You are now officially an "Owner"
Glad you are monitoring the site Dave...
Hope to see the Canadian contingent at one of the upcoming (Indy or SoCal) events.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
The Canadian cars were all shod with lightweight wheels and no Mac because of the much heavier front and rear bumper packages.

Rob Harris

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Calgary
My rear bumper fell off some how?????

Looks much better without it.

Anyways, having read a few of your posts, the reason for the Canuck cars coming with the wheels is not my beef. I like the optional wheels. the problem as I see it is that the Upgrade cost for the optional wheels is exactly the same as the full cost of just buying the wheels. To me that is wacky. Anyways, I'll put a post out as to how I made out when I get a chance. I sure like this forum.

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
Rob checked my window sticker and the forged wheels were clearly marked as an option along with the stripes and red calipers. Now the option cost for the forged wheels $4500. The dealer cost is $3960. Also the heritage paint is sold at the option price of $16,000. The dealer cost is $14,080. Painted calipers option $900 dealer cost is $792 and the stripes option is $6000. Dealer cost $5280. All funds above are in CDN $.

Rob Harris

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Calgary
:bang :bang :bang :rolleyes OK Guys......Here is my update on the Wheel's issue.

I sent a letter to the CEO of Ford Canada ( Mr. W Osborne). A Mr. Larry Nurse, Executive Contact Manager (AKA "the middle man") phoned me back. You may remember, my issue was that Ford has charged anyone with the optional wheels for both the full price of the standard wheels and the full price of the optional wheels. In essence we have been double charged for the optional wheels.
My conversation with Mr. Nurse was quite annoying as he had NO EXPLANATION. He communicated with me in an "ever so expected" pleasant yet condescending manner. He said that he worked really hard to anwer my question. He contacted the marketing department, contacted the dealer, etc etc. In the end the only thing that he could say was, and I quote, "what may be perceived as double charging is no more than the difference between ordering the standard equipment versus the option".

After I explained to Mr. Nurse that what he was saying was clear BS. we ended our conversation and he has left me with the contact information of the Ford legal Department.

That's my update 06FordGT. I guess I got what I expected.